GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Coil Nut Turns But Won't Raise

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
I can't get to the 4th spark plug because when I try to remove the top nut holding everything down it spins but won't move its way up the bolt. I've tried wedging things under it and turning but still no luck. The bolt is NOT turning with the nut. I bought a dremel to cut off the top nut from a vertical angle but now I'm thinking it might be better to cut the actual bolt part below from a horizontal angle to avoid damaging the ground/metal-ring and replacing it with this bolt from ecs: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine...hkXxAAsQoeqmpn7o46g24josssYDE0qhoCdI8QAvD_BwE

Anyone else have to do this before? Any tips/advice would be appreciated

Last edited:

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
tighten another nut up against it and loosen using the bottom nut

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
No problem. I've never taken the coils out of this car so I'm not too familiar with how the setup looks but I hope that can help you out

777-300ER

Go Kart Newbie
The top nut spins off then the coil ground comes off then the bottom nut and stud combo comes out. I don't understand your issue.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
The top nut spins off then the coil ground comes off then the bottom nut and stud combo comes out. I don't understand your issue.
top nut spins left but doesn't come up at all

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
Try tighten the nut then reverse it off.
When I did mine the top nut would spin both nut/stud and I didn’t have a thin enough wrench to hold the bottom nut.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Is it a bolt or a stud with a nut?

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
top nut spins left but doesn't come up at all
sound like nut is stripped....vice grips on nut then try unscrewing with grips while pulling up. (phrasing?) small pry bar/nail puller to help lift if you you can. I like Nicks idea but unless you can get top nut off I doubt there is room to do the jam nut suggestion

Cemetery

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
e36m/e46m/mk7r
Precaution on these- do not overtighten when you reinstall. I must have ham fisted it last time because I just had to heli-coil one of them on my last spark plug change.

jcabral

Car(s)
2015 GTI Autobahn
Did you ever get this resolved? I have the same issue where the nut that holds the ground wire down spins and doesn't come off? All four of mine spin (the stud remains fixed in place) but doesn't come off.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Did you ever get this resolved? I have the same issue where the nut that holds the ground wire down spins and doesn't come off? All four of mine spin (the stud remains fixed in place) but doesn't come off.
Dealer fixed it for free (cut and replaced the bolt)