GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Condensation on windscreen

Graham001

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi, Does any body have the same problem of the windscreen misting up in the mornings now the weather has turned cold , I know this is quite normal for any car but my 2016 gtd takes about 8 mins to clear before it’s safe to drive , I’ve seen other threads with some saying they never have this problem , others saying there’s only takes a couple of mins ..... I’ve tried all the suggestions in these older threads , like, heater on full , AC on , dry mats , etc , etc......... today I’ve tried socks full of kitty litter and still the windscreen is wet through. Any ideas , ..?? Thanks

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
Is it on the inside or the outside? That's gonna be the deciding factor on how to possibly fix your issue

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
You have damp in the car somewhere, it is as simple as that. Sort out what is damp and the condensation will go. Check the floor of the entire car, make sure there are no wet coats in the car either as that will cause it.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
This topic comes up pretty much every year on various forums. I’ve personally not experienced it in any VW I’ve owned. I keep my air con on 24/7 and have assumed the dehumidifying effect has stopped this excessive interior condensation that some owners experience.

@Graham001; possible causes and things to check
  1. Blocked pollen filter. I had this many years ago in a non-VW, and it was almost impossible to see out of the windows because of the excessive condensation build up!
  2. If you have a sunroof, blocked sunroof drain pipes can result in water draining into the car.
  3. Damaged / broken door speaker seals seems to be an issue on some mk7/7.5 Golfs, resulting in water getting into the cabin past the speaker seals.
  4. Damaged / poor fitting door or window seals.
  5. Damaged / perished drain grommet on the bottom of the tailgate. Reported on some VW forums. If the grommet is damaged / perished, the bottom end of the drain pipe from the tailgate handle / VW badge is loose inside the tailgate and water can drain from the tailgate into the boot.
  6. Damaged / cracked ribbed rubber sleeves covering the wiring from the top of the tailgate opening rear into the tailgate, or poor seal between the rubber sleeve and bodywork.
  7. Poor seal between the tailgate hinges and where they’re attached to the body shell above the tailgate opening - a problem on some early mk7’s.
  8. Damaged rubber washer between the roof and roof mounted aerial.
  9. Damaged or perished seal(s) between the rear light clusters and the car body.
  10. Any damp or wet clothing or wet umbrellas in the car?
As you’ve said your carpets are dry, it probably isn’t any of items 2 - 4. If it’s any of items 5 - 9, then you may have water in the spare wheel well below the boot floor. If it‘s any of items 6 - 8, tell tale signs might be water staining or dampness on the headlining in the rear of the car.

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
Clean your inside windshield really good. Sometimes the littlest amount of condensation will like to cling to that film. But also check everything that was mentioned above, check spare tire area due to some owners reporting water getting in and sitting there

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I think there's stuff you can put in the inside the windshield to prevent condensation

Same stuff for inside of ski goggles. Anti fog

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
As said already, it’s likely you have water in the car somewhere, all cars can condensate lightly sometimes if the weather and temps are right but if it’s down to that other cars where you live will be the same at the same time, if it’s heavy condensation and most other cars around you are not the same then it’s down to water in your car, no ifs or buts!

Graham001

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the reply’s , I’ll check the tyre well tomorrow , all the footwell carpets seem dry,
The pollen filter I’ll check as well. I would of never thought that could of coursed heavy condensation , thanks

tkmn

Like others have said, you have some moisture in the interior. Lots of upholstery will be slow on releasing all the humidity it gained during the summer. One more thing to try is leaving a window a crack open(1/8" to 1/4") when parking the car overnight. This gives moisture an easy path out. Obviously don't do this if it is going to rain or snow but it can make a difference.

Graham001

Passed Driver's Ed
I’ve checked the tyre well and it’s dry as a bone ,BUT I’ve been round footwells again and under mat on rear passenger side there is some moisture, it rained heavy last night so I presume it’s getting in through door seal, ?? I’ve also been looking at the A/C settings , does any body know what the supplementary heater is , I presume it’s extra for clearing the windscreen ?. Thanks

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
I’ve checked the tyre well and it’s dry as a bone ,BUT I’ve been round footwells again and under mat on rear passenger side there is some moisture, it rained heavy last night so I presume it’s getting in through door seal, ?? I’ve also been looking at the A/C settings , does any body know what the supplementary heater is , I presume it’s extra for clearing the windscreen ?. Thanks
Either the door seal or the seal / gasket around the speaker in that door, as the speaker seals / gaskets have been known to fail on the mk7/7.5 Golf, so it’s worth checking both the door seal and speaker seal / gasket.

If the speaker seal / gasket is at fault, when it rains or you when wash the car, water that runs down the window into the door cavity between the widow glass and the rubber trim below the window and drains into the footwell past the door mounted speaker seal / gasket.

If you google ‘mk7 Golf leaking speaker seals’ you’ll see it‘s not uncommon.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Supplementary Heater (referenced in the owners manual) is an auxiliary DIESEL heater such as a webasto, optional in some markets, http://www.vw-manual.co.uk/browse;j...5-2-1&preventShowIndivisualManualMessage=true! if the water is in the passenger footwell (left, UK) then either the speaker seal, door seal in general or quite possibly the HVAC fresh air inlet seal (above the glove box, under the wiper cowl), wherever it’s coming in it will be beneath the carpet so not visible, you’ll need to remove some trim and have someone run a hose while you watch for water inside, could also be coming in further toward the front of the car and running backward depending on how you park usually.

Last edited:

Graham001

Passed Driver's Ed
Does this come on automatic with maximum de mist , or can it be timed . Thanks

Attachments

• C4DCC151-2EAB-4E02-BA38-02EF3C51B5E3.jpeg
    C4DCC151-2EAB-4E02-BA38-02EF3C51B5E3.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,046