GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Coil Grounding Kit

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Lmao guys will spend thousands of dollars in unnecessary upgrades but EQT charges $80 more for something you can make yourself and people start acting like they're being taken advantage of

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Just like people seem to think the only way to have quality is to buy it from someone, not realizing their just people like you and I too. People on forums get weird man.
That oil extractor in your profile pic - why didn't you just build one yourself? Just needs a bucket and a hose, think of how much money you could've saved!

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
That oil extractor in your profile pic - why didn't you just build one yourself? Just needs a bucket and a hose, think of how much money you could've saved!
Well no, it needs a vacuum pump along with other things. For the Price though, it was worth it to purchase. It's not like I overpaid for one just because it had a name on it like Snap-on or Craftsman. 🤷‍♂️ And at it's price point, the manufacturer can produce them for way under what it would cost me to make myself. Unlike other items that I can, and do make for myself and others.

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
You can't compare what Jake is doing to these grounding kits, totally not the same. A grounding kit doesn't take long to develop while what Jake does to build a whole exhaust from the turbo back takes hours, if not a whole day.
I do what Jake does... so I know how long it takes to do. And for being a bespoke fabricator, his price is low... yet people complain about it.

What I mean is that while overkill, both Jake and EQT are using the best materials around, with specialized tools. Jake don't have to purge all the tubes he weld, going fast at a lower amperage will do the job, but penetration would not be the same and the weld joint can fail... as it happens in a lot of lower end exhausts.

EQT really don't have to use MIL PSEC wires and sleeves, but they do because they want to have the best item out. What would happen if one of those wires come lose, or the integrity of the splice joint fail? Detonation would be the least on my worries... stating that their grounding kit is way overpriced without taking into consideration overhead costs of a business, or the fall back if the kit fails and causes damage to a customer engine is not fair to them.

Yes, you can have the same quality in a DIY, ant it is going to be way lower than the asking price. That will be the case in EVERYTHING custom made/fabrication/etc... if you can do it, do it. If you can't, then ask someone to build it for you or pay the price.

OEM Spec TXL, GXL, SXL wire. Honestly probably do GXL for the terminal connections with a SXL main gauge branch. It'll last just as long as the rest of your wiring harness, solid stranded copper, cost maybe .25c a foot depending on your source.
I agree with you, I would go GXL, not for the terminals, but because it is used for high heat locations. But while Tefzel is more money, it's a better wire. The thinner multi-strand handles higher amperage. You can coil it tighter than DXL... if you can afford it, well worth the price.
Let's say I know of a place I use for all my electronic projects where I can get them for .30-.50 each, thin plated or silver. I used to buy the SMD for color changing the GTO's interior from them years ago.
This isn't a sealed boot to a sealed mil or other connector.
Their harness is sealed, that is the purpose of the Raychem SCL... it seals the joint were the splice is made from moisture, salt, etc. The Raychem DR-25 is the outer protective shielding.

This is why I say the harness is overkill, and worth the asking price.

This will work... everything cheap
GXL - heat shrink - connectors

EQT - MIL SPEC
Tefzel - crimp-on barrel butt connector - SCL - entirely covered in DR-25 - connectors.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
I do what Jake does... so I know how long it takes to do. And for being a bespoke fabricator, his price is low... yet people complain about it.

What I mean is that while overkill, both Jake and EQT are using the best materials around, with specialized tools. Jake don't have to purge all the tubes he weld, going fast at a lower amperage will do the job, but penetration would not be the same and the weld joint can fail... as it happens in a lot of lower end exhausts.

EQT really don't have to use MIL PSEC wires and sleeves, but they do because they want to have the best item out. What would happen if one of those wires come lose, or the integrity of the splice joint fail? Detonation would be the least on my worries... stating that their grounding kit is way overpriced without taking into consideration overhead costs of a business, or the fall back if the kit fails and causes damage to a customer engine is not fair to them.

Yes, you can have the same quality in a DIY, ant it is going to be way lower than the asking price. That will be the case in EVERYTHING custom made/fabrication/etc... if you can do it, do it. If you can't, then ask someone to build it for you or pay the price.

I agree with you, I would go GXL, not for the terminals, but because it is used for high heat locations. But while Tefzel is more money, it's a better wire. The thinner multi-strand handles higher amperage. You can coil it tighter than DXL... if you can afford it, well worth the price.

Let's say I know of a place I use for all my electronic projects where I can get them for .30-.50 each, thin plated or silver. I used to buy the SMD for color changing the GTO's interior from them years ago.

Their harness is sealed, that is the purpose of the Raychem SCL... it seals the joint were the splice is made from moisture, salt, etc. The Raychem DR-25 is the outer protective shielding.

This is why I say the harness is overkill, and worth the asking price.

This will work... everything cheap
GXL - heat shrink - connectors

EQT - MIL SPEC
Tefzel - crimp-on barrel butt connector - SCL - entirely covered in DR-25 - connectors.
There is no splice in theres though. The wire terminates to the rubber seal, on race spec or mil spec harnesses you would use a Raychem boot to then join from right before the termination on the wiring to the connector. This would also probably be resin injected and have service loops. That would be fully sealed. Using Raychem SCL over bare wire is no different that using thin or double wall glue filled heat shrink, just a higher cost. Unless you're talking where the 8 gauge meets the 4 strands of 14.. And then that's just a butt crimp. either insulated or non insulated and again.. shrink wrap with glue would have the same effect because you don't join raychem like that.

I'd still say even sourcing m22759/32 along with Raychem DR-25 isn't all that expensive yourself. 32 -14 is about 50 cents a foot, and -8 or -10 would be about .90- maybe a 1 a foot if you buy in 10 foot or smaller sections. Larger rolls prices decreases as economies of scale comes into play. Raychem Dr-25 is probably the more expensive side, That'll run you maybe 6 bucks a foot or so for the 8-10 gauge, maybe 4ish for the 14 again, depending on how much you buy. Much cheaper if you purchase more at once. Terminals and Seals are as you said, probably about .30 cents a pop for good ones, Silver, gold or Tin would do honestly. The rubber seals are just generic ones, I'd have to check what they measure but you can also just get 6 for 15 bucks at the link I provided earlier. Even at that exuberant cost total materials is under 50.

I'm pretty bored today so I could break it down further and price it out. I suppose I knowing what it would take to make it to the same specs cost wise has it's benefits, it just seemed like pushing more cost off to the consumer for the same function IMO. Your injectors are fed off a 20 AMP fuse and has a second ground in the wiring engine harness. This is just replacing the external short to block ground in the coil connection harness (pin 1, the second is Pin 3 I believe), 600v Tefzel is more than just overkill. Which is why TXL,GXL and SXL are OEM harness spec and OEM harnesses last 10+ years. 🤷‍♂️

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Well no, it needs a vacuum pump along with other things. For the Price though, it was worth it to purchase. It's not like I overpaid for one just because it had a name on it like Snap-on or Craftsman. 🤷‍♂️ And at it's price point, the manufacturer can produce them for way under what it would cost me to make myself. Unlike other items that I can, and do make for myself and others.
Not really, just suck on the hose until the oil starts pouring out

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
There is no splice in theres though. The wire terminates to the rubber seal, on race spec or mil spec harnesses you would use a Raychem boot to then join from right before the termination on the wiring to the connector. This would also probably be resin injected and have service loops. That would be fully sealed. Using Raychem SCL over bare wire is no different that using thin or double wall glue filled heat shrink, just a higher cost. Unless you're talking where the 8 gauge meets the 4 strands of 14.. And then that's just a butt crimp. either insulated or non insulated and again.. shrink wrap with glue would have the same effect because you don't join raychem like that.

I'd still say even sourcing m22759/32 along with Raychem DR-25 isn't all that expensive yourself. 32 -14 is about 50 cents a foot, and -8 or -10 would be about .90- maybe a 1 a foot if you buy in 10 foot or smaller sections. Larger rolls prices decreases as economies of scale comes into play. Raychem Dr-25 is probably the more expensive side, That'll run you maybe 6 bucks a foot or so for the 8-10 gauge, maybe 4ish for the 14 again, depending on how much you buy. Much cheaper if you purchase more at once. Terminals and Seals are as you said, probably about .30 cents a pop for good ones, Silver, gold or Tin would do honestly. The rubber seals are just generic ones, I'd have to check what they measure but you can also just get 6 for 15 bucks at the link I provided earlier. Even at that exuberant cost total materials is under 50.

I'm pretty bored today so I could break it down further and price it out. I suppose I knowing what it would take to make it to the same specs cost wise has it's benefits, it just seemed like pushing more cost off to the consumer for the same function IMO. Your injectors are fed of a 20 AMP fuse, 600v Tefzel is more than just overkill. Which is why TXL,GXL and SXL are OEM harness spec and OEM harnesses last 10+ years. 🤷‍♂️

They do have a crimp splice...

In the construction of our product, we use a close barrel splice where the 4 connect to 1 which requires a different die and tool that you may not have, so if you do truly emulate ours then that's something to consider.

Second point - That's my point, it is not that expensive to source it yourself... but as a business, adding all the overhead involved will bring the price to where it is. You sell harnesses right? Is that your main job, or your hobby? Do you have to pay employees? Insurance? Business space rent? As your hobby, you can manipulate the price to make the profit you want. As a business, that mark-up has to cover all your expenses, plus your profit for the item.

There will be VERY limited uses for SXL in the automotive industry...

You don't need resin injection for this kind of splice, that is mostly used for splices that will be used under liquids. The SCL is a rubbery heat shrink that will melt onto itself, sealing all voids between the bare copper and the exterior.

Sorry for the rant, I was bored today at work...

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
They do have a crimp splice...

Second point - That's my point, it is not that expensive to source it yourself... but as a business, adding all the overhead involved will bring the price to where it is. You sell harnesses right? Is that your main job, or your hobby? Do you have to pay employees? Insurance? Business space rent? As your hobby, you can manipulate the price to make the profit you want. As a business, that mark-up has to cover all your expenses, plus your profit for the item.

There will be VERY limited uses for SXL in the automotive industry...

You don't need resin injection for this kind of splice, that is mostly used for splices that will be used under liquids. The SCL is a rubbery heat shrink that will melt onto itself, sealing all voids between the bare copper and the exterior.

Sorry for the rant, I was bored today at work...
I get it. Though proper race spec is not just heat shrinking Raychem. All connectors are sealed from start to finish end to end at the connector. Overhead does add to it, but the point of being a business is having economies scale at your disposal. You shouldn't be sourcing at prices Joe off the street can find with 30 seconds on google.. Anyhow we're getting real into the weeds here. 130 seems awfully close to what someone could buy the raw materials, and tooling needed to make it themselves. Which the tooling is generally where the business gets you in pricing because their tooling is set to pay for itself over X amount of time, not just a single project.

SXL isn't used much because of the thick jacket. TXL, GXL, SXL goes from thinnest to thickets for Jacket size, but because of the thicker jacket offers the best jacket protection of the 3, not to say that the other two are bad in any way.. OEM spec XPEL coated for a reason, it's not GPL or something where melting point or jacket cracking due to fatigue is an issue.

My rant is over Raychem is sealed differently than EQT does in order to be considered industry standard for "sealed" or "Race Spec". The use of Dr-25 here is no different than non-adhesive filled shrinkwrap, literally how it was used. Normally it's used to cover the wire and then terminated to another form of seal, either a split trunk or a connection boot.. But that is because in Race spec or MIL spec harnesses, you Do not have Crimps or solder points period. All wires are solid until their termination into a connector, and if a joining is needed, it's done through a connector.. That's how you maintain an end to end seal for salt flat racers and other Race spec required activities.

EQTs current design if used on a salt flat racer would still corrode due to salt and water intrusion due to wire wicking because the end termination of the wire is a non sealed locking plastic connector with a pressure fitted rubber seal.

Last edited:

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
SXL isn't used much because of the thick jacket.
exactly.
The use of Dr-25 here is no different that adhesive filled shrinkwrap, literally how it was used.
Well, they are using it as a protective coating for chemicals.

Raychem DR25 is a lightweight, heat shrinkable tubing suitable for jacketing of cables and wiring looms. It features a 2:1 shrink ratio, is flexible and flame retardant. Raychem DR25 is resistant to most fuels (automotive and aviation), brake fluid, diesel fuel, hydraulic oil, lubricating oil and water.

The SCL is the adhesive filled shrink wrap. Which I rather use W3 Glueline, I find it better performing. SUMITUBE W3B2

EQTs current design if used on a salt flat racer would still corrode due to salt and water intrusion due to wire wicking because the end termination of the wire is a non sealed locking plastic connector with a pressure fitted rubber seal.
I think they use the SCL there as well, I mean using it at the splice only makes no sense when you already have it available. The only corrosion point would be on the VW terminal if the seal is not properly installed.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
exactly.

Well, they are using it as a protective coating for chemicals.

Raychem DR25 is a lightweight, heat shrinkable tubing suitable for jacketing of cables and wiring looms. It features a 2:1 shrink ratio, is flexible and flame retardant. Raychem DR25 is resistant to most fuels (automotive and aviation), brake fluid, diesel fuel, hydraulic oil, lubricating oil and water.

The SCL is the adhesive filled shrink wrap. Which I rather use W3 Glueline, I find it better performing. SUMITUBE W3B2

I think they use the SCL there as well, I mean using it at the splice only makes no sense when you already have it available. The only corrosion point would be on the VW terminal if the seal is not properly installed.
I know DR25, but it's used as part of an end to end sealing system most times. You can get protective sleeves and coatings elsewhere without the cost that do the same. Hell, GXL and TXL wire have similar with XPLE coatings. Most adhesive or marine grade shrink will be the same. DR25 also isn't Glue lined, This is why DR-25 is meant to be used with raychem heat shrink boots for sealing:

For fuel you'd really want Raychem RW-200, unless diesel, then you'd want their diesel version.
https://www.prowireusa.com/viton-heatshrink-fuel-safe
Dr-25 Yellow print
  • Shrink Ratio 2:1
  • Flame-Retardant
  • Operating Temp Range: -75-150ºC
  • Recovery Temp: 175ºC
  • U.S. Version Print Color: Yellow
  • Glue Lined: No
  • Use with Raychem heat shrink boots
  • DR-25 tubing is stocked up to 1 1/2" other sizes available by special order
  • For fuel-rated heat, shrink see related items or Click Here For Viton Tubing
https://www.prowireusa.com/c-27-raychem-dr-25-yellow.html

You can also look that up in the provided Raychem brochure.

SCL is the adhesive shrink, but that's probably only used over the non-insulated step down butt connector.. Again, why boots are used over connectors to seal from the Dr-25 to the connector. Mil and race spec connectors are already waterproof sealed unlike OEM connectors. SCL or ATUM would work for that.. but again, it's just a double wall adhesive filled heat shrink. The way the harness is terminated now the DR-25 is unsealed at the terminal end that goes into your coil pack connector. Thus allowing wire wicking and negating the extra cost of DR-25 in the first place, as again, other affordable sleeves and shrinks offer the same offered protection when it's installed this way for less.

I follow what you're saying, but using products incorrectly that cost way more for what you're accomplishing at the end of the day seems strange to me. It's still going to terminate into an OEM connector.. Raychem in this instance and how it's used is pure overkill with no real benefit for the additional cost.

Last edited:

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
This has been an extremely interesting debate on wire and heatsink. And I'm not being sarcastic.

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
The way the harness is terminated now the DR-25 is unsealed at the terminal end that goes into your coil pack connector.
I can't tell how they did that junction, but I would use SCL on each of the leads to the coil packs right against the butt connector, and SCL on the main lead covering the butt connector and at least 1/4 of the SCL in the coil pack leads. That would seal that joint entirely. The SCL will glue into each other, then cover it with the DR-25 from the main lead.

I don't know, I agree it is overkill... I would definitely just use GXL, W3, and a little bit of DR-25 or any other heat resistant heat shrink. Then solder the connectors after crimping if I think there is any chance of corrosion settling in. This is how I've done my audio connections, and high power cabling for UPS systems in seashore areas.