GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Comfortable coilovers?

Aceeon

Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Hey all, recently I installed some 19x8.5 rotiforms on my gti and I love the look and feel but I need to go lower. I want coilovers for the easier install, adjustability, and the fact that I don’t have to replace the shocks later. I’ve looked around here and on the other GTI forum and would love some more input. I’ve done a ton of searching and googling but feel free to link threads as I may have missed them.

I’m looking for the most comfortable coilovers at a decent price ($1000-$1300) with a decent drop.

I’ve heard good things about H&R street performance, HPA SHS, and KW street comfort coilovers. Do any of you have any input or experience with these?

I’m generally just trying to get rid of the wheel gap, I don’t need to be slammed. I’d love a ride as close to stock as possible but I do realize that going lower does sacrifice ride quality.

Attachments

• 6D34AB1F-359A-41D9-9D77-A492A2F3BC42.jpeg
    6D34AB1F-359A-41D9-9D77-A492A2F3BC42.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 169

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
H&R street performance, KW Street Comfort, and the new EQT balanced line coils are all great comfort oriented street coilovers in your price range: might need to stretch it a bit beyond $1300 but not too much. Look into peoples’ impressions/reviews of the EQT coils, there’s an official thread for them on this forum.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
I like my EQT Coilovers, they are comfy on the softer settings. I’ve also heard the Bilstein PSS10 is quite soft, but I’ve also heard of the strut nut exploding on those so YMMV.

Aceeon

Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I like my EQT Coilovers, they are comfy on the softer settings. I’ve also heard the Bilstein PSS10 is quite soft, but I’ve also heard of the strut nut exploding on those so YMMV.
Just checked out that EQT thread, looks like the rear coils couldn’t go very low? Do you have the standard or super low coils? Any pics of your car would be appreciated too :)

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Just checked out that EQT thread, looks like the rear coils couldn’t go very low? Do you have the standard or super low coils? Any pics of your car would be appreciated too :)

Rear coils go low enough for me, and I have lots of adjustment room left over. Not sure what the issue is with that the one guy. I have the standard springs.

FTG is 25 3/8ths
68F72167-6521-46E2-87DB-5DEBE7C52C24.png
065F41D1-F0DD-4FC4-920E-B420333738AA.jpeg

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Wow that looks pretty low actually, I would only go a tad lower. Thanks for the pics! How would you compare the ride to stock at your ride height?
I measured stock height at 26.25” front and 26.75” rear. So this is about 1” lower in front and 1.5” lower rear.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Unpopular opinion.

Relative comfort can be had by picking the right spring rate front and rear, and having enough rebound adjustment to dampen the spring/body.

Usually, off-the-shelf coilovers don't get this right, even my Ohlin Road and Track suspension shipped with what I think is too soft rear springs.

What also contributes to comfort is the shocks ability to blow-off high bump and rebound hits from the road. Shocks above $2000 may have this feature.

Aceeon

Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I’m definitely still curious what experiences people have had with the coilovers I mentioned. Some people say they’re never comfortable, some people say coils are better than stock. Weird how’s there’s such a divide

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
Kw v1. Drove on them for 2 Canadian winters, zero issues. Very comfy.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
If you're going for "comfort"...go with some Sport level springs like the Neuspeed Sport or APR springs. You can pair them with some Bilstein or Koni struts. The spring rate on coilovers will be double the ones on lowering springs. If you just want to get rid of the wheel gap and want to retain a "comfortable" ride...go with springs.

With that said...I'm on Bilstein B14 coilovers. At least for me...they feel pretty good for a street coilover. Hard hits are still hard...but for the most part its not like a jarring hit. I've ridden in cars where it feels like you're going hit your head on the headliner when going through a dip in the road. They also don't clunk and knock. The swear the stock suspension in my GF's Cooper S feels harsher over hard hits than my Bilstein. I think the B14 are only $200 more than a spring and strut combo.

Everybody also has a different idea of what comfortable is.

Last edited:

Aceeon

Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Thanks for the help guys, I will likely be going with the EQT coils. They look excellent, especially with the adjustable dampening for the price.

Aceeon

Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Today's oxymoron list:

Jumbo Shrimp
Military Intelligence
Sanitary Landfill
Open Secret
Original Copy
Comfortable Coilovers
Super helpful!!!! But many people claim coils like H&R and EQT to be almost as comfortable as stock, just slightly firmer.