GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Composition Media vs Discover Media System Differences in 2020 GTI?

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
Looking through the 2020 Golf brochure (as downloaded), I'm confused. The GTI SE and Autobahn show that the Composition Media touchscreen sound system with 8" color display is standard at no additional cost. But, it also shows for Autobahn only that a Discover Media touchscreen navigation system with 8" color display is standard at no additional cost.

What is VW indicating here? Is it that the systems are the same, other than the Autobahn adds navigation? Thank you.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
On the low end system, you lose the CD player in the glove box, and also lose SiriusXM. If neither of those matter to you, and you're happy using CarPlay or Android Auto for navigation, then you might be perfectly happy with the lower end option.

Autobahn with Discover Media also includes Fender sound if I'm not mistaken - which means better speakers, spare-mounted subwoofer, and 480-watt amp.

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
Thanks KevinC -- your explanation is far more clear than VW's. Do you know if the the low end system includes a USB input? All of my music is on a thumb drive, so USB is important to me.

Gr33nBunny

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE 6mt
My 2018 SE has the composition media with glovebox mounted CD player and SD card slot with the aux and USB in the cubby forward of the shifter. As far as I'm aware, from 16+ the USB is standard across all mk7s

averyislost

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
Have a 2020 GTI S, can confirm there is nothing in the glovebox at all. No CD player, no SD card slot, not satellite radio, but DOES have one USB C port in the cubby. Works with Apple Carplay/Android Auto just fine.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
You should also be able to use that USB-C port to play music from a USB stick. A better way to access your own music than using Bluetooth, which is lossy and has other navigation issues. Coming from USB (or SD card on cars so equipped) also adds "Coverflow" scrolling ability - swipe back and forth through your library. You can't do this from Bluetooth.

Branman

Just finished watching Fast&Fuzzynuts
Have a 2020 GTI S, can confirm there is nothing in the glovebox at all. No CD player, no SD card slot, not satellite radio, but DOES have one USB C port in the cubby. Works with Apple Carplay/Android Auto just fine.
Anyway you can pop that usb-c port out and take a pic of the part number? It’s just clipped into the cubby.

Gr33nBunny

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE 6mt
The 2020 Jetta also has the USB-C port, my wife's friend just picked one up. Didn't check the glovebox though.