GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Coil Over Installation Advice for Novice

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Just asking for trouble disconnecting the inner CV end for a simple suspension installation. You’re correct in leaning towards following the service manual and disconnecting at the hub.

Those washers that join two bolts per become buzz saws if proper torque isn’t applied & a bolt falls out. I’ve seen posts where people dropped the ball on that and ended up with a cut transmission case.

Keep in mind the inner CV bolts aren’t easy to get at with a torque wrench, and adding an extension throws off the spec due to twisting of the extension.
I noticed it on someone I won't name's coilover install video and had to do a double take. If you're DIYing these cars you might as well have the big tq wrench for the brakes anyway and the socket isn't that expensive.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I noticed it on someone I won't name's coilover install video and had to do a double take. If you're DIYing these cars you might as well have the big tq wrench for the brakes anyway and the socket isn't that expensive.

IMO tools are always a worthwhile investment. If you have them, you’ll absolutely find a future use for them. Plus there’s something to be said for taking your time to perform the work correctly yourself vs paying a shop that may or may not.

Unfortunately YouTube, which can be great, has given a large audience to some technicians who aren’t as knowledgeable as they lead people to believe.

I’ve been a A&P mechanic for over a decade at a major airline, and have deep rooted trust issues with most automotive techs…different industries with opposite mindsets. Automotive techs develop poor habits because of flat rate demand for speed over effort/quality. In aviation it’s absolutely critical everything is correct with absolutely no regard for cost or time.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
So, not going to lie, I saw the video with them removing CV side and that's why I did the 2 x 4.

Next time I have to remove front springs, I'll try to on the hub side.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
So, not going to lie, I saw the video with them removing CV side and that's why I did the 2 x 4.

Next time I have to remove front springs, I'll try to on the hub side.

Its not in any way difficult. Torque spec with the torque wrench isn’t excessive either, 200nm aka 147.5 ft lbs plus 180* (which you don’t apply with a torque wrench, you use a long handled breaker bar which is also inexpensive and good to have on hand).

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
https://www.shopdap.com/mk7-gti-suspension-install-kit-basic.html

something like this might suit you well, as it is good practice to replace the bolts as recommended

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...k-damper-installation-reference-guide.334926/

here is a guide that can prove useful, this information is out there, your google-fu lacks polish. ;-P

https://www.shopdap.com/blog/post/mk7-gti-coilovers-and-install-diy.html

but in all seriousness, that should be all you need. take your time and read and watch some install videos. make sure you have everything before you take your car apart * cant take it to the store if its in pieces*

good luck

One thing I’ve found out recently is one, these kits are handy to order what might be needed. But if you’re not familiar with what each piece looks like, and where it goes, it takes a lot of time to trial and error. This goes for something like their transmission removal kits as well.

I labeled all the hardware I took off, so I could compare with new. Then you might have to deal with missing a bolt or two, as my kit was not fully complete. Not sure if it was a packing error, or just differences in model years.

Overall good kits, but still a hassle and time consuming.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
One other thing, if you're using something like the eurosport top camber kit setup, all this talk on torquing the strut nut per the OEM process, with those wrenches, goes right out the window.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
One other thing, if you're using something like the eurosport top camber kit setup, all this talk on torquing the strut nut per the OEM process, with those wrenches, goes right out the window.

Yep.

JJ_MK7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI Autobahn
Getting closer to my time window to Install my new B16 Damptronic on the GTI. Work has being relentless these past few months. Before my install is due I wanted to revisit one more subject to get everyone's opinion on this, BUMP STOPS. How much trimming do you guys recommend I should do on these guy?

Last edited:

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Getting closer to my time window to Install my new B16 on the GTI. Work has being relentless these past few months. Before my install is due I wanted to revisit one more subject to get everyone's opinion on this, BUMP STOPS. How much trimming do you guys recommend I should do on these guy?

Bilstein recommends none. Post #47 has a method, and then there seems to be info all over the board on opinions.

I did my own napkin math, and measured the stroke of the new shock to the stroke of the OEM shock, took that percentage difference and removed that much from the OEM bumpstop. It was pretty close to the amount removed in post #47 as well. I'm not a engineer by any means, but I was good with my process.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Getting closer to my time window to Install my new B16 on the GTI. Work has being relentless these past few months. Before my install is due I wanted to revisit one more subject to get everyone's opinion on this, BUMP STOPS. How much trimming do you guys recommend I should do on these guy?
No trimming....they have their own dust boots & bump stops, from Bilstein

Post #2 here:
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/bilstein-b16-pss10-bump-stop-question.353418/

JJ_MK7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI Autobahn
Mines are the DCC version, I have an Autobahn, so krs reference to a previous post here is what I would do in this case.

Reactions: krs

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Mines are the DCC version, I have an Autobahn, so krs reference to a previous post here is what I would do in this case.
Oh, okay then.

Well then I always trimmed from the bottom, so that the bump stop would still stay (solidly) put at the top of the mount......just like Eibach recommends:

JJ_MK7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI Autobahn
In two weeks time I will take a few days off from work to catchup on all of these upgrades I want to do to the GTI. I have one more advice to ask, it is about the coilovers height adjustment. Looking for optimal operation, performance and comfort, as it is my daily driver.