GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clutch slip with 6mt/4mo

joedubs

Go Kart Champion
I posted over on vortex too, but I'm curious what folks over here think. My clutch started slipping with my FBO 6mt sportwagen (on maestro). I'm going to try and figure out how far to go since at this point I would like to do a hybrid or boss kit. That said, there's been some discussion on crank walk in the 2L cars...

It seems like most instances of crank walk were on the early mk7's, but, a high clamping force pressure plate was also indicated as a contributing factor.

There haven't been many high output 1.8ts, and even fewer are manual. I want to do something more aggressive than a TTRS clutch, since the rated torque is right around where a boss kit would put me (and I want to do it one time).

Anybody have any input?

Hornung418

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey, Joe,

You'll find that the South Bend Stage 2 Endurance clutch is enough to hold 465lb ft of torque at the crank. That's what I have been using for 15k miles and it hasn't skipped a beat since installing the hybrid turbo.

I don't think that crank walk should be a concern for the 1.8.

Square1

Go Kart Champion
I posted over on vortex too, but I'm curious what folks over here think. My clutch started slipping with my FBO 6mt sportwagen (on maestro). I'm going to try and figure out how far to go since at this point I would like to do a hybrid or boss kit. That said, there's been some discussion on crank walk in the 2L cars...

It seems like most instances of crank walk were on the early mk7's, but, a high clamping force pressure plate was also indicated as a contributing factor.

There haven't been many high output 1.8ts, and even fewer are manual. I want to do something more aggressive than a TTRS clutch, since the rated torque is right around where a boss kit would put me (and I want to do it one time).

Anybody have any input?

How long did the stock clutch last?

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
I haven't heard of any crank walk on the 1.8's.

joedubs

Go Kart Champion
How long did the stock clutch last?

Lol...
I have ~8500 miles. Been driving manual for 15 years. Daily is a manual Tacoma. I've owned 2 automatics.

Stock turbo. Snow guard removal, forge intake pipe, apr inlet, apr charge piping, apr intercooler, apr downpipe, milltek catback, maestro stage2 file. I have a v2 Integrated intake on the way (if they ever get them in stock again), but I think I'll have to lower the boost in maestro so I can actually enjoy the car this summer.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
I think the RSR has a higher tq rating than the TTRS. I have the TTRS and do lots of spirited street driving and probably make at least 400tq or a bit more. No slips yet but no track days either.