GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Coast-to-Coast Road Trip

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Our first order of business in the morning was to assemble the kennels and then repack the car without using any of the space in the car that we previously had. The three kennels take up everything but the floor behind the front seats. We had to go to Home Depot for a few supplies such as shipping boxes and packing tape. When we got back and assembled everything, we found ourselves out of time with the hotel and just put everything in the parking lot so that we could work there and figure out a new place for everything. This isn't even all of it:

The shipping boxes, not photo'd, were a tool to gauge how much extra space we needed. Obviously, carboard boxes would present a problem if we encountered rain or snow. Once I knew what would fit where, we went back to Home Depot and picked up a couple of Husky roller boxes. They strapped-down nicely on the trailer's lid...

We then went to retrieve the cats, Mom's cremains, her records, and other effects from her good friend and executor, Joyce. There was more stuff than I expected. The Husky tubs were a wise purchase... I'm glad I bought two instead of just the one I thought I needed! With everything loaded, there were two buckets that we had been traveling with that wouldn't fit in the trailer. One was a sealed Chemical Guys bucket that had my "Motherfluffer" towels inside. There was no way I'd leave that behind! I found a home for it in front of the Husky tubs...

The other bucket was simply an uncapped cat litter pail that I had some car wash soap, wheel clean, and something else that slips my mind, perhaps wet towels. I left that behind and gave Joyce the option to either use the liquids or toss them. I didn't care; she didn't need to spare my feelings by saying, "Oh, we'll certainly use it." ;)

The cats were already in small pet carriers in Joyce's home. I don't think I've described them. They are "Miss Kitty," an eleven year old female long-haired calico; "Rusty," a ten year old overweight male long-haired orange tabby, and "Digby," a five year old male polydactyl long-haired orange tabby. The boys have been afraid of strangers for as long as I recall, perhaps especially true of men. Rusty freaked out in a major fashion when we walked in. Our first task was to get each cat out of Joyce's carriers and into our kennels. Miss Kitty was easy. She is a very nice, easy-going cat. The boys were a handful. I did most of the handling because I wasn't going to be the loving sort who then winds up chasing cats all over a strange house because one got away. Nope! I manhandled their furry little butts straight into our kennels without fanfare, tears, or sympathy. :ROFLMAO:

Our plan was that those kennels would not be opened for ANY reason unless said kennel was inside of a locked room. Having any of those cats loose outside the car or locked room would make me a homicidal manic since an escapee would likely be uncatchable until it was hit by a car. The wife agreed, which managed both of our expectations. We didn't take any photos of the cats at this point. They were scared out of their minds and burying their heads under the bedding in their kennels. Each cat has food, water, and a litter box. Here you can see that the kennels are plenty large enough for that...

The front kennels are on a level platform. The bottom photo shows one of the two fans that I added to ensure the rear kennel gets ventilation...

We hit the road very late in the day, perhaps 2pm. So, we didn't aim to get very far, just out of the area and into our first hotel at a decent time. Something I didn't mention was our change of route home. My car's engine problem, our one day delay, and reports of inclement weather (and visible slow-downs on I-80 in Google Maps) had me rethinking how much I wanted to risk being in the cold if I have further troubles. The potential for trouble had me thinking I wanted to stay on the Interstates since services are more plentiful there. We had silly goals to "check-off" some of the middle states and to visit a few attractions. BUT, given what my brother saw in the Sequoias, there was a good chance that the Bonneville Salt Flats and Pike's Peak would be inaccessible to my GTI and trailer, anyway. I had already cancelled all of our hotel reservations along the previous return route when we were delayed one day. So, we already had to reschedule everything... and with shorter travel days due to our fatigue. I removed NV, UT, WY, CO, and NE from our plan and moved our return route to along I-40.

Our first stop was in Tehachapi, just 120 miles down the road. I don't remember seeing the pumpjacks in Bakersfield that someone mentioned. I must've been really focused on the drive or simply desensitized to their presence after having seen so many in TX and NM. We got a nice suite at the end of the hallway and were able to park right outside the door. The parking lot was nearly empty. I "stunt-parked" two spots over from the only other vehicle in the lot, which made coming out to THIS the next morning a bit of a surprise...

I've heard of people with POS cars doing this to "teach a lesson" to those who park in more than one spot. In fact, I used to know a guy with a beater Mk3 who would park even closer to those "special" parkers. But seeing someone do it with an expensive truck threw me off. After taking the photo, I went to move the car so I could load. That's when I saw potential motivation for this driver's decision...

I suspect he was trying to conceal his cargo. While I still think it was inconsiderate to park that way, I at least understood that he wasn't trying to be a douche... at least I hope that's the case. Regardless, we were loaded and on our way before they showed their faces. That suited me fine. We also encountered our first ice along the trip, which was almost nothing at all, but still photo-worthy... ;)

We drove to Flagstaff, AZ, with one of our fuel stops being in Seligman, AZ...

I'm told there's cool stuff to see in Seligman, but it was dark and I had a goal to make Flagstaff. So, we continued into the darkness. Here's where I stuffed my trailer at our Flagstaff hotel. Parking was very limited. Someone pulling a horse trailer commented at the front desk that "we" would need to park down the street. "We'll see" was my simple reply. He drove by as we were unloading...

In case you're wondering, we do unload the trailer every evening and reload every morning. That sucks about 90 minutes out of each day. This stay added another 15 minutes in each the morning and evening since we couldn't park near a door. I put a priority on getting a parking spot that worked ahead of a convenient off-load since parking was scarce here. The hotel room was interesting. The owners had converted one side into "suites" by knocking out a portion of a dividing wall, then made one side the king bedroom and the other into a living room. They left the bathrooms "as-is", which meant that we had two. The problem was that they were both TINY, nothing I'd want to lock the cats into. We used the Husky tubs and kennels to create a barrier so that the cats would have run of the bathroom and sink area...

Miss Kitty escaped around 3:30 am. She rubbed on my face and then went under the blankets. I was content to leave her be until my wife reminded me that her water and litter box was on the other side of the barricade. Plus, we needed to check on the boys to make sure they weren't out, too. I stuffed her back into their space and fortified the opening where she had squeezed through.

Our goal was to make Oklahoma City the following day. But, more important, I wanted to visit a special Route 66 attraction...

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Thanks for the comments!

Excellent write -up. I also enjoy your YouTube channel. One more, your healthy transformation is impressive. Nice work all around!

I dread stepping on a scale when this is all done. I'm avoiding sodas (none in nearly a year), but have been drinking hot chocolates in the mornings when my wife gets a "Been There" mug. Yes, I know I don't HAVE to. But it helps make the long days more enjoyable. Interesting fact is that my pants don't FEEL like they're getting tighter. So, perhaps I'm not plumping-up after all. Who knows? I'll find out soon enough. :oops:

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Our path to Oklahoma City took us right past Shamrock, TX. I don't know EVERYTHING about Shamrock, but I think Conoco Tower is a cool place to visit. I'm quite certain that the garage in Pixar's "Cars" was inspired by this building...

As we passed through the Texas panhandle, we were surprised to see wind turbines for as far as was humanly possible. I thought there was a lot of wind turbines near Tehachapi (nearly 5000). But this area touts having over 10,000 of them. Based on what we saw, I believe it. I managed to get close enough to one on a quiet road to snap this photo...

We continued to Oklahoma City and checked in at our planned stop. It was a convention center, which seemed cool, but it wasn't. I knew unloading would be painful as soon as the receptionist gave me a map and told me how to drive to the parking area. UGH! There was only one luggage cart. Thankfully, we snagged it and went to work. There was only one elevator for the whole place. It wasn't busy, but it was far from the only ramp in the parking lot, which was near the only handicap parking spot in the area. It had me wondering why the accessible rooms are so far from the conference center... or why the parking spot is so far from the accessible rooms... Oh well, not my problem. The two spots beside the handicap spot were open; so, I took them...

Unloading was slow and noisy. The luggage cart was rattly and the concrete balcony walkway had thick breaks. This resulted in about an hour of "ku-thunka-thunka-thunka-thunk" nonsense. My neighbors HAD to have hated it. I know I did. :cautious: Thankfully, it was only 7:30pm and not 10.

Later, a big pickup truck parked right on the line beside me. That was expected and okay with me since it ensured that no one would stunt park beside me. ;)

Hey, have you even wondered what happens when you're shooting photos of an awesome stunt-park-job and move the luggage cart because it was in the shot?

:ROFLMAO: The room is a large, divided suite; so, the cats have full run of the place...

Last edited:

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
The cats were out and about, probably feeling a bit more like cats than prisoners now. I think they slept on the bed with us. But hide whenever I stir. I was wide awake at 4-5am; so, I got up and went to the other room to work on photos while my wife and cats slept. When it was time to pack, the cats went straight into hiding. Miss Kitty is an easy catch. Rusty was easy, too, since he's too fat to fit into any tight spaces. Digby had dug his way into a crevice under the bed and was hissing and growling when it was time to remove him. It was all posturing. I found a luggage cart and went to work loading the car... "kuh-thunka-thunka-thunka-thunk..."

We got breakfast and an Oklahoma "Been There" mug at Starbucks and then went to a Route 66 attraction in Miami, OK for lunch...

From there, we wanted a "Been There" mug from Kansas. The closest Starbucks along our route was in Pittsburg, KS. We passed this Route 66 attraction along the way...

I was hoping to pass a large Route 66 logo on the road somewhere. But we weren't on Route 66 for any stretches long enough to find one. Our poor fuel economy compelled me to stay closer to the Interstate. But I think we did alright with photos with what we've seen. I forgot to mention that I managed to find a Whataburger in Amarillo to get a shot with the logo...

I tried the "Hatch Green Chile Bacon Burger" shown on the sign. I didn't like it. Maybe I'll try something else when I see another Whataburger in a year or longer. ;)

We passed more "hay art" along the way...

We also saw several amusement parks along I-40 through AZ, NM, TX, OK, and MO. I think most of them are Six Flags parks. I'm sure NONE of them made money in 2020. I wonder if they'll recover...

We also spotted this water tower in Groom, TX...

We saw this amusing site at a rest stop...

I forgot to mention a big "WTF" moment when we refueled in the Texas panhandle...

Not even 91 AKI! We'll see if it produces performance issues...

Yeah, I'm sort of back-tracking on my photos. These are cool shots that I forgot to share earlier since I'm still organizing my photos. We stopped for the night in Rolla, MO. This is the first hotel parking lot that had pull-thru parking that was open. We had this center section all to ourselves...

It was cold and VERY windy. So, we unloaded in rapid fashion. I was a hassle to fight against the wind blowing the straps and loose bags everywhere. There wasn't a luggage cart. But, since we were on ground level and the room was right beneath where I took this photo, it was much faster to just grab items and briskly move them to the room. We were glad to crank-up the heat when it was all over. It made me thankful that we didn't travel through Laramie, WY (as planned), where the temps had been below 0°F recently.

Next, we headed to Dayton, OH, a bit out of our way, to visit with a former supervisor with whom I served aboard a ship in the early 1990's. I was 24, inquisitive, yet trying; she was 37, not trained on my equipment, but still not eager to take my sass. I'm surprised I didn't drive her nuts. It should be an interesting visit. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

cb1111

Great reporting and great pictures. What was the elevation where they only had 90 "proof" gas. The need for octane goes down as the elevation goes up.

Regarding that RV photo - "I" always end up in the driver's seat too whenever I get left in the car for more than a minute. Never as a passenger, always as the driver....

ack_attack

Passed Driver's Ed
Even though the circumstances around the trip aren't ideal (sorry to hear of you mom's passing), this sounds like a wonderful trip nonetheless.

My (now ex-) wife and I took a Route 66 trip last October from Chicago to Williams, AZ. There are some incredible remnants of Route 66 left, if you know where to find them.

An unexpected highlight - one morning, we were just getting out of the car to go to the MidPoint Cafe in Adrian, TX. Off to the west, coming off I40 was a semi carrying a wind turbine blade. It was fascinating to watch the extended trailer navigating a corner the way it did. Fortunately, the main drag in Adrian is fairly wide, so there weren't any issues, but still cool to watch.

Too bad about the northern route back. We made the round trip from the Williams/Grand Canyon area back home via UT and CO. UT has some amazing scenery even from the interstates - even more so when you get onto local roads. Oh well, maybe you can get to those states next - highly recommended, if you haven't already been.

Your travelogue has been a joy to read/view - Thanx for sharing! :)

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Even though the circumstances around the trip aren't ideal (sorry to hear of you mom's passing), this sounds like a wonderful trip nonetheless.

My (now ex-) wife and I took a Route 66 trip last October from Chicago to Williams, AZ. There are some incredible remnants of Route 66 left, if you know where to find them.

An unexpected highlight - one morning, we were just getting out of the car to go to the MidPoint Cafe in Adrian, TX. Off to the west, coming off I40 was a semi carrying a wind turbine blade. It was fascinating to watch the extended trailer navigating a corner the way it did. Fortunately, the main drag in Adrian is fairly wide, so there weren't any issues, but still cool to watch.

Too bad about the northern route back. We made the round trip from the Williams/Grand Canyon area back home via UT and CO. UT has some amazing scenery even from the interstates - even more so when you get onto local roads. Oh well, maybe you can get to those states next - highly recommended, if you haven't already been.

Your travelogue has been a joy to read/view - Thanx for sharing! :)

You missed the best parts of Route 66.
Starts in Seligman, AZ and goes to the California border. Williams is east of Seligman.

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Hello,

Great reporting and great pictures. What was the elevation where they only had 90 "proof" gas. The need for octane goes down as the elevation goes up.

I recall learning that many years ago when I drove through there with a normally-aspirated car. Oddly enough, Amarillo and Shamrock are about 3000 feet and had 90 AKI (86 AKI for "regular"). Alamogordo and other locations are at higher elevations and have 91 AKI. So, I'm not sure of the rhyme and reason. Regardless, my car drove fine. With my engine's current ailment, I've been driving at less than 1/2-throttle to ensure that I stay out of the power. I don't know how the fuel would affect the car if I was able to use full power.

Even though the circumstances around the trip aren't ideal (sorry to hear of you mom's passing), this sounds like a wonderful trip nonetheless. Your travelogue has been a joy to read/view - Thanx for sharing! :)

Thanks! I'm about to post more. I've been posting more than day-for-day updates. I think my next post will about catch me up to my IG/FB feeds.

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
We had a good visit with my friend. It was good to laugh at some of the crazy stuff I would try to pull with her. Ah, "kids!" ;)

Our last stop before getting home was near Charleston, WV. Again parking was limited. I found this spot right under our hotel room. If we had a rope, it would have been very tempting to haul our stuff up and through the window...

Need cat pictures.

The cats finally slept with us AND were still visible when I awoke. So, I got some photos before they scattered. My wife appreciated that! :ROFLMAO:

"GOOD MORNING, HONEY!"

They tried to scatter once I was up. Miss Kitty's easy to catch, Rusty's too fat to hide anywhere, and Digby made his way into the unreachables under the bed. He sure was surprised that humans are a crafty lot...

cb1111

Cute cats. You're right, too much gristle and one of them has a bit too much fat - I'd have intestinal issues :D

They're going to you a good home and your mom is smiling down at you.

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
The trailer was looking a bit lopsided when I brought the first load of cargo out in the morning. Sure enough, I have another puncture...

I reinflated with my compressor and didn't find any signs of serious leaks or vandalism. Then we found the cause when I rolled the trailer out...

DAMN! Screwed again! Plug kit to the rescue!

There is less lateral force applied to trailer tires. I have not decided if I will have it fixed at a tire shop. But I probably will since I already need to have one of the car's tires repaired... one trip; two kills.

Last edited: