GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Comprehensive Golf MK8 Reviews & Discussions

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG

Reviews are starting to trickle in from Europe. Autogefuel is very comprehensive and I like the way they do their reviews. Watching it right now as I post this.

Edit: I know this belongs in the MK8 forum but since it's so new, there's not much activity on there yet.

No hydraulic strut for the hood. All digital and touchscreen inside... Wtf Volkswagen? Am I the only one that likes knobs and buttons?

Last edited:

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 GTI rabbit
From his review, looks like the smaller 8.5 inch screen will have a volume knob and a knob to zoom, the bigger 10.5" no knobs. Hvac controls are still digital on both. All reviews so far have said all the touch pads and sliders is too much,

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
No hydraulic strut for the hood. All digital and touchscreen inside... Wtf Volkswagen? Am I the only one that likes knobs and buttons?

Those are 2 big takeaways for me too. The lack of a hood strut is just one visible sign of cost cutting. How much more went on that doesn't show (yet)? There is probably more cost cutting all over the place - components sourced from lowest bidder, other little things omitted, cheaper materials, etc. In the wake of Dieselgate, I fully expect this has occurred. The elimination of the hood strut is just one visible and obvious hint.

I really don't understand the interior design decisions at ALL. iPad stuck to the dash, elimination of knobs & buttons? Were these decisions made 5 years ago? Because many automakers have already tried this and failed, and have brought back knobs/dials & buttons for major functions like infotainment and climate controls. Not here! Everything is touch and "sliders", all of which will be a PITA to operate while driving. It's going to be very interesting to see how this stuff is accepted by customers. If VW in fact screwed this up, it will have major implications since the Golf is truly the brand's bread & butter and main source of revenue.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Those are 2 big takeaways for me too. The lack of a hood strut is just one visible sign of cost cutting. How much more went on that doesn't show (yet)? There is probably more cost cutting all over the place - components sourced from lowest bidder, other little things omitted, cheaper materials, etc. In the wake of Dieselgate, I fully expect this has occurred. The elimination of the hood strut is just one visible and obvious hint.

I really don't understand the interior design decisions at ALL. iPad stuck to the dash, elimination of knobs & buttons? Were these decisions made 5 years ago? Because many automakers have already tried this and failed, and have brought back knobs/dials & buttons for major functions like infotainment and climate controls. Not here! Everything is touch and "sliders", all of which will be a PITA to operate while driving. It's going to be very interesting to see how this stuff is accepted by customers. If VW in fact screwed this up, it will have major implications since the Golf is truly the brand's bread & butter and main source of revenue.

Yeah, that interior looks like it was made by Rubbermaid.
If radio and HVAC controls were separate from the screens, the screens and their lack of integration into the dash would actually be one of the least of my problems with the interior.
VW used to lead the way with superior interiors, giving us interior appointments and materials well above the price point of the car.
Now? It appears they've abandoned that in favor of gimmicks.
It'll be interesting to see how much they alienate potential repeat buyers.
Mazda has solidly surpassed this car in the interior department.

Last edited:

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
If you look just above the coolant reservoir on the autogefuel review you will see that the lower ball mount for the hydraulic hood strut is actually still there!, why would that be?, maybe some will have the strut fitted!

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 GTI rabbit

I read a review on car and driver from a few days ago and they usually have good inside info. They mentioned in the review that the digital tablets on the dash was one of the first design features from the beginning of the start of designing the mk8 so yea I would say that was atleast 5 years ago.

I think there will be some major changes over the years so I definitely wouldn't buy the first model year unless they want it to continue to fail but there is alot of room to fix this.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
I read a review on car and driver from a few days ago and they usually have good inside info. They mentioned in the review that the digital tablets on the dash was one of the first design features from the beginning of the start of designing the mk8 so yea I would say that was atleast 5 years ago.

I think there will be some major changes over the years so I definitely wouldn't buy the first model year unless they want it to continue to fail but there is alot of room to fix this.

Perhaps they're already working on a midcycle refresh that'll put some physical controls back in place where nature intended them to be.

Inka Orange

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit 6MT
While looking at the open hood shots, looks like 2 hood latches now - one at each corner - as opposed to the one in the center we've all known since...forever. Is this a new industry-wide thing?

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
While looking at the open hood shots, looks like 2 hood latches now - one at each corner - as opposed to the one in the center we've all known since...forever. Is this a new industry-wide thing?
Yeah the new polo also has two latches as does the new bmw 1 series.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie

I agree on the buttons.

Stupid decision.