GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Comprehensive Golf MK8 Reviews & Discussions

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
Well, that's your subjective opinion, and you are certainly entitled to it.But that doesn't make it relevant

Lol.. How is my subjective opinion not relevant, because it goes against your subjective opinion?

This conversation has evolved into, as you put it, people turning up there nose at Kia/Hyundai, and how those days are over.

My position is that no matter what argument you have for the Velocter, I find it a childish design pandering to the flat brimmed vape crowd. As such, I’ll never own one. If that describes your demographic, great, their marketing team has hit target. Just like the WRX/STI, Civic Type-R, and a the Focus ST/RS. These cars are too boy-racer for my likings, thus my subjective disinterest in the product.

I may be in contrast with your subjective opinions, but I’m mature enough to not assert your feelings are irrelevant because they differ.

scasey

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 GTI
I have the same opinion as Corpin pretty much. The Veloster is ugly as hell and also has a specific target demographic that isn't me.

zinfamous

Go Kart Newbie
I do have to say those hp jumps on the mk8 gti seem pretty nice, in the states we prob won’t get the full 290 performance version but maybe only slightly lower.

To me it sounds worth waiting for the mk8 over buying new mk7. The performance numbers higher and more features are going to be standard like hd lights, Sirius radio, bigger infotainment, dcc, more ambient lighting, etc. The current gti you have to buy one with a sticker of 35,000 to get even get some of those features. That’s what turned me off on buying the mk7, even though I could get a decent discount, the msrp was 35,200 for a gti!

Don't assume that the Mk8 GTI in the US, when it is available, won't start at ~$33-35k. I certainly assume that it will.

...and as for your pricing for the current models, I did get my new SE w/ Experience Package for $29.5k OTD (MD, with doc fees, taxes, tags, all the business rolled into that price). ...so they aren't always that expensive (Sticker on mine was $34.5k, pre tax, tags, doc fees, etc).

Anyway, there is no way the added features are going to see the same intro price that we now see. I think we are looking at current SE pricing and above for the Mk8 GTI whenever it is available. ---have to remember that inflation over the next ~3 years will play a roll, as well as whatever additional brainless tariffs are implemented against american consumers, by our own "leaders"...

CDM MK7

Ready to race!
Lol.. How is my subjective opinion not relevant, because it goes against your subjective opinion?

This conversation has evolved into, as you put it, people turning up there nose at Kia/Hyundai, and how those days are over.

My position is that no matter what argument you have for the Velocter, I find it a childish design pandering to the flat brimmed vape crowd. As such, I’ll never own one. If that describes your demographic, great, their marketing team has hit target. Just like the WRX/STI, Civic Type-R, and a the Focus ST/RS. These cars are too boy-racer for my likings, thus my subjective disinterest in the product.

I may be in contrast with your subjective opinions, but I’m mature enough to not assert your feelings are irrelevant because they differ.

I (think) what people might be getting on to is: if Kia/Hyundai just so happened to make your PERFECT car - every desired feature, performance, aesthetics, price point, etc. all exactly to your liking, would you still turn it down because it's a Kia/Hyundai?

I can totally understand not wanting one right now if they don't make a car that you like. Nothing at all wrong with that.

codypka

Go Kart Champion

What I am saying is not subjective. They make good cars these days. You can validate that by checking out the various auto publications where their cars are consistently ranked ahead many more expensive cars in non-subjective catagories such as performance, reliability, and value.

Regarding the N, I don't really love the design either, the GTI is a better looking car imo, the 3 door design I agree is a little silly. But the fact remains that stock for stock it runs circles around a GTI of the same price. It's an impressive machine, especially when you consider it's Hyundai's first car in the hot hatch segment

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 GTI rabbit
Don't assume that the Mk8 GTI in the US, when it is available, won't start at ~$33-35k. I certainly assume that it will.

...and as for your pricing for the current models, I did get my new SE w/ Experience Package for $29.5k OTD (MD, with doc fees, taxes, tags, all the business rolled into that price). ...so they aren't always that expensive (Sticker on mine was $34.5k, pre tax, tags, doc fees, etc).

Anyway, there is no way the added features are going to see the same intro price that we now see. I think we are looking at current SE pricing and above for the Mk8 GTI whenever it is available. ---have to remember that inflation over the next ~3 years will play a roll, as well as whatever additional brainless tariffs are implemented against american consumers, by our own "leaders"...

who knows what it will start at but it will have to be competitive with its competition. I don’t think it will start that high though and I don’t think it will have hologen lights, key turn start, no Sirius radio on base model either. Technology improves and the former becomes less expensive.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Ok. Wasn't too keen on the MK8 , but this actually looks good.

https://www.carscoops.com/2020/06/tuners-trick-out-the-new-mk8-vw-golf/amp/

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
IMO that lower front grille makes the front end look just plain ugly. 🤮. I don’t think the large honeycomb holes in the grille help the looks, and with those holes being so large, they’ll provide little - if any - protection for the radiator or a/c condenser from projectile road debris. Hopefully, VW will have plenty of both radiators and condensers in stock for when owners need replacements.

Those wider black sections on the lower corners of front grille are probably the best real indication yet of what the Golf R lower grille will look like - albeit they’re likely to be body coloured on the R

Mikeyd1

Ready to race!
Went in dealership last week in the Uk and one sales guy said they haven’t sold a single mk8 , they had a load there in stock and the interior was just awful cheap fabrics all over the seats. Vw will have to do something quick to move these mk8’s. I suspect in the next 6 month all cars will end up fully loaded and with some sort of styling pack. Like the s line Audi. And a major revamp for a early facelift

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Went in dealership last week in the Uk and one sales guy said they haven’t sold a single mk8 , they had a load there in stock and the interior was just awful cheap fabrics all over the seats. Vw will have to do something quick to move these mk8’s. I suspect in the next 6 month all cars will end up fully loaded and with some sort of styling pack. Like the s line Audi. And a major revamp for a early facelift

COVID-19 will be a hugely significant factor in the lack of mk8 Golf sales, as all UK dealership showrooms were closed from March 23rd to June 1st and the first mk8 cars didn’t arrive in showrooms until around mid March. That period of dealership closures is reflected in the UK new car sales figures; for April 2020 new car registrations were down 97% compared to April 2019, and the May 2020 figures were down 89% from the same month last year. So it won’t just be the mk8 Golf that have been suffering from little or no sales, as other manufacturers will have also experienced extremely low - or zero - new car sales since the first mk8 Golf models arrived in dealers’ showrooms.

It will be interesting though to see what discounts are available off the mk8 list prices, and what the finance deposit contributions are from VW Financial Services to help shift these cars.

IMO, the development budget of the mk8 Golf will have been impacted by development of the all electric ID3. With VW’s strategy being to focus on all electric vehicles (at least in Europe - and I’d expect the rest of the world too), the mk8 Golf maybe viewed within VW as a short term stop gap, and it won’t have been at the front of the queue when development budgets were decided. It’ll be interesting to see whether it has a shorter lifecycle than previous generations of Golf and how soon we’ll see the mk8.5 facelift model.

koalb

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 SE, PP, LP

Reviews are starting to trickle in from Europe. Autogefuel is very comprehensive and I like the way they do their reviews. Watching it right now as I post this.

Edit: I know this belongs in the MK8 forum but since it's so new, there's not much activity on there yet.

No hydraulic strut for the hood. All digital and touchscreen inside... Wtf Volkswagen? Am I the only one that likes knobs and buttons?

I love the cockpit as-is on my 2016. Technology integration is nice. Carplay isn't perfect. But I'm an analog guy.

I don't suspect I'm alone, especially when you consider 6MT is a popular configuration for GTI owners in the US.

What does VW market research know that I don't?