GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Compressor turbine toast

n8s12981

Installed a brand new is38. Turbine wheel got chewed up within 30 miles. I filled the oil ports on the turbo when I installed it. I don't know how this happened other than something in my intake getting suck into the turbo... Any ideas?

Attachments

• A4A75254-1118-4624-B8CA-6FDD8FAB470C.jpeg
    A4A75254-1118-4624-B8CA-6FDD8FAB470C.jpeg
    175 KB · Views: 159

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
Was there no sign of an object in there when you took the inlet off? How's the turbine wheel looking?

Hollywood0220

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
German/Japanese
Doesn’t appear to look out of the box New.
Are you running a “no filter” air box? It looks like fine granules blew through scuffing the blades....

n8s12981

No sign of any object when I pulled the inlet off, Just aluminum dust.No damage on the exhaust side. I'm running an apr intake. I cleaned the filter when I put it back together... No shaft play... Can I get a new compressor for these? Is that a thing??

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
No sign of any object when I pulled the inlet off, Just aluminum dust.No damage on the exhaust side. I'm running an apr intake. I cleaned the filter when I put it back together... No shaft play... Can I get a new compressor for these? Is that a thing??
As Diggs said but I would also consider the compressor housing junk for a standard wheel, it looks slightly damaged and the tolerances are most likely out of spec.

Littco sells L380 supercores that runs on IS38 tunes but has stronger bearings and improved compressor wheel.

https://www.littco.co.uk/l380-turbo-74-p.asp

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Wow tough break dude defenitly looks like something got in there.