GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cobb eliminates tuner ability to disable emissions related DTC's

krisprz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Golf R 6spd
til the 18th.
The 18th was yesterday. Protuners have 14 days from yesterday until the update is actually needed. Right now, you can still tune like normal until that update is actually required to start tuning. Cobb at least gave tuners some time to finish up some tunes and make adjustments/revisions to their customer cars

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
The 18th was yesterday. Protuners have 14 days from yesterday until the update is actually needed. Right now, you can still tune like normal until that update is actually required to start tuning. Cobb at least gave tuners some time to finish up some tunes and make adjustments/revisions to their customer cars
before they completely fuck all of their customers.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
It depends when the tuner updates their software. They have a 14 day grace period to upgrade or it stops working I guess. EQT specifically said they updated their software today/yesterday. So any file saved with this new software doesn't support disabling CELs.

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
The cobb software for GTR's isn't that great. We use Ecutek, but apparently they're going the same way next year for all US dealers.
Saw that on the Rampage feed in Facebook this morning. I thought that there was no Flex for Ecutek on GT-Rs?

This whole thing sucks, but I guess it was just a matter of time before it happened. I never liked SD tuning, especially because I like to drive everywhere... so tune gets funky as elevation climbs, but for someone that stays local all the time it was the ticket to get the most out of the tune.

Could a stand-alone PC (not connected to the internet) be used to tune with the pre-update COBB software? I understand no updates and patches would be available, but it would be stable to platforms that have been updated. I think I see the EQT Vortex with the Stage tune once they release it in my future.

HelloNewman

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7
Everybody gangsta' till the feds come knockin'

How many people were ripping on APR for stopping sales of stage 2 tunes and downpipes?

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
For years now, Accesstuner software (even the end user versions available on other platforms) require internet connection and authenticate with cobb servers. So unless you're on a version that is something like maybe 5+ years old.... you're pretty much SOL. Update or nothing.

Side note, have you had issues with SD tunes and elevation? They are of course inherently based on MAP, so how would it not account for changes in elevation? Been running SD on my Gen3 LS for years.

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
I feel like ive been blind-sighted by this, if I knew this was coming I would have been quicker to provide logs to EQT. Did anyone know this was coming? Seems kinda shitty of COBB to drop this without warnings. (That I know of)

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
Side note, have you had issues with SD tunes and elevation? They are of course inherently based on MAP, so how would it not account for changes in elevation? Been running SD on my Gen3 LS for years.
Where have you gone with your car? The issue we had was with an LS2 GTO my friend had. He went from a Procharger to a PT 7675 and SD tuned, I had the PT7475 in my LS1 GTO. We both went to training at Ft Huachuca AZ from San Antonio, TX. My car was fine all the way, his started acting up half way up through New Mexico, close to Las Cruzes. Anytime he got on boost close to WOT it will hesitate and throw a code. Both cars were tuned with EFILive but my car was Closed Loop, I never had any issues. He pull the codes and call the tuner, the ECU was not compensating for the lack of oxygen in the air.

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
Reposting this from the EQT thread. As it appears that the MQB won't be as affected as the other platforms. Also, there is still a possibility of Flex-Fuel for us because our cars have native flex fuel input sensors unlike the GT-R where you need to use the rear O2 sensors for the input.
From Ed on FB:

This is clearly the hot topic of the day, so let's try to clear some things up.

This is part of a continued effort from Cobb to be as compliant as possible with the EPA and CARB. It's not easy for anyone, but this is the only way that our industry can continue to exist. Cobb is not the first to implement such measures and most other tuning companies will have to follow suit soon if they want to continue to operate in the USA. None of this is a big surprise as things have been moving in this direction for years.

This update covers all platforms supported by Cobb, but it affects these platforms in varying ways. Let's start with how it affects our MQB EA888.3 cars and tuning. Thankfully, we are one of the least affected platforms overall. All Cobb based tunes on this platform have always retained full functionality of emissions code and checks. If any tuned car was not running emissions equipment that satisfies the factory checks, the ECU will set the appropriate P code which will appear with a scan of the ECU. The only difference is that up until now, we were allowed to decrease the priority of certain codes so that they would not illuminate the CEL in the cabin even though they would be present on a scan. This means that any new tunes will continue to function just like they always have, with one exception. If your vehicle has hardware that causes a factory check to set an error code, your CEL will illuminate alerting you to the stored code.

Other platforms are more affected by this. For example, Subaru and GT-R flex fuel tunes had been set up in such a way that they use existing factory sensor inputs to wire in a flex fuel sensor. These sensors usually have to do with emissions functionality, so they can no longer be deleted and used for a flex fuel input. As such, these platforms can no longer use the same flex fuel functionality and alternate methods are being worked on (alternate inputs such as CAN). Luckily, this will not be an issue for the future flex fuel implementation for MQB cars because our ECU's have a native input set up for a flex fuel sensor. This means that we don't have to replace or alter any emissions based sensor to implement flex fuel functionality.

These are wild times for everyone in the industry. We all want to make sure that we can continue to enjoy our hobbies in a way that is congruent with our evolving society. We will continue to work with companies like Cobb to develop emissions friendly solutions that keep everyone happy and keep our industry alive in the long term. These days, fun and poor emissions do not have to go hand in hand.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Where have you gone with your car? The issue we had was with an LS2 GTO my friend had. He went from a Procharger to a PT 7675 and SD tuned, I had the PT7475 in my LS1 GTO. We both went to training at Ft Huachuca AZ from San Antonio, TX. My car was fine all the way, his started acting up half way up through New Mexico, close to Las Cruzes. Anytime he got on boost close to WOT it will hesitate and throw a code. Both cars were tuned with EFILive but my car was Closed Loop, I never had any issues. He pull the codes and call the tuner, the ECU was not compensating for the lack of oxygen in the air.
I just moved from Clovis NM (4300') to florida (10') and everything works great. Fuel trims and WOT fueling are spot on (I have a wideband perm installed in the car). Probably a tune issue for him, but I am speculating of course. Unfortunately I've seen a lot of garbage LS tunes, there's a right way/process to go about tuning the basic fueling stuff and some other hacky shortcut ways. Anyways, I've found it very resilient.

Now back on topic :)

Mosquito

Go Kart Champion
Everybody gangsta' till the feds come knockin'

How many people were ripping on APR for stopping sales of stage 2 tunes and downpipes?
Somebody had to say it. Thank you!
People thought APR got scared and ran off ditching people on the way out two years ago. As If Holley doesn't have the means to actually sit down with the EPA or put together alternate solutions within 6 weeks.

I am no APR fan but these recent events separate the men from the boys and APR did provide a heads up. Would be nice if people did a bit of research when they invest their money into these tuning companies.

I've been guilty of this before myself.

Hambone

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2020 TR GTI SE
For the most part though what I'm reading is the only really negative impact is there will now be a visible CEL with a DP that does not meet the ECU emission standards for Stage 2?

krisprz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Golf R 6spd
For the most part though what I'm reading is the only really negative impact is there will now be a visible CEL with a DP that does not meet the ECU emission standards for Stage 2?
Yeah anything to do with the disabling of O2 sensors and messing with emissions stuff you will have a CEL that won’t be able to be turned off anymore. Protuners were able to disable the CEL and just have soft codes present without triggering the CEL, but that’s not possible anymore with the new update. Bigger deal for Subies cus they won’t be able to use their cruise control with a CEL on and some might go into a limp mode

Last edited: