GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Coilover noises

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I read through the go fund listing and they didn’t address that scenario also… not as an invest… but think of it as a high risk interest free loan.

I would think if they are down this road (go fund me) they may have Already went down the road of trying to get investors… reality is what they are selling and offering with services is probably tough to show a plan where is highly profitable to where any banks or investors would bite -I’m sure @GTI Jake can attest to this I’m sure… small shop local work is not a high margin profit market as they have to go through too many layers/tiers of others profits to even get to their final product.

I’m not in the loop on the gofund thing, but as far as banks/investors are concerned I didn’t do anything of the sort.

Let’s just say my wife would LOVE it if I closed Baun Performance & worked OT occasionally at the airline instead.

tigeo

Autocross Champion

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Ehh, stock left me wanting…better rear control
I'd say stock dampers/springs with sway bars wouldn't be a bad setup. Stock springs and Koni actives is what @DerHase is running with f/r sways. The only downside to the lowering springs is the loss of bump travel in my experience.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
I know @xXDavidCXx has experience with the Koni Special Actives (in fact he was one of the primary people who swayed my decision to go that direction). IMO the shocks give the rear control that the car needs. The rear shocks are the primary problem with these cars from the factory IMO. I'm looking forward to running them at VIR this weekend. They definitely added more control for auto-x.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
The only reason to preload your coilovers is if your shocks do not have enough overall travel, or are the wrong dimensions to make it useable travel! Or if your springs are too soft for the given amount of available travel.
Yes and no - if you have some Bilstein coilovers you will need to adjust the preload within their range to get the ride height where you have some bump - I don't think that's a poor design. I agree if you have to crank up the preload a shitload to do it your statement holds true...you need higher rate springs or the design isn't really for the car in the first place.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Yes and no - if you have some Bilstein coilovers you will need to adjust the preload within their range to get the ride height where you have some bump - I don't think that's a poor design. I agree if you have to crank up the preload a shitload to do it your statement holds true...you need higher rate springs or the design isn't really for the car in the first place.

They also don't have independent upper/lower collars which is what my comment was primarily aimed at. On the Bilsteins it'll be a function of shock body dimensions vs spring rate and available threads on the body that determines where they ride. They're also what I'd consider a bit of a "medium" spring rate at only ~2x stiffer than stock up front (and slightly less than that out back once you factor in the motion ratio). Regardless they use an OEM upper spring seat. You can't possibly NOT have it preloaded or else it'll have a bunch of problems because of the OEM strut mounts.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
They also don't have independent upper/lower collars which is what my comment was primarily aimed at. On the Bilsteins it'll be a function of shock body dimensions vs spring rate and available threads on the body that determines where they ride. They're also what I'd consider a bit of a "medium" spring rate at only ~2x stiffer than stock up front (and slightly less than that out back once you factor in the motion ratio). Regardless they use an OEM upper spring seat. You can't possibly NOT have it preloaded or else it'll have a bunch of problems because of the OEM strut mounts.
Ok yes, at the adjustable body ones....yeah, really just need to get the spring rate in-tune with the corner weigh and I *think* that's why those style coilovers usually are touted as needed "no preload" or v. little like a few mm to keep the springs seated....if they sag too much, you just up the rate vs. cranking the preload too much.

Roald

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI mk 7 2017
I know @xXDavidCXx has experience with the Koni Special Actives (in fact he was one of the primary people who swayed my decision to go that direction). IMO the shocks give the rear control that the car needs. The rear shocks are the primary problem with these cars from the factory IMO. I'm looking forward to running them at VIR this weekend. They definitely added more control for auto-x.
I WISH I had done this. Hindsight I guess.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I WISH I had done this. Hindsight I guess.
So many think coilover is the only way but really, unless you are super into the show/stancy/photo shoot scene/thing (not judging BTW!), not having the fine tuning ability for ride height shouldn't be a huge deal and a cup kit with sport spring/damers is a great way to go for a street car or street car you want to track sometimes.

Roald

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI mk 7 2017
Can someone point me towards some information on the Special Actives?
Primarily springs.

I've tried searching but I am not finding the threads or posts discussing this.
I'm trying to piece together options and am curious what springs I would want to be looking for.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Primarily springs.

I'm trying to piece together options and am curious what springs I would want to be looking for.
I believe the Koni reds (special actives) are designed for the stock springs...BUT that could just mean stock length springs more than stock rate but @DerHase is the man on that. Koni markets the sport/yellow as the one to run with sport springs.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
I’m at VIR with them now (on stock springs). Ran a 2:12.5. Prior best was 2:13.9. Changes were front sway bar on stiff vs soft (H&R 26mm), koni SA, and offset camber bushings. I think all contributed a bit but the shocks for sure are what are making 120 through the esses possible without feeling nervous. Will post more after the weekend is over.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I believe the Koni reds (special actives) are designed for the stock springs...BUT that could just mean stock length springs more than stock rate but @DerHase is the man on that. Koni markets the sport/yellow as the one to run with sport springs.
Yeah, different platform but from what I seen with the passat (same as golf mk5&6) that even with an eibach prokit the SA/FDS they didn’t pair well with anything other than stock heights and rates as I’ve read they get jitters 🤷🏼‍♂️

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Primarily springs.

special actives are designed for no more than a 10mm drop. driver gear springs are about as much as you'd want to throw at them.