GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cobb Consolidated ROM and VCDS

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
Wonder is OBDEleven will open up on the Cobb ConRom too?

burtomr

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
Yes, I am that guy: What is 'ConRom', please?
I have Cobb AP and EQT tunes and cannot get OBD11 to read Live Data & Adaptions, etc. anymore. Using the latest Cobb AP firmware. OBD11 error message: 'Data Not Found Error'

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I have Cobb AP and EQT tunes and cannot get OBD11 to read Live Data & Adaptions, etc. anymore. Using the latest Cobb AP firmware. OBD11 error message: 'Data Not Found Error'

You'll need to flash back to stock to use OBD11.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3

It's a consolidated ROM....cobb usually calls them CCF or "Cobb Custom Feature" ROM. It changes the software version of your ECU, which makes development and tuning easier and also adds all the custom features like Cobb LC, Cobb TC etc, but when OBD11 sees the software version it doesn't recognize it.

There might be a Stage 0 (stock like tune) on a non CCF you can flash so you don't have to completely uninstall it, but either way its a little bit of a hassle and slow process.

But this should only affect the ECU module on OBD11....everything else should be fine. And Cobb can read your ECU codes and do wastegate adaptation. Beyond that though yeah, you would have to flash back to stock to make any changes.

yeahforbes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R DSG
There might be a Stage 0 (stock like tune) on a non CCF you can flash so you don't have to completely uninstall it,
I think EQT will supply this, based on a FB post I saw a while back. Or just go on Cobb's website and download any map for your car that has a version in the 100's (CCF started in version 200).

Last edited:

Ecapskcab

Ready to race!
Car(s)
15 Mk7 GTI
It's on the facebook group... it's for R/S3 only though.
I am getting ready to go with the Cobb w/ EQT protune. Is there still an issue where OBDEleven doesn't work when flashed? For my understanding, if the problem still exists, the process to use the scan tool is to flash to a stock ecu rom, use reader, then flashback to tune?

I'm trying to understand the way COBB access port works. Does it allow reading of live data like the scan tools? Useful features for me are ex. checking misfires, general coding, code reading for diagnosis purposes.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
I am getting ready to go with the Cobb w/ EQT protune. Is there still an issue where OBDEleven doesn't work when flashed? For my understanding, if the problem still exists, the process to use the scan tool is to flash to a stock ecu rom, use reader, then flashback to tune?

I'm trying to understand the way COBB access port works. Does it allow reading of live data like the scan tools? Useful features for me are ex. checking misfires, general coding, code reading for diagnosis purposes.

Overall it still works. It doesn't seem to fully work with the ECU module (due to cobb flash). Like yesterday it knew I had a DTC, but couldnt tell me what the code was (I know it was the O2 heater code, but still). All other modules and functions work fine. I honestly can't remember if it will allow you to see live data on ECU or not (for misfire stuff). I'm honestly surprised that Cobb doesn't have the misfire params available.

For me personally it has been a non issue. I use the AP for anything ECU/TCU related....checking codes....doing relearn procedure etc. Then OBD11 for anything else on that rare occasion.

2019 Golf R

Passed Driver's Ed
Bump for an update - is this still relevant in 2022/2023? Is the accepted practice that if you want to use VCDS or OBD11, you must flash back to stock?

Thank you

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Bump for an update - is this still relevant in 2022/2023? Is the accepted practice that if you want to use VCDS or OBD11, you must flash back to stock?

Thank you
OBD11 works just fine. I'm not sure if VCDS has updated their defs.

-- Ed

yeahforbes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R DSG

Thank you

See post #30. I don't have any newer information, but it's unlikely that it would matter to most people. The vast majority of use cases for the Long Coding Helper are for other (non-ECU) modules.