GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Coilover Loose steering!?

dleej30

Ready to race!
There fixed, what I am asking is... Is it normal after installing coilovers for the steering to become loose, loose like driving your VW GTI or Jetta then driving a Nissan altima. That is the closest way I can describe how loose the steering feels. I have read countless threads and some report loose steering feeling others say u must have done something wrong double check your work. I myself installed one coilover and it took over 5 hrs I have yet to install the other side because I'm sore as fuck, I have an L4-5 hernia disks. I'm now on vicodin till the swelling goes down then I will install the other side. Sorry for the drug fueled previous posting.

Last edited:

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
So one coilovers is installed and you are doped up on Vicodin? I'd say loose steering is to be expected, lol. Install the rest or have a shop finish for you as you sound like you are 29 years old going on 93.

dleej30

Ready to race!
Well thanks for the reply, nit sure if you intended to be rude or not towards the end but thank you.
I am 36 years old, and yes I'm technically high right now. I am disabled and was forced into medical retirement Sep 24th 2013 I refuse to let being disabled dictate what I do in my life I rarely take meds because I don't like the feeling of my life going by in a blur.

16 years in the Army and one deployment overseas to Iraq at the start of the ground war in 03 until easter in 04. I was a wrecker op and that's were most of my injuries occurred recovering equipement .
Combat, check
Mechanic experience, check
NCO Corps, check
16 years serving my country, check
2 herniated disks and severe gout with a half ripped knee cap, check
High blood pressure, check
PTSD, that's what I'm told
So thank you for being rude and presumptive much like many people are on the internet, keyboard bullys that would never talk that way to a man's face are less than entertaining.

I'm not asking for anyone to stop by and be a jerk, just a quick Q&A.

Fleron2301

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for serving our country. :)

As you the loose steering, you only have one side installed? Is this with the wheels on the ground? Are the sway bar links attached? It's possible that lowering the car would make it looser otherwise. I would just finish up the install (take your time) and then check it out.

dleej30

Ready to race!
No thanks needed, wanted to serve since I was 5 years old. I was Army and my littlle brother Marine Corps. We were 3rd generation of military service.

Thanks for the reply Fleron, yes the wheels are on the ground I needed to close the garage and I re-installed the stock sway link as well. Still one side is installed, I am feeling pretty good now after the swelling has subsided so i will get the other front coilover slapped on in the am.

Never installed coilovers before in my life, most suspension work I have done was just R&R. I am sure the other side will be a breeze now though, i learned a few things after the first install and I wont soon forget it.

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
I'm more then a little confused about your question but as for your back ask for some Mobic. Mobic with the narcotic help a lot. I have my L5 / S1 fused and have been living with pain for the past 2.5 years and will for the rest of my life because my back is so fucked.

dleej30

Ready to race!
What I was basically asking was, is it normal to have loose front end steering feel after installing coilovers.

I have only installed one and it was a MF, I stopped work after first front coilover was installed because I was in to much pain to continue to work on the car. I moved the car so that i could close the garage door and had noticed that the normal very responsive steering the car previously had was replaced with a loose sloppy feeling.

I had no idea that I would experience this when installing the coilovers. I have since learned that it is indeed a common occurrence with the installation of said coilovers.

The sloppy loose felling is more distinct when installing one coilover and then stopping to move the car for whatever reason, in my case i put one on and stopped for the day because I was seriously in a lot of pain.

Nice tip GG, I will have to ask the doc at my next appointment at the VA clinic. It sucks that when I have the urge to work on my car i am always paying for it later. If I had the money to afford to have the job done for me, I would still do the job myself because I take pride in the fact that when the car looks nice i did it.

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
What I was basically asking was, is it normal to have loose front end steering feel after installing coilovers.

I have only installed one and it was a MF, I stopped work after first front coilover was installed because I was in to much pain to continue to work on the car. I moved the car so that i could close the garage door and had noticed that the normal very responsive steering the car previously had was replaced with a loose sloppy feeling.

I had no idea that I would experience this when installing the coilovers. I have since learned that it is indeed a common occurrence with the installation of said coilovers.

The sloppy loose felling is more distinct when installing one coilover and then stopping to move the car for whatever reason, in my case i put one on and stopped for the day because I was seriously in a lot of pain.

Nice tip GG, I will have to ask the doc at my next appointment at the VA clinic. It sucks that when I have the urge to work on my car i am always paying for it later. If I had the money to afford to have the job done for me, I would still do the job myself because I take pride in the fact that when the car looks nice i did it.

I wouldn't worry about it since you only have one side installed.

Make sure you install the strut mounts in the correct orientation.

PetrolHead

When's the next track day
Only having one side installed could really mess up suspension geometry and steering. As such, don't worry about loose steering feeling until you have everything installed and have the car properly aligned. While you have it up in the air for the other side, check to make sure the strut mounts are installed correctly, the sway bar end-links are installed and tightened, and that everything is double-checked tight.

Both my father and father-in-law suffer from back problems. You can either give up and become a vegetable or live your life. Good for you on living your life, just take it easy on some of your activities so as not to aggravate it. Honestly, installing suspension is one of the hardest things you could do with your back. A lot of bending, lifting bent over and sitting on the ground. My back always hurts after working on suspension, and mine is healthy. Take it easy and good luck!

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
Your suspension is half-installed, and therfore, fubar.

Save the worries and concerns for when the install is 100% completed, because your geometry is nowhere near being correct.

dleej30

Ready to race!
LOL yes the new upper strut mounts are indeed correctly oriented pointing front to back. what i am unsure of is at what side the arrows should be on close toward tire or closer to motor. I swear that when I pulled oem off it was closer to the tire, but that doesnt mean it was ''right''.

I am having some of the most fun I have had in years and Im knee deep in grease and oil. Maybe this experience is unique but I am actually enjoying this work on my car it just so happens it a bitch on my body though!

Thank you guys for the reply's I do appreciate it even the smart ass ones lol and im not really concerned as much as I was curious as to wtf was going on. I really had no clue what to expect but i expect that when I am all done and have new tires and rims on i will be enjoying the cruise in my car! I finished the rear install this morning, OMG that was so damn EASY!!! now to the remaining front drivers side.