GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cobb or apr

EricProkhor

Car(s)
2017 GTI Audubon
I really want to get a tune for my car I have the money for one im looking into a stage 2 tune but I don’t know witch one is better APR or the one off the COBB access port someone help

cr_sti

Go Kart Newbie
You're going to get a mix of answers based most likely on what people already own, and have been discussed ad nauseam on this site.

The reality is it's unlikely you'll be disappointed either way.

One real difference is, if you ever plan to go further than a staged tune, or utilize E30 etc - go with Cobb.

Good luck.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
The biggest difference is you can resell the Cobb AP and get most of your money back. No need to go to a dealer to change your tune. Cobb has unlimited possibilities with regards to tunes. Cobb can be used to scan and reset codes or display gauges.

gabeohuncho

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 R DSG
If you ever plan to sell vehicle as well you have physical value that can be sold with the Cobb AP to part it out rather than being tied to the vehicle with APR

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
Cobb is nice. Not only can you do OTS tunes, you can have it pro-tuned to your existing components.

..and sell it if you ever revert back to stock. Currently I have 3 AP's running on my cars including my Golf-R and they have been flawless.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I used my AP for a little bit. I monitored 6 different gauges for a week or 2 until I felt comfortable with all the numbers. Now I trust that things are good and I'll pull it out again if there's ever any problems. I've gone through a few updates with the tune too, so it gets plugged in for that and then I'll monitor the numbers for a little bit again. It gets used here and there still, but it's not important to have it out 100% of the time.

I don't really see it as paying $600 either since I'll sell it when I'm done with this car. I had a stratified cobb tune on my mk6 and I liked it enough I only considered getting a cobb for the mk7.