GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Coast-to-Coast Road Trip

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
Corprin,

I appreciate the offer. Unfortunately, the trip is not casual enough for me to take a lot of side trips. You'll see why as I post more info...

No prob, I get it. Most of the routes id recommend will get you to the same place, just not on boring ass freeways.

like Santa Cruz to Los Gatos. You can brave Hwy 17, or you can take San Jose Soquel -> Summit -> Old Santa Cruz Hwy. Takes about the same amount of time if you drive 17 at a safe speed, but so much more enjoyable.

here’s the Old Santa Cruz Hwy part.

F7084E1A-E2B5-48DB-86EF-A7492231FBDD.jpeg

Last edited:

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
I just wanna point out NN is close enough to being to the coast that I would count it, it's a stones throw away from water at all times it seems

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Thanks for the comments! I tend to agree that NN is "close enough." But, for photos and future video, I think viewers will appreciate seeing the oceans instead of just taking my word for it. Plus, am analytical and literal enough to want it for myself. :geek:

We left my brother's place and headed west. The "fastest" route to Alamogordo, NM is along I-10. The speed limit was 85 mph the last time I was out there. It's very easy to cruise along at 110 and barely see other cars. BUT towing a trailer means slower travel speeds. Therefore, I-10 was not more advantageous over the "slower" highways that went through the middle of the state. I also wanted to enter Alamogordo through Cloudcroft since I hadn't been there in a while. I was hoping to make it to White Sands for some sunset photos, but that didn't happen.

The drive through west Texas was boring, but relaxing. The trailer speed limit in Texas during the day is 70 mph. I drove the posted speed limit of 75. The car pulled the estimated 1100-lb trailer just fine. I was certain my fuel economy would suffer because of the higher speeds and the fact that the upper deck bag was like having a parachute behind the car! :-D We wanted to make sure that we caught a meal at Whataburger, an apparent staple of Texas dining. ;) I took a photo, but forgot to get a Whataburger logo in the shot...

We drove through miles and miles of pumpjacks and oil fields. I had taken a small amount of pride in using only top tier fuels in my car. They may have played a part in why my intake was relatively clean at 106,000 miles. But there are no top tier fuels out here, which is ironic when considering the huge supply of raw material. My fuel gauge plummeted faster than expected. Time to find some fuel on the smartphone. "Ah, a Chevron. That's good stuff." Nope...

That's not a Chevron! I found a "Shell" location, but it was a corporate office, too. I had little choice but to refuel at the Pilot truck stop. That's when I discovered that I was no longer in the land of 93 AKI... 91 AKI only...

My fuel economy was 19 mpg. Yes, NINETEEN! :eek: I need to slow down! I then did a casual stunt-park job so that I could go inside. As I came out and took some photos of my bride waiting at the car...

... and walked around to check my straps, I noticed this...

UGH! My tires are screw magnets no matter where I drive! HAHA! I have a warranty with Discount Tire, but there are none around here. Good thing I carry a plug kit and pump in the trunk...

I hadn't lost any tire pressure, not enough to trigger the TPMS, anyway. I'll get it looked at when I'm able to slow down and find a Discount Tire.

We continued west and were amazed at how many pumpjacks we could see. They stretched as far as we could see. I drive with satellite imagery enabled on Android Auto. I think each of these white spots is a gravel pad with a pumpjack...

Areas like this are the lifeblood of our country, perhaps the world. It's amazing how people who never drive here can take it for granted. Nearly everything we use comes from petroleum... it's not all about fuel. Anyway, I wanted to see if I could find a pumpjack to photograph with the car. I didn't have much luck finding any that weren't fenced-in or far from the road. I eventually captured this photo, just to say "Got one..."

It's not as good as another image that I had captured years ago with my Mk3. But it was enough. Later, as sunset was approaching, we passed a pumpjack that was closer to the road and on an open corner of land. "We're turning around for that one." I knew it would be our last shot at a decent photo...

The puncture and search for fuel put us behind schedule. So, we didn't make it to White Sands before sunset (obviously, given the photos above). It was plenty-dark when we arrived in Cloudcroft at ~8500 feet in elevation. That place was shutdown and DARK. As we descended the mountain, we were startled by a HUGE elk on the road. The two-lane road cut through the mountain, basically creating a "chute" for us to drive through. The elk was casually walking up the mountain in the oncoming lane. His head was down, no glowing eyes and no light reflection from his coat... he was just a huge mass of "OH ****" in the dark. I estimated him at about 1000 lbs, but darkness adds a few hundred, right? Thankfully, he was calm and held his place. Otherwise, a physical encounter with him might have ended the trip. I didn't get a photo... I was busy cleaning out my britches! :ROFLMAO:

We got settled in our room plenty late and planned to shoot at White Sands the following morning. Getting a sunrise or "golden hour" shots would be great. But the park doesn't open until 7am, or after both of those opportunities. Here's how I used a "rock garden" to park for the night...

White Sands photos in my next post...

Last edited:

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
It takes about 45 minutes to load the car each morning. Not wanting to delay our arrival at White Sands, we left without packing the car and headed to a car wash so that the photos would be pretty. :) Then, it was off to the park...

If you look closely, you can see a small indent where some creature had probably sat to admire my GTI. :love:

Here's a look at how far off-highway we were...

After shooting photos, we went back to the room, packed the car, and hit the road to head toward our next stop in Kingman, AZ. Of course, our next stop had to be a Starbucks to get a New Mexico "Been There" mug. ;)

We saw a strange structure in Tularosa, NM. One friend speculated that it had something to do with pollution monitoring due to some natural toxins in the area. Another friend said that he recognized it as an antenna that's "camouflaged" as a flagpole. This one simply isn't finished enough to raise a flag. What do you think?

As we continued west, we noticed an interesting formation on the satellite imagery...

It turned out to be a huge lava flow, known as Valley of Fires...

Along the way, we realized that we would drive past the "Very Large Array," which is a series of radio telescopes near Socorro, NM. They're been featured in motion pictures, such as "Contact," and are often associated with SETI, or Search for Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence. The array consists of 27dishes in a "Y" configuration (plus one that's in a maintenance status). They are positioned on railroad tracks so that they can be moved into wide or tight patterns, depending on what the operators are scanning. Of course, the visitor center was closed. Our hope was to get close enough to one to get a photo. We were successful!

I could add one to my ham radio suite after reinforcing the roof to support ~230 tons! ;)

We found ourselves unable to make it to the next top tier fuel station along our route. So, we stopped in Queodo, NM for food and fuel. While there, I spotted this unique credit union "branch."

We drove on into the night until we reached our next stop in Kingman, AZ...

Last edited:

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I don't have a photo of any heroic parking at the hotel in Kingman. So, it must've been pretty standard. HAHA! Kingman, AZ is a cool place to visit. Of the different Route 66 attractions along our route, this is the one that feels the most authentic and preserved. Here are a few photos:

I didn't even notice that my wife was messing with me by posing. LOL!

This station had burned down several times from sparks cast-off by locomotives. The fires were cured when they rebuilt this station out of poured concrete...

Kingman is definitely proud of its servicemembers. I didn't get any photos, but the lamp posts have images of current active duty servicemembers from all branches who are from Kingman. There's also a memorial park for Kingman residents who died in service of our country...

Here are a few random shots taken during the morning...

Kingman was cool and I would have loved to stay longer. But we needed to get to Fresno to pickup my daughter from the airport. Each time I had visited CA in the past, I was told "You have to get an In-N-Out Burger!" I don't recall if they were nearby when I was stationed in Alameda nearly 20 years ago. I never saw one. But they seem to be the rage now. When I visited CA two months ago, the dining rooms were closed and the drive-thru lines were stagnant, likely with a 30-minute wait for service. Sorry - NO BURGER is worth that. But I hadn't written-off In-N-Out yet. There was one in Barstow, CA and the line was short enough for me to tolerate.

We had meals in about 10 minutes. THAT'S BETTER! My assessment? It's a good burger; not worth a 30-minute wait, but very good for 10 minutes. ;) Next, we began our assault on Tehachapi Pass, home to over 4000 wind turbines. I didn't think to get any still images. But I hope to feature some video footage when I publish the video from that approach. We stopped in Tehachapi for fuel; it was going to be 91 AKI for a while...

Tehachapi Pass is the only climb in CA, other than "The Grapevine," that stood out to me. But there was still plenty of climbing along the route. It was somewhere in there that I joined "The Club" and wound up on the side of the road...

The stop was brief. I was climbing and probably should have been down a gear. I had experienced a check engine light a day or two earlier, also while in a climb at only 2500 rpm. However, this time the EPC came on, the CEL was flashing, and the car's behavior was terrible. I knew I could restart the car and drive gently. But I was on a dark, twisty road. I don't know what happens with the key-start cars, but when I push the START/STOP button to turn off the engine, the lights go out, too. That's no good on that road. I found a place to pull over and restarted the car there. It was then that I realized I needed to stay in a lower gear with this trailer and the hills.

I pulled codes with OBDEleven and have the following:

I had planned to visit Sequoia National Park in the morning and then my mother's memorial service in the afternoon. But that's changed to the dealer for coil packs instead. Obviously, I'd make the memorial service, even if I have to steal a car. :devilish:

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
White Sands is awesome. Spent time there when stationed at Ft. Bliss. Proposed to my wife there.... nothing but crazy white sand for as far as you could see. Did you go by Elephant Butte by chance? Great food around that part of the country

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Hello,

I meant to start this thread a while back, but life has been turbulent. I live in SE Virginia. My brother (central Texas) and I recently visited my mother in central California for what we were certain would be our last chance to see her alive. Sure enough, she died two days after we left CA. She was 72 and had suffered from a rare neurological disorder for about seven years. We quickly made a plan to return for her memorial service. He and his wife would fly from Texas, but I made a plan to drive so that I could retrieve her cremains and some personal effects. My wife would join me.

I prepped the car by changing the oil and filters and then having the intake cleaned of carbon deposits. The intake cleaning was a bit premature, but it was good insurance that I would not have to deal with potential intake issues while 3000 miles from home. Here's a look at the intake with 106,000 miles of gunk:

They didn't look bad at all! I also had the mechanic inspect key areas that might present a problem on the long road trip. My tires are relatively new... no worries there. My daughter planned to join us from her USMC air station in NC, flying to Fresno. So, I loaded the rooftop cargo box to free-up some room inside the car for her.

My wife has dietary restrictions. Plus, a lot of areas are still locked-down with dining rooms being closed. Therefore, I invested in a 12V refrigerator/freezer that would enable us to travel with our own food and shop in grocery stores instead of restaurants.

Recalling some areas in New England with no 4G/LTE coverage, and knowing we'd see plenty of dead-zones out west, I opted to add a WeBoost cellular signal booster to the car.

I'll report more on that later. I said this is a "coast-to-coast" trip. We don't live on the coast; and neither did my mother. So, about a week before the main trip began, my daughter and I took a side trip to Chincoteague, VA to take a few photos at the Atlantic Ocean.

Look closely and you'll see a porpoise jumping in the background...

We got stuck while attempting to back into this area for a quick photo. A quick, gentle push was all it took to be free...

There! East Coast: CHECK! ;-)

My mother had three cats. They were with a good caretaker. However, that caretaker was having second thoughts about keeping them. Seeing my mother (and good friend) wither away without getting to enjoy retirement had her thinking that she and her husband might like to travel while they still could (he's 80). I don't blame them. Seeing my mother fall ill just as she was leaving the workforce has me wondering if now's the time to enjoy some domestic travel. My wife and I are "cat people." So, we made a new plan that involved bringing them home. That will kill our travel plans for a while, but Mom would be pleased to know that her babies are getting to stay together.

Our plan to pack the cats in three kennels for travel inside the car meant that there was no room for the refrigerator and Mom's personal effects. What to do? That's right: BABY TRAILER! I wired a 12V extension from the trunk to the trailer box and placed the fridge in the front section of the trailer for a smooth ride. We carried our luggage in the trailer, too, opting to put more weight on the separate axle than on the car.

With the trailer along for the ride, I opted to carry full-size spare tires for the trailer and the car. Sure, the donuts are still under the trailer and under the electronics panel, but having full-size spares added a layer of security. I carried the tires and some tools/fluids in the cargo box. My rooftop load, including the rack and box, was right at VW's specified 165 lbs (75 kg).

We quickly ran out of room in the trailer and opted to use the upper cargo deck. That meant using the cargo bag that I had reviewed last year:

Looks like this bag will be put to the test now. :) I'll share more later.

Take Care,

Scott

My condolences.

NY01

Passed Driver's Ed
Very cool journey. Thanks for documenting. My condolences to your family. 2020 has been a tough one. Lost my Dad a few months ago.

mk7.5kV

Car(s)
2019 gti
Very nice write up I actually grew up in Tehachapi. and worked on the Alta-wind project out there before moving to Texas. Fun fact the same turbines there are the ones seen in hangover 3.