GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Comprehensive Golf MK8 Reviews & Discussions

maxwell

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GSW 6MT 4motion
Feeling better and better about my mk7.5 GSW with 4motion and 6MT, every day. The MK8's are a massive disappointment, don't even get me started on MT or wagons right now.

I guess I have a 'rare bird' on my hands.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
I saw a pic of one on air suspension. I do like the back end...but the frumpy front end will take some getting used to. Looking forward to see what the GTI and R will look like.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
I saw a pic of one on air suspension. I do like the back end...but the frumpy front end will take some getting used to. Looking forward to see what the GTI and R will look like.
My thoughts are that the GTi and R will change the way people feel about the mk8, they’re sure to look nicer, with the mk7 I don’t particularly like the look of the lower end models but really like the GTi, R, GTD and GTE not so much but it’s still ok! Last weekend I went and had a good look at the NEW 1 Series BMW, although the lower spec models looked ok inside and out, as with the Mk8 I didn’t really like the overall look, the M135i XDrive however, Wow! That thing looks great! Really really nice interior and a very aggressive rear end, front on it too is a little weird but it’s not bad, pictures on the web don’t do this car (M135i) justice, much better looking in person, BMW may have converted me! this could be where my money goes once it’s time to change the GTi.
76731BF8-A82E-4451-9A08-A4105B9C4EF7.jpeg

the dash and screens in particular do look remarkably similar to the mk8,
9A2AB150-A342-4A16-99BC-BB1EDBAC8AB4.jpeg
looked damn good in person, maybe the mk8 will look better up close too

Last edited:

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
Not keen that the centre touchscreen doesn't blend into the dash like on other VWs, looks a bit "DIY I bought this screen and it doesn't fit my car exactly but I'm gonna install it anyway", though not as bad on the Ford Fiesta. Considering, as some posters said, that the new interior was almost 'built around' the new screen and technology, the 'fit' is a a bit disappointing. On then flip, side I gotta say I DO like that new Park Assist will slot the car nose-first into a space, mine only parks in reverse, and does it very well, though it's happy to slot the car into a space I wouldn't normally consider, being too tight and all that. My own jury is still out on the Mk8....

q74

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
R
My thoughts on seeing re: the poor visual design of the digital screens/dash - VAG bean counters decided "can't make it too good, gotta diffrenciate from Audi A3 somehow!"

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
My thoughts are that the GTi and R will change the way people feel about the mk8, they’re sure to look nicer, with the mk7 I don’t particularly like the look of the lower end models but really like the GTi, R, GTD and GTE not so much but it’s still ok! Last weekend I went and had a good look at the NEW 1 Series BMW, although the lower spec models looked ok inside and out, as with the Mk8 I didn’t really like the overall look, the M135i XDrive however, Wow! That thing looks great! Really really nice interior and a very aggressive rear end, front on it too is a little weird but it’s not bad, pictures on the web don’t do this car (M135i) justice, much better looking in person, BMW may have converted me! this could be where my money goes once it’s time to change the GTi.

the dash and screens in particular do look remarkably similar to the mk8
looked damn good in person, maybe the mk8 will look better up close too
Now that looks amazing! Too bad the states don't get anything cool like that, per usual.

Mk7tsi3door

Go Kart Newbie
That's a great review. Personally like the new style, I think the front end will take some getting used to but I certainly dont hate it. It could use some physical buttons left yes lol even the seat heater buttons are on the screen gah

It looks very nice but by the time we have it in canada I beleive the id4 will be available here,or atleast some firm info, and possibly even the id3 may be available, and I think I would prefer to wait a little, and spend a little more for an electric when a good one comes out

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
Not keen that the centre touchscreen doesn't blend into the dash like on other VWs, looks a bit "DIY I bought this screen and it doesn't fit my car exactly but I'm gonna install it anyway", though not as bad on the Ford Fiesta. Considering, as some posters said, that the new interior was almost 'built around' the new screen and technology, the 'fit' is a a bit disappointing. On then flip, side I gotta say I DO like that new Park Assist will slot the car nose-first into a space, mine only parks in reverse, and does it very well, though it's happy to slot the car into a space I wouldn't normally consider, being too tight and all that. My own jury is still out on the Mk8....

Going nose first is the wrong way, you can fit a smaller spot going back first.

People always trying to prove it wrong, and fail. Now manufacturers are doing it too.

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Will reserve final aesthetic judgement until I see one in the sheet metal. Though according to VW, the fact that I'm on the wrong side of the Atlantic such judgement will be limited to the GTI and R. I will say I had a somewhat similar situation with the new 3-series when it was first introduced in pictures. However, having seen a number in person now the design has certainly grown on me.

Here's hoping the same can be true of the Mk8.

One thing I am immeasurably disappointed by is the abandonment of proper door handles on the interior of the car. Mk7 had great handles to anchor yourself in place while riding shotgun on a spirited drive, but Mk8 looks to have abandoned them in favor of those stupid door cubbies instead. My buddies Veloster N has those stupid things, and it's absolutely impossible to hold yourself in place while someone hoons the car.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
looks to be a Golf....my only Hate on it is digital dash/lack of knobs. One of those design/mfg features that should be banned. Moot anyways as I like to keep cars a long time and hope my Mk7 lasts (good so far!)

Mud

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Worth remembering that ONLY the top tier infotainment system will be fully touch controlled, there will be a physical volume control etc on the lower spec (arguably more common) systems, the current pro system is also buttonless, although the HVAC isn’t part of the current pro my understanding is that the HVAC on the mk8 will also be less touch control orientated when the top infotainment isn’t specified!

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 GTI rabbit
Worth remembering that ONLY the top tier infotainment system will be fully touch controlled, there will be a physical volume control etc on the lower spec (arguably more common) systems, the current pro system is also buttonless, although the HVAC isn’t part of the current pro my understanding is that the HVAC on the mk8 will also be less touch control orientated when the top infotainment isn’t specified!

where did you see hvac would be more buttons in lower trims. All reviews I’ve seen say hvac is always the same, touchscreen but smaller head unit will have volume/tune knob

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
where did you see hvac would be more buttons in lower trims. All reviews I’ve seen say hvac is always the same, touchscreen but smaller head unit will have volume/tune knob
Yes I agree, all reviews I’ve seen say the HVAC controls will be touch controlled whichever infotainment is fitted, however the sales manager at my usual dealership seems to think the HVAC controls on the lower spec models are likely to be different and went on to explain this is why that particular area is an individual panel, this is not fact however hence why I said ‘it’s my understanding’ and not ‘it will be‘.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

Usually the higher priced models get the upgrades and more standard features but in this case VW will be selling more lower priced models if this thread is any indication of sales.