GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cobb or jb4

Ancls

Car(s)
Gti mk7
So I have a 2016 Golf R I just bought a catless downpipe I was looking to a plug and play chip but I was wondering what is better. I used to have a jb4 or my gti I helped with performance a lot but I heard a lot of good stuff about the Cobb.
If someone could post some pros and cons for me thank you.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
You must not have emissions testing where you live in California.

You already know about the JB4 so the difference is Cobb is a tuning platform and several companies use their Access Port for tuning. With the Access Port you can get what is called an OTS (off the shelf) tune but it's not optimized for your mods. Or you can get a custom tune specifically that is optimized for your car. The custom tune is the one that will give you the most power and cost the most.

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
If you are using a stock tune with JB4 and a catless downpipe wouldn't that cause a fault code?
Aside from possibly finding a JB4 for less money I believe the Cobb AP is better since it has more functionality.

NBMK7GTI

Go Kart Newbie
I mean they’re hard to directly compare because they’re two different things. JB4 is a piggyback and not a real tune, Cobb is a device that flashes your car with real tunes regardless if they’re off the shelf or not. Nothing wrong with JB4 but IMO it’ll never have the part throttle better driveability of a well polished tune.