GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clutch Slipping At 13K Miles

Jargon

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
I really thought it would last longer. Obviously the topic has been beat to death and I have read from many of you how weak they are but 13K miles? I bought the car two years ago when it had 5K. I don't drive it like an asshole. I did one track day last year. No tune or real performance mods (Intake, Short shifter and Catback)

Guess I Finally have an excuse to buy an accesport and get an EQT tune

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Uh...

It should have lasted WAY longer on stock power.

Barring some sort of defect in the build.... either the first 5k took an inordinate amount of life out of the clutch or your driving style is what killed it.

You don't have to drive like a psychopath to kill the clutch, not downshifting on the highway and using 5th and 6th to pass a lot will eventually get the job done as well.

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
Without knowing what the first 5k miles were like...who knows why it failed. Replace with an upgraded clutch!

For all you know the previous owner could have taught all his children to drive manual on it before trading it in. 😅 :ROFLMAO:

Cytokine

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 LSG 6MT Golf R
I have a 2017 6-MT, stock.
I have been driving manuals for 30 years, never had one go with less than 200 km. This one started to slip at 20,000 km. Took it to the dealer, the told me it was me, and there was nothing wrong. Crazy!

I pushed the issue, after lots of back and forth the took it apart and found the disk was warped. They replaced with a new one, no issues since. I'm at 90km now.
I really think they have some manufacturing issue with their clutches.
Good luck.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I "broke" a pressure plate and a disk on separate GM cars decades when I drove manuals. Both times it was due to defects but I was still denied warranty repairs.

Rare Ara S3

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Audi S3, GTI
Someone teach the entire neighborhood how to drive stick with your car? Yikes
Wife’s 2015 gti 125k still on stock clutch that drives as good as it did when new. Stage 1 tuned since 60k.
Our 03 jetta 1.8t had 286k when we sold it and it was still on the original clutch and turbo. Original owners.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Someone teach the entire neighborhood how to drive stick with your car? Yikes
Wife’s 2015 gti 125k still on stock clutch that drives as good as it did when new. Stage 1 tuned since 60k.
Our 03 jetta 1.8t had 286k when we sold it and it was still on the original clutch and turbo. Original owners.
Damn bro, 286k miles still on original clutch and turbo? I think you take the record for most miles on original clutch and turbo.

Shadowtuy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Uh...

It should have lasted WAY longer on stock power.

Barring some sort of defect in the build.... either the first 5k took an inordinate amount of life out of the clutch or your driving style is what killed it.

You don't have to drive like a psychopath to kill the clutch, not downshifting on the highway and using 5th and 6th to pass a lot will eventually get the job done as well.
WAIT...passing in 5th isnt ok??? Crapppppppppppppppppppp I'm such a noob so I usually downshift to 5th to pass someone at 3k rpm.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
WAIT...passing in 5th isnt ok??? Crapppppppppppppppppppp I'm such a noob so I usually downshift to 5th to pass someone at 3k rpm.
Rule of thumb. Don't use too much throttle in any gear at too low of an RPM. At 3K RPM you should at least be dropping to 4th gear to pass or 3rd gear depending on what your RPM is at 3K in that gear. It's not only hard on the clutch it's hard on the crankshaft to use high throttle at low RPM in too high of a gear. It's lugging the motor.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
My stock clutch lasted longer on a tune lol

Last edited:

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Assuming you're not flooring it and doing pulls from 50 to 80 mph in 5th/6th then it's probably fine. 3k isn't that low

Shadowtuy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Assuming you're not flooring it and doing pulls from 50 to 80 mph in 5th/6th then it's probably fine. 3k isn't that low
I'm in 6th at 2k just keeping pace, I drop to 5th at 3k rpm and go around 5 to 10 mph to pass. If I feel like flooring it its 6th to 4th but I try to baby the downshift because I am not great at that much of a downshift.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
I really thought it would last longer. Obviously the topic has been beat to death and I have read from many of you how weak they are but 13K miles? I bought the car two years ago when it had 5K. I don't drive it like an asshole. I did one track day last year. No tune or real performance mods (Intake, Short shifter and Catback)

Guess I Finally have an excuse to buy an accesport and get an EQT tune
If the previous driver slipped the clutch too much and generated hot spots on the flywheel then you'll always get some funkiness in shifting, even after changing the clutch. Hot spots many times don't go away after resurfacing the flywheel either so, after changing the clutch and driving properly (which the previous owner most likely did not) you'll still get some weirdness out of it.

You didn't say if it was wonky WHEN you bought it or at some point between 5k and 13k so, if it started to slip after you bought it, it's possible you just slip the clutch too much and generated your own hot spots or wore the clutch down.

If it's not to your liking, not much choice but to get a clutch job. Otherwise it will gnaw at you more and more.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
I'm in 6th at 2k just keeping pace, I drop to 5th at 3k rpm and go around 5 to 10 mph to pass. If I feel like flooring it its 6th to 4th but I try to baby the downshift because I am not great at that much of a downshift.
Ya, no need to trip over that