GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Coding help for ambient cupholders

carbon_gecko

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GOLf tsi 'S'
So I am tired of the darkness that is the center console so I diy'd so lighted cupholders now I have two options simply tap the wires to the vehicle interior lighting or code it into the MIB, so following the instructions for the audi MQB ambient cupholder. (see below)So I have a 2016 golf s 1.8t and have done a BCM retrofit already and have ambient doors working, the problem is using OBDELEVEN, I don't have a couple of the adaptions required. Is there somewhere else I can access the required adaptions? I have visually checked and I have the required pin in the BCM, is it a limitation of obdeleven? I can use VCDS if required.

Attachments

• 20221023_130732.jpg
    20221023_130732.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 113
  • Screenshot_20221011-133950_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20221011-133950_Samsung Internet.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 121
  • Screenshot_20221011-134002_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20221011-134002_Samsung Internet.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 92
  • Screenshot_20221011-134039_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20221011-134039_Samsung Internet.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 118

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
What does your ambient lighting menu look like? Is it a list of sliders, or a picture of the car interior with "sun" icons for each lighting zone?

And if you're able, a VCDS adaptation map from your BCM could be helpful.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Ambient lighting adaptations are all in the BCM. The coding you show, looks to be from here. I don't know the spec on the car being modified in that thread but if you haven't retrofitted RGB ambient lighting (with facelift BCM) then some of that coding is wrong for your car.

From that coding I see two things...
Int. light: 2nd generation-Cockpitbeleuchtung mehrfarbig = active...This says you have multicolored cockpit lighting installed
Interior light: light configuration-Ambientemenue mit alle Zonen = active... This removes the sliders from the lighting menu, and adds "background/ambient lighting" to vehicle settings

Assuming you have not retrofitted a facelift BCM, you may not have the above two adaptations anyway... maybe these are what you are referring to in the OP. If my assumption is correct you don't need these two channels anyway.

The above coding will give you this (ignore the colors, this is from my experimentation here).
PXL_20220112_015905763.jpg

As opposed to what you want, which I think is this...
1667237595119.png
The above pic is a screen grab from @mr-fix's youtube video here.

carbon_gecko

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GOLf tsi 'S'
What does your ambient lighting menu look like? Is it a list of sliders, or a picture of the car interior with "sun" icons for each lighting zone?

And if you're able, a VCDS adaptation map from your BCM could be helpful.
I just have four sliders, I am trying to see what leuchte values I have available the problem is I already swapped the BCM to 5q0937087 aa so I am going through which pins I now have that aren't used and what they coordinate too.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Gotcha... the used/unused leuchte channels will not have changed with the BCM replacement. I replaced my original (low) BCM with a high BCM, then later replaced that with a high facelift BCM (which gets rid of all long coding, moving everything to adaptations). Leuchte channels remain the same throughout because you aren't changing wiring when you change the BCM.

Ambient lighting in the doors is via the door control modules for wiring, although BCM coding is required. I assume you are wiring the cupholder light straight to the BCM?

carbon_gecko

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GOLf tsi 'S'
Yes I am, so the instructions I posted were for Audi mqb cupholders which might be why certain lines of code don't line up, I am not sure as well if pre face-lift. My issue is I have the list of leuchte channels, now I need to correlate them to pins to see which ones are used currently. When I find one, change its function to ambient light, change its parameters and ensure it is tied to a slider on the MIB

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221027-071144_OBDeleven.jpg
    Screenshot_20221027-071144_OBDeleven.jpg
    340.6 KB · Views: 33
  • Screenshot_20221027-071216_OBDeleven.jpg
    Screenshot_20221027-071216_OBDeleven.jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 36
  • Screenshot_20221027-071232_OBDeleven.jpg
    Screenshot_20221027-071232_OBDeleven.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 37
  • Screenshot_20221027-071251_OBDeleven.jpg
    Screenshot_20221027-071251_OBDeleven.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 37
  • Screenshot_20221027-071319_OBDeleven.jpg
    Screenshot_20221027-071319_OBDeleven.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 34

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
There are 36 light channels, as shown in the first part of the channel name (Leuchte0 - Leuchte36). Most channels can be re-assigned as you please. Depending on your BCM some are hard assigned, like Leuchte35 which is assigned to the hazard button in the dash. The channel exists in every BCM but cannot always be assigned so you may not see it listed. There are also some channels that are typically dedicated to a certain function, like Leuchte12 and Leuchte13 which are used for fog lights. The pins associated with these channels are larger because fogs are more power hungry than a hazard switch light, which uses a smaller pin.

Anyway, the last letter and number(s) of each Leuchte channel is the pin...
Leuchte27NSL LA72 = BCM Plug A pin 72
Leuchte12NL LB45 = Plug B pin 45
etc.

Those two examples being light channel 27 and channel 12. Choose a channel and check the lasttyp adaptation. If it shows a bulb type that pin is being used. If it says not active (or equivalent) you've found a pin that has nothing assigned/connected (assuming you haven't done any re-assigning of light channels).
Once you find pin(s) with no function assignment in the adaptations you just have to make sure they are physically present in your BCM.

Good place to start... Leuchte 31, 32, 33, 34. My guess is they are not currently assigned anything, although I don't know if the pins are physically present on your BCM.

Irrelevant regarding light channels as all of the above applies to both, but if your BCM has long coding, it is pre-facelift. If your BCM long coding is all zeroes, it is facelift.

Last edited:

carbon_gecko

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GOLf tsi 'S'
Thank you for the information, it is definitely Long Coding as it was a 2016 BCM, once this rain stops I'll take a look via VCDS.

carbon_gecko

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GOLf tsi 'S'
There are 36 light channels, as shown in the first part of the channel name (Leuchte0 - Leuchte36). Most channels can be re-assigned as you please. Depending on your BCM some are hard assigned, like Leuchte35 which is assigned to the hazard button in the dash. The channel exists in every BCM but cannot always be assigned so you may not see it listed. There are also some channels that are typically dedicated to a certain function, like Leuchte12 and Leuchte13 which are used for fog lights. The pins associated with these channels are larger because fogs are more power hungry than a hazard switch light, which uses a smaller pin.

Anyway, the last letter and number(s) of each Leuchte channel is the pin...
Leuchte27NSL LA72 = BCM Plug A pin 72
Leuchte12NL LB45 = Plug B pin 45
etc.

Those two examples being light channel 27 and channel 12. Choose a channel and check the lasttyp adaptation. If it shows a bulb type that pin is being used. If it says not active (or equivalent) you've found a pin that has nothing assigned/connected (assuming you haven't done any re-assigning of light channels).
Once you find pin(s) with no function assignment in the adaptations you just have to make sure they are physically present in your BCM.

Good place to start... Leuchte 31, 32, 33, 34. My guess is they are not currently assigned anything, although I don't know if the pins are physically present on your BCM.

Irrelevant regarding light channels as all of the above applies to both, but if your BCM has long coding, it is pre-facelift. If your BCM long coding is all zeroes, it is facelift.
Okay so the only available pins with nothing using them and with not active are A60, A72, B21, B22, B23, C6, AND C31 and I belive b22/23 are meant for high beams flash to pass.

carbon_gecko

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GOLf tsi 'S'
Somehow missed this... I would probably use A72 (which people tend to use for adding footwells). Or one of the pins on Plug C because that's the easiest BCM plug to reach :ROFLMAO:. Just hit the drop down to see what assignments are available. It'll mostly be down to experimentation at that point.

Good place to start/look might be here... https://forums.ross-tech.com/index.php?threads/23131/
Yeah, so I utilized c31, coded with funktion "A" :ambient 2. I like it but coding it with the same parameters as the doors is....basic. I will see if any of the other functions or settings will allow it to be on its own slider by itself. Additionally I will swap the LED that I used, it doesn't dim cleanly, it has a power distribution box in line that keeps it stepped to certain voltages.

Attachments

• 20221101_154337.jpg
    20221101_154337.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 44

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
You're 90% of the way there! Good thing about ambient light coding is the changes show up on the infotainment without the need for logging in/out of modules or cycling ignition.

Occasionally you'll have to do a lighting "reset to factory defaults" in the vehicle settings section but that's just a few screen taps.