GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cobb Accessport V3: Note on installing for the first time

Cliff p.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 Golf R DSG
TL;DR: Disable bluetooth in your infotainment prior to installing the Cobb AP3, just to be on the safe side.

All,

I had some issues installing my Cobb AP3 w/ DSG today. It stopped around 28% into the initial flash, and reported "unable to verify flash block" and rendered my car unable to start with TCM and ECM errors. After a phone call to Cobb, the rep on the other end of the phone mentioned that they noticed in testing that some cars had issues with infotainment bluetooth causing issues with the flashing. Something about the bluetooth connection isn't liked, and causes the Cobb to stop updating and issue the above error.

The fix was to disable bluetooth in the infotainment menu, and then to uninstall the Cobb AP3, even though it didn't fully install. Once the uninstall was completed, I started the car to verify there were no errors, and then shut it down and started the installation again. This time it installed correctly, and all is well.

Last edited:

S1ack

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7 R
Maybe lead with...

TL;DR: Disable bluetooth in your infotainment prior to installing the Cobb AP3, just to be on the safe side.

In any case thanks for the heads up I'll be doing this in the future.

edrex

Ready to race!
Did they say whether this was a problem with switching between maps also or just on the initial install?

Cliff p.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 Golf R DSG
Did they say whether this was a problem with switching between maps also or just on the initial install?

They mentioned that during their testing, it was happening on installation. No mention of it happening during map switching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cliff p.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 Golf R DSG
Sounds good. I wonder if I can run my X34 CF intake with the Cobb OTS Stage1 tune.. I suppose I could log it.

Both my Subaru’s run AP.

I don’t see why not? I’m running the stage 3 91 OTS map currently with a stock intercooler, and holy hell its a raped ape.

Cliff p.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 Golf R DSG
Just a follow up for everyone: I flashed a different map today without disabling Bluetooth, and it flashed fine with no errors. Seems to me the issue is related to initial installation of the AP3 hardware, and even then doesn’t affect all vehicles.

xxbreezewoodxx

Passed Driver's Ed
How are the Cobb maps? I have one waiting to be installed. I’ve been using a JB4 on map2 and map6. Anyone have a comparison?

CmlapisMK7R

I ran the Cobb AP OTS stage 1 high torque and loved it. Now I have made a bunch of chages to the car and I am running a ED@EQT stage 2 93 octane with the ED DSG tune and its fantastic. Cobb accessport is great.

Cliff p.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 Golf R DSG
Cobb OTS maps are better than JB4. They do far more for the car than just interpreting signals and altering them. JB4 is great for what it does, but Cobb AP does an all around better job (at the risk of warranty void).

xxbreezewoodxx

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks guys , I’ve been debating. I’ve heard the Cobb OTS maps aren’t good. I was going to get the EQT base tune to hold me over until I went stage 2. JB4 was amazing aside from the constant engine and EPC lights.