GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Colorado tries to update its traction law and misses.

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
https://leg.colorado.gov/sites/default/files/documents/2019A/bills/fn/2019a_hb1207_r1.pdf

The bill requires motor vehicles driving on I-70 between milepost 133 (Dotsero) and milepost 259 (Morrison), from September 1 to May 31 of each year, to be equipped with:
• tire chains or an alternative traction control device (i.e. cable chains);
• four-wheel drive or all-wheel drive with tires that have a tread depth of three-sixteenths of an inch and that are adequate for the conditions; or
• tires with any form of the mountain-snowflake symbol (i.e. M&S, M+S, or M/S) imprinted by the manufacturer and a tread depth of at least three-sixteenths of an inch.

Under the bill, "equipped" means that a motor vehicle uses or carries the appropriate traction equipment for icy or snow-packed conditions.

A noncommerical violator of these requirements commits an existing class B traffic infraction and is subject to a $100 fine and a $32 surcharge. If a violation results in the closure of at least one lane of traffic, the violator is subject to a penalty of $500 and a $156 surcharge.

The mountain-snowflake symbol is:

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
They changed the wording

https://leg.colorado.gov/bills/hb19-1207

(B) WHEN ICY OR SNOW-PACKED CONDITIONS EXIST ON THE HIGHWAY, THE DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION MAY RESTRICT TRAVEL ON OR USE OF ANY PORTION OF A STATE HIGHWAY BY ANY MOTOR VEHICLE UNLESS THE MOTOR VEHICLE IS EQUIPPED WITH THE FOLLOWING: TIRE CHAINS OR AN ALTERNATE TRACTION DEVICE; FOUR-WHEEL DRIVE WITH TIRES THAT HAVE A TREAD DEPTH OF AT LEAST THREE SIXTEENTHS OF AN INCH AND THAT ARE ADEQUATE FOR THE CONDITIONS; ALL-WHEEL DRIVE WITH TIRES THAT HAVE A TREAD DEPTH OF AT LEAST THREE SIXTEENTHS OF AN INCH AND THAT ARE ADEQUATE FOR THE CONDITIONS; OR TIRES THAT ARE IMPRINTED BY A MANUFACTURER WITH A MOUNTAIN-SNOWFLAKE, "M&S", "M+S", OR "M/S" SYMBOL OR THAT ARE ALL-WEATHER RATED BY THE MANUFACTURER AND THAT HAVE A TREAD DEPTH OF AT LEAST THREE SIXTEENTHS OF AN INCH.

The elected morons made it even worse.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 Golf R Stg3 APR
Elected morons usually make it worse, it's like a basic job requirement. What's really sad is that they have to legislate common sense. The fact that people are too stupid to realize they need good tires in good condition to drive in the snow and ice is a sad statement on society.

AERO

Go Kart Newbie
Last fall (right after Thanksgiving) I was on I70 driving to Denver from the mountains when a hard blizzard hit. The roads were really really bad.

The number of accidents and cars that went off the road was unbelievable.

I for one support this law.

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
Last fall (right after Thanksgiving) I was on I70 driving to Denver from the mountains when a hard blizzard hit. The roads were really really bad.

The number of accidents and cars that went off the road was unbelievable.

I for one support this law.

You do realize the law makers f'd up the law, right? You can run summer tires and if it has the M+S logo on it, with sufficient tread depth, it's compliant with the law.