GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CoilPack Bolt Stripped Thread

JJ_MK7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI Autobahn
Need some advice on fixing this issue I just ran into. Cannot tighten down one of my coil pack because I accidentally stipped the threads on the block.

Any advice on how to fix this issue would be extremely helpful.

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
I've never pulled one of those bolts out and found clean threads so I always have 4 new ones on hand when I change spark plugs.

This is after snapping one of the bolts the first time I changed the plugs, leaving half the bolt in the valve cover. I had to extract it and then re-thread that hole. Not sure why we went with such soft metal and oval bolts but what can ya do.

JJ_MK7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI Autobahn
Thanks...this is an M6 tap right. Needs to be one with a long shank. I have a set but intended for drill application.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Grab a helicoil and call it a day.

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
This is the exact kit you need.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001C67OZA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My advice to you would be to watch 2-3 youtube videos and go from there. The most important things are

1. Don't drill too far. You can use painter's tape on the bit to ensure this doesn't happen.
2. You need to make sure you are drilling level.

If you aren't comfortable with the job after watching a few videos, take the kit to a mechanic and pay them to do it. Shouldn't take more than an hour's labor.

I replaced the awful stock coil grounds with EQT's kit here. Same process, watch someone else do it on youtube.

https://eqtuning.com/products/eqt-coil-grounding-kit-cgk-for-ea888-3

If you do the coil bolt replace, here are the new bolts.

https://www.mcmaster.com/91292A143/

Here's the kit to pull the wires and rerun the ground.

https://www.amazon.com/Prokomon-Universal-Automotive-Connector-Extractor/dp/B087F7VSS3

Last edited:

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
heli-coils are tricky the first few times. This is something you want someone who has done one before to guide/learn you. FWIW Recoil brand has a better install tool.

Mk7Matt

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Been there, done that. Here's the kit I used to repair mine.

1668456712997.png

Bryans12v

Ready to race!
Car(s)
19 GTI, 22 Tig Rline
I would look into a coil grounding kit that grounds the coils to the chassis. This will eliminate the dumb wires and double nuts and the bolts would then just merely be mechanical hold down for the coils which doesnt require much torque.

Secondly, toss the stock bolts. The threaded portion of the bolt is triangular, its not completely cylindrical and this makes them prone to stripping the threads.

For those that havent had this issue yet, using the right tools with correct torque specs will prevent this from ever happening.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I would look into a coil grounding kit that grounds the coils to the chassis. This will eliminate the dumb wires and double nuts and the bolts would then just merely be mechanical hold down for the coils which doesnt require much torque.

Secondly, toss the stock bolts. The threaded portion of the bolt is triangular, its not completely cylindrical and this makes them prone to stripping the threads.

For those that havent had this issue yet, using the right tools with correct torque specs will prevent this from ever happening.
Those bolts have a torque spec? I usually stop at hand tight.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT

You don't need to torque those coil pack bolts down. Just hand tighten them and then a quarter to maybe a half turn with a wrench afterwards.

Last edited: