Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
1589897569421.png

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Stage1 tunes dont change anything regarding rear O2 sensor functionality or codes....sounds like you have an actual issue to track down.

It's also my understanding that likely all Cobb tunes will be affected by VCDS not being able to read it. When you flash a cobb tune, it loads custom firmware.... "consolidated ROM" or CCF or Cobb Custom Feature ROM. For example, for Golf R/S3 the consolidated ROM is 8V09C0BB01. Vs my stock ROM is 8V0906259K. So when VCDS sees this, it doesn't recognize the vehicle.

I'm looking at some custom tune files and Cobb OTS file in accessport manager and they are all the same Cobb custom rom.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I apparently need to uninstall the AP to have my car scanned at the local Indy shop for a cel. If I understand correctly the uninstall should only take a couple min. Once I re-install the AP will it take another 30 min or does it store everything from the initial install? I ordered a battery maintainer from HF...but it won’t be here for a couple weeks.

That's bull. Even a cheap OBD2 dongle and the Torque app will read codes and clear the CEL or any codes. And I'm running a custom dyno tune on the AP.

jonnyg

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Stage1 tunes dont change anything regarding rear O2 sensor functionality or codes....sounds like you have an actual issue to track down.

It's also my understanding that likely all Cobb tunes will be affected by VCDS not being able to read it. When you flash a cobb tune, it loads custom firmware.... "consolidated ROM" or CCF or Cobb Custom Feature ROM. For example, for Golf R/S3 the consolidated ROM is 8V09C0BB01. Vs my stock ROM is 8V0906259K. So when VCDS sees this, it doesn't recognize the vehicle.

I'm looking at some custom tune files and Cobb OTS file in accessport manager and they are all the same Cobb custom rom.

Yep Cobb Consolidated ROM issue aka Con Rom. Once they switched to Con Rom , vcds, obd11 , Odis, etc can't read the ECU bc the Rom is "unknown" not in the data bank. Older Cobb and custom flash files used the actual factory ROMs and could be read By scan tools. I read VCDS now will read Con Rom flashed ECUs.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Yep Cobb Consolidated ROM issue aka Con Rom. Once they switched to Con Rom , vcds, obd11 , Odis, etc can't read the ECU bc the Rom is "unknown" not in the data bank. Older Cobb and custom flash files used the actual factory ROMs and could be read By scan tools. I read VCDS now will read Con Rom flashed ECUs.

I must have an older tune on my car, I bought the AP used and just loaded the stg1 file that was on the AP without updating. I have no issue with OBD11.

jonnyg

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
I must have an older tune on my car, I bought the AP used and just loaded the stg1 file that was on the AP without updating. I have no issue with OBD11.
you can tell if the tune file is pre-CON ROM : V1xx or CON ROM: v2xx in the file name ...unless of course the file name was changed by the user

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Yep, I have the old ROM.

eXult

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 GTI SE 6MT
Apologize for reviving an older thread. I'm about to flash a Cobb map on my car and I bought a battery charger to use it while I flash it (car has been sitting for a while, havent been driving much). Do I just put the red cable on positive terminal first then black cable on the ground piece by the battery? Then just leave the battery charger on a normal 15A charging mode while I flash?

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
On my battery manager I just have both red (+) and black (-) poles hooked up to it.

Unless your car battery is weak 15A is more than enough power. My battery manager can only manage 750mA, but my battery is always in float (100% charged) state and it did fine over the 30min or so.. it was a VERY long wait the first time as I'm more accustomed to my Subie's flashes which goes by pretty quick.

GL with the reflash and makes sure you turn off your BT just in case.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Apologize for reviving an older thread. I'm about to flash a Cobb map on my car and I bought a battery charger to use it while I flash it (car has been sitting for a while, havent been driving much). Do I just put the red cable on positive terminal first then black cable on the ground piece by the battery? Then just leave the battery charger on a normal 15A charging mode while I flash?

Yes, exactly correct. I've never had issues with BT, but I recommend leaving the key in the cup holder so you don't get sidetracked and accidentally walk away with proximity key in your pocket.

eXult

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 GTI SE 6MT
On my battery manager I just have both red (+) and black (-) poles hooked up to it.

Unless your car battery is weak 15A is more than enough power. My battery manager can only manage 750mA, but my battery is always in float (100% charged) state and it did fine over the 30min or so.. it was a VERY long wait the first time as I'm more accustomed to my Subie's flashes which goes by pretty quick.

GL with the reflash and makes sure you turn off your BT just in case.
Yes, exactly correct. I've never had issues with BT, but I recommend leaving the key in the cup holder so you don't get sidetracked and accidentally walk away with proximity key in your pocket.
Thanks guys. Almost forgot about the BT. I reached out to Cobb and they also advised me to not open or close the door while flashing.

MikeyR44

Go Kart Newbie
Which battery maintainer is everyone using while you flash? Amazon has a ton, but I’m a little confused between the charger vs maintainer and if there’s a difference?

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Which battery maintainer is everyone using while you flash? Amazon has a ton, but I’m a little confused between the charger vs maintainer and if there’s a difference?

I have something that is more of a maintainer, because I always have some sort of project car that sits around a lot. So I want something that I can plug in and it does the rest...test the battery, charge it, then go into long term float/maint mode.

I've had a nice fancy CTEK one in the past, but it shit the bed. I'm now using some harbor freight "viking" brand cheapy one and it's been working great. It's only 4-5 amps max but that's fine and never an issue for flashing, assuming your battery isn't about to die.

Some of the more expensive maintainers have much higher amps...... but many of the cheap high amp chargers are just that, not multi function maintainers. If that makes sense.

Get what suits your needs and budget the most