GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cobb Consolidated ROM and VCDS

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
Unfortunately, even after switching back to the OTS Stage 3 map, I'm getting the error

On one of the MK7 facebook forums someone indicated you have to make sure you load one of the v110 maps. The v200 Cobb OTS maps are CCF ones that won't work. I also received the following from Cobb this morning...

"PJ Baltzor (COBB Support)
So I confirmed with our VW team and if you want to use the VCDS you would need to use a PRE ROMCON map on your MK7 Golf. I have mentioned this with them, along with your comments, and they will put it into the discussion as to future updates on this firmware."

cr_sti

Go Kart Newbie
On one of the MK7 facebook forums someone indicated you have to make sure you load one of the v110 maps. The v200 Cobb OTS maps are CCF ones that won't work.

That's likely the issue, I had the v200 map loaded and was not able to access the Engine Module.

Cobb also responded to me stating:

From what I heard from our VW development group, Ross-Tech was reached out to yesterday by one of our software engineers so it is something that we are looking in to. I can't guarantee that this will be available in the future as I do not know how difficult the programming processes is, what is involved from both ours and Ross-Tech's side, or if it's even able to be done in a timely manner. All I can say is that this is being looked in to at this time. We thank you for your suggestion, understanding and patience and do apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

mto386

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
That's likely the issue, I had the v200 map loaded and was not able to access the Engine Module.

Cobb also responded to me stating:

From what I heard from our VW development group, Ross-Tech was reached out to yesterday by one of our software engineers so it is something that we are looking in to. I can't guarantee that this will be available in the future as I do not know how difficult the programming processes is, what is involved from both ours and Ross-Tech's side, or if it's even able to be done in a timely manner. All I can say is that this is being looked in to at this time. We thank you for your suggestion, understanding and patience and do apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

Guess I'll jump on board and email Cobb to let them know we are serious about getting VCDS functionality back.

mto386

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
“ We are aware of the VCDS tool not working with our ROM CON software on the Accessport. Since it is a consolidated ROM, it's not reading based on the part number that the tool uses since it is a custom part number. You can either flash to a non ROM CON map or uninstall and use the VCDS tool. We're sorry for any inconvenience, but we are actively investigating this issue and hoping to find a solution on this!”

jonnyg

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
“ We are aware of the VCDS tool not working with our ROM CON software on the Accessport. Since it is a consolidated ROM, it's not reading based on the part number that the tool uses since it is a custom part number. You can either flash to a non ROM CON map or uninstall and use the VCDS tool. We're sorry for any inconvenience, but we are actively investigating this issue and hoping to find a solution on this!”

Received exactly same reply

jonnyg

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
I completely removed Cobb AP from my DSG and it still shows the gears when in D or S ( D1,D2,D3,etc) and when in Manual mode, it has shift pointers displayed, for example 1>2, 2>3, etc when driving. Really annoying. I emailed Cobb with the AP files, and they asked if I have any VCDS changes made to my car, I said yes, they said remove all the VCDS changes.....um yeah no...sounds like BS to me. My theory is its something to do with having originally flashed using the old ROMs and now the CON ROM flashes fugged something up when AP was updated.

Anyone else still see the gear display after removing the AP from DSG?

yeahforbes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R DSG
Yes it will remember.
Thinking about this from another angle... if I'm on a ROMCON map and get fault codes that I want to scan with VCDS, sounds like I'd need to switch to a non-ROMCON map to do so, and would the ECU even remember them? Or would they clear and I'd need them to come back?

I know I could just read the faults with the AP, but it's nice to use VCDS, as the original post mentions.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I'm on stg 1 ots tune and haven't had any issues with using obd11.

jonnyg

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Thinking about this from another angle... if I'm on a ROMCON map and get fault codes that I want to scan with VCDS, sounds like I'd need to switch to a non-ROMCON map to do so, and would the ECU even remember them? Or would they clear and I'd need them to come back?

I know I could just read the faults with the AP, but it's nice to use VCDS, as the original post mentions.
All ECU codes are cleared during flashing process, unless they come back on the oem flash or a pre Con Rom file... dont think non ECU codes are affected

jonnyg

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
I'm on stg 1 ots tune and haven't had any issues with using obd11.
Is your Stg 1 file pre Con Rom, if the file name is in 100s then it still works, the Con Rom files are in 200s
I can use vcds on pre Con Rom files no problem.
Wish it wasn't an issue, kinda puts a dent into the Cobb AP option. Vcds is so much more powerful even just for code reading than AP

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Mines 100's.

yeahforbes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R DSG
kinda puts a dent into the Cobb AP option
Forgive my noob assumptions and vocabulary as I am just getting started with considering JUST PURCHASED! a Cobb AP w/ EQT base tune and stumbled across this issue in the EQT FAQ. You're right that this is a bit of a ding, hardly a dent IMHO ? but let's just say hopefully Uwe comes up with a good dent puller if nobody else can.

If a pre-con EQT base tune was a possibility, maybe that would dodge the issue for a while unless post-con offers other critical improvements as well. But I guess it comes down to the fact that it makes no sense for folks like Ed to work with Cobb's pre-con roms, for the same reasons of inefficiency that led to consolidating in the first place?

Last edited:

yeahforbes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R DSG
Good news everyone, with VCDS 19.6 most of the engine module features were disabled (other than very basic things like readiness) but with VCDS 20.4 it's almost all back to normal. The one holdout is that the long coding helper's labels are missing but at least you can use it now (along with adaptation, basic settings, measuring values, etc which all seem to be 100% operational).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-17 at 2.23.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-17 at 2.23.59 PM.png
    145.5 KB · Views: 157
  • Screen Shot 2020-04-17 at 2.27.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-17 at 2.27.19 PM.png
    146.4 KB · Views: 156