GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Coilover install price?

draza74

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
17 GTI
So I have a set of Raceland coilovers with 034 top mounts and I plan to slam them on the lowest settings.
How much do you think that should cost? I'm getting quotes for fucking 1000 for this BS.
I would think since there is tech. less work involved with mine that it should be max 4 hours on shop rates.
Max $500.
I was thinking 350 or am I stupid?

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Huge variation based on location.
You having mounts should make for an easier install though (based on NO personal experience :D)

Tx - coilover install with new mounts was $480. That included 1 extra height adjustment

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Be prepared to redo that installation yearly as you’ve selected the two worst quality options for coilovers and mounts.

I’d recommend learning to DIY the job. Don’t forget you’ll need an alignment afterwards, but at least you’ll be saving on labor even after buying tools.

DIY guide: (NEVER use an impact on strut mount installation)

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...pring-install-diy-tips-tools-and-pics.337350/

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

draza74

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
17 GTI
Be prepared to redo that installation yearly as you’ve selected the two worst quality options for coilovers and mounts.

I’d recommend learning to DIY the job. Don’t forget you’ll need an alignment afterwards, but at least you’ll be saving on labor even after buying tools.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...pring-install-diy-tips-tools-and-pics.337350/
What do you mean i'll have to redo it?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
What do you mean i'll have to redo it?

He means that you bought literally the worst combination of parts and you'll be replacing the coilovers because they're hot garbage and will fail in a year or so and the 034 camber plates require constant tightening and are going to rattle and drive you crazy, so you're going to take them off and try to resell them on the forums once you can't take it anymore.

If they're still in the package and you can return them, do so now.

Last edited:

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit

This is great advice. If you have the time and the space to work, you can buy every tool you will ever need. You will save money over labor on your initial purchase and save again with each subsequent job.

In a way, it's kind of like paying with cash instead of credit. You pay less and have more left over.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I'll update you guys on my experience with these coilovers..
Or death.

We all have to die some time. lol.

But seriously, look up the 2 x 4 method of strut install. I was able to do entire suspension in 2 hours. Be sure to drill a hole and get a 4" bolt, nut and a couple washers to secure it to the swaybar link when compressing the suspension with the 2 x 4.

And AGAIN, if it's not to late to return that stuff, return it.

draza74

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
17 GTI
We all have to die some time. lol.

But seriously, look up the 2 x 4 method of strut install. I was able to do entire suspension in 2 hours. Be sure to drill a hole and get a 4" bolt, nut and a couple washers to secure it to the swaybar link when compressing the suspension with the 2 x 4.

And AGAIN, if it's not to late to return that stuff, return it.
I bought these like 7 months ago lmao

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I'll update you guys on my experience with these coilovers..
Or death.

I’m not saying you’ll die lol, but 034 is known to be the absolute worst quality in the industry (and they charge top dollar).

As for Raceland I’m speaking from experience, as I too had my low & slow days and dumped multiple mk2 and mk6 on them. They’re stiff which is a good thing when you’re that low, but they’ll actually fail internally every 10-15k miles so at that point there’s zero dampening.

On the mk6 I actually had a front strut come apart completely when I removed it for warranty replacement. At the time I had more time than money so I just swapped them out every 10k lol, the lifetime warranty is legit as I got several full sets of dampeners

draza74

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
17 GTI
I’m not saying you’ll die lol, but 034 is known to be the absolute worst quality in the industry (and they charge top dollar).

As for Raceland I’m speaking from experience, as I too had my low & slow days and dumped multiple mk2 and mk6 on them. They’re stiff which is a good thing when you’re that low, but they’ll actually fail internally every 10-15k miles so at that point there’s zero dampening.

On the mk6 I actually had a front strut come apart completely when I removed it for warranty replacement. At the time I had more time than money so I just swapped them out every 10k lol, the lifetime warranty is legit as I got several full sets of dampeners

Well for now, I highly doubt these will sell and I don't drive my car a lot. It's a 17 with 13k miles on it.
I'm guessing in the next 5-6k miles I can afford something better so i'll just do that when the time comes.
Who knows, maybe these will last longer than expected?

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
They'll ride like absolute potato slammed...but they'll be fine.

I'd just look into a Facebook group and find a local guy that will do it in their garage. Friend of mine did just that. He dropped off the car in the morning and picked it up a few hours later. He got his coilovers, 55mm GTI knuckles, trailer hitch on his wagon installed for 500.

I got mine done by a VW tech at the dealer after hours. He charged 300 and took him just under two hours. There are shops about 1.5 hours from me that charge 250.