GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Coffee Spill in center console cup holder.

R^2

Ready to race!
Alright gurus, I have a conundrum.

I was being playful and obviously overly aggressive in a 3rd to 4th shift in my MK6 R, and I failed to notice that I knocked my coffee cup over. It didn't fall over to the side, rather it went straight back into the prone position with the opening facing the arm rest. It was about half full (optimism). It looked contained and I was in traffic so I couldn't stop that second, I pulled over and realized past me used the last of the pilfered Starbucks napkin stash I keep in the glove box and the cleaning wipes I purchased the day before is sitting on my counter.

In the immortal words of Henry Cavill of Witcher fame - "Fuck".

So 8-10 minutes later I procure paper towels, and wipe it clean, only to realize...no way was that all the coffee...it had to have gone...somewhere.

upon inspection and what I'm sure would have been internet gold had I filmed the attempt to get those rubber bottom pieces out (it would likely be rated R) - I succeeded, and my heart sunk.

In VW wisdom, there is a mounting screw hole with what looks like some intentional forward and aft adjustability - perhaps for part variability, ease of install, who knows - all I know is somewhere down that back hole lies likely 8 oz or so of coffee.

What the hell is below the cup holder? Just fabric covered tunnel? Don't tell me it is where VW mounted the flux capacitor or the turbo encabulator.

The temp solution, I put two canisters of damp rid in the car, 2 fridge packs of baking soda, and odor eliminator rocks (calcium carbonate maybe) from lowes. I have been going for periodic drives with the windows down to help air it out while leaving the rubber bottom pad out. I also removed the other rubber pad from under the arm rest which has a retaining hole for a rubber piece in an attempt to get more air flow.

What I've noticed:
A woeful lack in detailed pictures or videos for the disassembly of the R center console, arm rest, or cupholder area. I'm sure it isn't too different from a MK7 but I would have thought there would be more pictures showing what lives under all this.

How truly fucked am I.

My next idea, get a precision spray bottle with a 1/8 tube to fine nozzle and fill it with a bacterial enzymatic cleaner. Since the 8oz of coffee didn't (hasn't) seemed* to affect anything could I force an ounce or so of that down the hole to help my situation?

What would you do, what can I do.

What have I done?
F.U.C.K.

GeorgiaBII

Drag Race Newbie
Depends..... do you load your coffee with milk and sugar or do you drink it black?

Option A you need to disassemble and clean.

Option B it's just flavored water it'll dry.

R^2

Ready to race!
It had artificial - non dairy creamer in it. - still fooked, or slightly less fooked.

I looked but for some reason, any post I found that resembled a how to with pictures - has all of the pictures no longer hosted. I tried way back machine, no luck.

R^2

Ready to race!
Man - I've been looking all day - and I cant find a video or pictures. everything I find is a dead link to a post missing pictures or video. There is a black media thing:

*not my car.

Anyone have intel on how to remove this?

Last edited:

R^2

Ready to race!
Anyone have intel on how to remove this?

I tried cut up plastic sheet, pushed down into those two slots, but it didn't release, perhaps it wasn't thick enough? Do I need to be able to apply force in a specific direction?

Obviously interior disassembly is not my forte. Large mechanical systems, no problem, finesse work like this and my ham hands want to hulk smash.

R^2

Ready to race!

part 19 - MFG Part # 5N0035341H. Storage. Rear. with media interface.

Has two clips, they need to be leveraged inward - towards each other. the metal latching tab is makes contact on the forward and aft edges, but are actuated on the car "right" side. A credit card cut into thin long wedge shape (think door wedge) was enough to do it. Then it was just a matter of disconnecting the MDI connector. This gave pretty good access, and everything down there is dry, although a faint coffee smell is there. I put an entire fridge pack of baking soda in the void to help with the smell, and I'll leave it open for a few days to let the wound drain and heal. The carpet around the cup holders is dry, the carpet and lining materials immediately aft of the cup holder under the rear console is dry and there is no evidence of residue. So, perhaps, less coffee than I thought made it down the hole. There is still a faint coffee odor - although less and less. I had to really try and smell it - but I am very sensitive to smell - so if its gonna be a problem to anyone, its gonna be a problem to me. Who knows, maybe this shity adventure will help someone in the future.

Top Tip: Plug that damn hole in the cup holder - maybe just a simple piece of tape to prevent liquid from draining into the abyss.

R^2

Ready to race!
I'll post some actual pics of how this came out, so there is some better images, and maybe some of these pictures will help someone who needs to remove this part or who wants to know whats going on in there.

R^2

Ready to race!
Ok, well - I fixed another problem, almost every forum I went to, the pictures failed to load, some type of linking error. This solved the issue in chrome for me - accidentally found this when someone in another post complained about the same thing...back in 2016 - guess I'm behind the times.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/...egnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg/related?hl=en
It's a browser extension for chrome that fixes the linking, so something changed, and this fixes that.

R^2

Ready to race!
Spill happened on the 19th - mid day. The damp rid, baking soda, odor absorbing rocks + periodic spirited air out driving runs has...knock on wood....seemed to have done the job. opening up that MDI compartment definitely helped air it out. I'll keep the baking soda in the car for a few more days, but if by the weekend it smells good, then I think I got lucky on this one.