GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cobb Accessport?

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
Looks like the "DTR, Garrett, something else?" in your sig just got more realistic.
I have the DTR in my garage. I was going to use Reflext for that. However, my plans have changed and I think I’m going to go weaksauce and is20 flex tune instead.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Well, now that most people are stuck in their tuning platforms I don’t see as many people switching compared to what would have been a couple of years ago. MPI on a 1.8t and allowing custom tunes would’ve been a game changer for this platform.
I think people will switch. All the guys saying how much they love their IE or Uni tunes will see guys posting about getting tune revisions and they will get fomo. There will be more big power 1.8s which will give more guys fomo.

Welcome to the fucking rabbit hole guys.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Well, now that most people are stuck in their tuning platforms I don’t see as many people switching compared to what would have been a couple of years ago. MPI on a 1.8t and allowing custom tunes would’ve been a game changer for this platform.
Agreed - a bit late now. No reason to switch but for a n00b to the platform it's a nice option. Still think I'd do United if I wanted MPI.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Agreed - a bit late now. No reason to switch but for a n00b to the platform it's a nice option. Still think I'd do United if I wanted MPI.
WHY!!?!? do not agree.. MPI is not anything complicated. The hardest part is the install.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Holy shit, so they could’ve done this this entire time.

Yep... even more baffling to me is how it took them a few years to release Audi A3 and S3 support.

Versus a GTI/Golf R, they are literally the exact same ECU, exact same box codes, exact same tune files. The only thing preventing it was a VIN check they put in place.

It is very surprising it took this long to get 1.8 support. But Cobb is also big on providing OTS tunes for any car they support. Although I don't think it would have been a huge effort to make a couple more Stage 1 OTS files... I guess they decided that extra effort wasn't worth it.

EPA/CARB drama / delays could be a factor too. Everything including OTS tunes from Cobb from now on include a CARB EO, so that certainly pushed the timeline back.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
Why IS20 and not 38?
Because of what I use the car for. I also can do full e85 with just an HPFP upgrade as opposed to MPI and lpfp with the is38.

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion

I'm going to wait and see what kind of numbers they're able to coax out of it. I had Stratified custom tune my K04'd MK6 GTI and it was noticeably better than the canned GIAC tune I was running. Considering there's only a handful of tunes for us IS38 folks, I think this will be a really good thing.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
If they are able to make the GTI HPFP work you can finally push the is38 limits.

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Precisely where I'm at. Upgraded to a GTI HPFP with Reflect, no desire now to drop the several extra hundred to jump ship to Cobb. Somewhat whelmed by Reflect's OTS tune with the uprated pump, but I kept ahold of the tuning dongle, and I'll probably go and lock down a full custom tune through them later in the year.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I'm going to wait and see what kind of numbers they're able to coax out of it. I had Stratified custom tune my K04'd MK6 GTI and it was noticeably better than the canned GIAC tune I was running. Considering there's only a handful of tunes for us IS38 folks, I think this will be a really good thing.
The current crop OTS IS38 tunes are already v. good and pushing the fuelling system...I don't think there's much left on the table.

OBP

Go Kart Newbie
If they are able to make the GTI HPFP work you can finally push the is38 limits.

I’ve asked another member here, but just how much more PSI does the GTI HPFP run over the stock HPFP?
I know Ian talked about more HP just from switching over the HPFP, presumably from better atomization from the higher rail pressure.

When I compare my fuel rail pressure from my 2016 R vs my 2019 Alltrack, they’re approximately the same at 2800 psi.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Ballpark about 50% more. About 100% if you did 2.0 HPFP and upgraded internals.

2.0 cars target 200bar rail pressure all the way to red line and iirc a stock tune 1.8 starts to taper down to 170 bar by 5000rpm or so. not a huge difference

OBP

Go Kart Newbie
Just checked fuel rail pressure between my R, GTI, and Alltrack… all three fluctuate between 2850-2900 psi.

Could the 2019 1.8L have the same HPFP setup as the 2.0L? (We know that there were some tuning differences for that year with the R and GTi models.)