GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Coilovers or Aftermarket Struts + Springs for Daily Driver?

Which suspension to go with for lowering + comfortable daily driver?

• BC Racing BR Series Coilovers

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • KW V1 Coilovers

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • KW V2 Coilovers

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • KW Street Comfort Coilovers

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • Koni Yellow + H&R Lowering Springs

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • Bilstein B8 + H&R Lowering Springs

Votes: 19 37.3%
  • Other

Votes: 13 25.5%

• Total voters

TheContender09

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf R
Glad I found this thread because I’ve been wondering the same thing. Sounds like EQT coilovers are worth seriously considering. I was leaning towards some bilstein b8’s with neuspeed or eibach springs.

Here’s a question that weighs into my decision…which route is easier to install? Coilovers or a new strut/shock combo? I’m no expert mechanic so if one is definitively easier than that would play into my decision. My approach is always to try to take apart as little as possible so as to have the smallest chance of messing anything up 😂
Springs/strut combos are easier to install. If you go with the coilover route and they have camber adjustments, you will have to cut your strut towers to be able to use the said adjustments.

225A006D-DC84-4A47-A1D4-B7EF5595806D.jpeg

AzTRgti

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GTI
Springs/strut combos are easier to install. If you go with the coilover route and they have camber adjustments, you will have to cut your strut towers to be able to use the said adjustments.

View attachment 228382
Oh shit I didn’t know that! Makes sense tho. I found a urotuning strut/shock install kit that comes with all the hardware and mounts/bearings. Says I can do the install without having to take the stock assembly apart just unbolting it.

Is that as easy as it sounds? Unbolt the strut from the top, unbolt it from the wheel, support the wheel and just pull the stock assembly out? Assemble the new strut/spring outside the car and reverse the steps? Be nice to have the stock assembly in one piece to install back on the car if needed.

TheContender09

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf R
Oh shit I didn’t know that! Makes sense tho. I found a urotuning strut/shock install kit that comes with all the hardware and mounts/bearings. Says I can do the install without having to take the stock assembly apart just unbolting it.

Is that as easy as it sounds? Unbolt the strut from the top, unbolt it from the wheel, support the wheel and just pull the stock assembly out? Assemble the new strut/spring outside the car and reverse the steps? Be nice to have the stock assembly in one piece to install back on the car if needed.
For the most yes. It’s is straightforward like that. But it’s not that easy to pull the strut out. You need to spread the spline apart in order for the strut to slide out. Can be kinda difficult if you don’t have the right tools

AzTRgti

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GTI
For the most yes. It’s is straightforward like that. But it’s not that easy to pull the strut out. You need to spread the spline apart in order for the strut to slide out. Can be kinda difficult if you don’t have the right tools
What are the right tools if you don’t mind me asking?

bfury5

Autocross Champion
you don't *have* to cut the strut mount off to use the camber plates. They are harder to adjust if you don't cut, but still easy. I set mine maxed out and then drilled just a small hole to access the shock adjuster

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
Ordered these yesterday.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-parts/mk7-8v-adjustable-damping-coilover-system/003929lb01~arw/

I know a lot of guys don't like ECS but I haven't had any problems with them.
Were you able to install this? I am on the fence right now. I have a set of NIB H&R OE Sport, and don't know if I rather buy Koni struts/shocks and Eurosport camber insert, or get the ECS coilover with Eurosport insert or the Godspeed MonoMAX (I thought about the MonoSS but not getting pink shocks, we are not in the 80's anymore)

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Were you able to install this? I am on the fence right now. I have a set of NIB H&R OE Sport, and don't know if I rather buy Koni struts/shocks and Eurosport camber insert, or get the ECS coilover with Eurosport insert or the Godspeed MonoMAX (I thought about the MonoSS but not getting pink shocks, we are not in the 80's anymore)
Yes and I'm relatively happy with them but getting them dialed in has been a struggle to eliminate harshness in the front. If I was doing it over I would just get the Koni struts/shocks.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
Yes and I'm relatively happy with them but getting them dialed in has been a struggle to eliminate harshness in the front. If I was doing it over I would just get the Koni struts/shocks.

Rocking EMD still on OEM struts, lol. So far they've been holding up. Super smooth ride thus far. I mean, when I hit something hard, it hits hard, but I haven't had too many of those. I'd probably get Koni struts eventually once I notice I'm taking more slams and they feel harsher.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
SonicBloom, the B16 info says they create a 30-50mm drop. This is more than I want. Is tis what you are seeing??

(I'm leaning towards H&R OE /Koni yellows for a .75" +/- drop). Old dude, need a reasonable ride/no scraping)
ss

EQT coilovers can get you OEM-height if you want. Can also go super low, or wherever you want in between. Quality kit

SonicBloom

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
SonicBloom, the B16 info says they create a 30-50mm drop. This is more than I want. Is tis what you are seeing??

(I'm leaning towards H&R OE /Koni yellows for a .75" +/- drop). Old dude, need a reasonable ride/no scraping)
ss

Most vendors post the wrong spec. I think the correct drop for a GTI is 15mm minimum and other MQB models are 30mm. Check the Bilstein website. I had mine set to 25.75” fender to ground and I still have room to go higher. I’m also a tiny bit higher now compared to when I had H&R OE Sport springs.

https://cart.bilsteinus.com/details...bmodel=1342536658022292686&Pos=Front and Rear

Last edited: