GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Coil overs or shocks and springs?

zoomnad

Car(s)
2015 VW GTI s
I am sure this has come up before BUT...In the past I have always did lowering springs. Put them in and forget them. Done! I have never done coil overs. My car is a daily driver with no track time, and I don't want to adjust rebound and damping or height (I don't want to slam it down to the ground). Good springs and shocks are about $800 bucks. Coil overs start about $500 bucks to $4,000 grand. Either way, I want to set them and forget them, lower the car with very little gap showing in the wheel wells, and have decent ride. I know, not asking for much, but I am very confused as what to buy! Any help out there?

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
you're right, a alot of posts on this.

if you're keeping the stock top mounts, lowering springs and possibly new strut / shocks like koni are sufficient.

due to the design of the stock top mount, there is sufficient room to lower by 1" to 1.5" and then cut bump stops. You'll still have decent shock travel.

if you go.camber plate, you may not have the same amount of travel available.

since you're DD and have no interest in playing with settings, coilovers seem like overkill.

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Buy local :cool:. Bilstein of America is next to Jungle Jim's. B8 and linear Eibach springs is my vote...

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Very little gap is still a subjective term though. Cause to many that’s going to be a very low ride height and would deff. Need to be done with coilovers (at minimum) vs just springs and you will affect the cars performance at that height.

I consider my ride height to be at the “very very little” tire gap and honesty can only get away with this cause I’m on air ride.

If you run just springs with struts none of them will get you with a very small wheel gap, I think the lowest may be like 3/4” from the tire.

*random pic from last night
7BC6C234-CE6E-4C4F-96F9-3C559E99CFD6.jpeg
642FB879-0381-456E-949B-7BD6A71BED89.jpeg
AD1D794D-E48A-4FD4-AFE9-FF61804AC310.jpeg

zoomnad

Car(s)
2015 VW GTI s
Last edited:

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Sport springs (Eibach, H&R) and sport dampers like Koni or Bilstein fit the bill perfectly and for $800 are far and away higher quality than any coilover that is cheaper than that. No real reason to go with coils if you aren't going to mess with the height adjustment etc. This "cup kit" arrangement is great on the street and can handle some HPDEs etc.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Most (not all) coil over kits have the problem of the adjustable threaded spring platforms rusting/seizing solid...

Yes, some coil over kits may be cheaper than a decent set of dampers & springs, but there is no substitute for quality......more "toys" does not always equal "better"....

A good set of -30mm (standard drop) springs & good dampers will be more than enough for a DD.....

tigeo

Autocross Champion

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
Yes but not everyone cares about that small amount of preload adjustment for the extra money.

It's not about "preload". Its about getting the ride height exactly where I want it. I had a Mk3 back in 1998...and I went through three different sets of springs. None gave me the ride height I wanted. Ended up with coilovers. Since then...that's what I used if I wanted to lower my car.