GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clutch noise...

jcarson112

Ready to race!
Over the last month or so I've been hearing this irritating and rather questionable sound which I'm assuming is from the clutch.

The best way I can describe the sound is like when you push back a chair that you're sitting in across a wood floor and the leg catches and makes that kinda chalkboard sound. This happens on inclines mostly, very rarely on flats, from first gear and reverse. I can also feel a little feedback from the clutch pedal. I have kinda garaged it a little bit because I'm afraid something's wrong.

Should I wait (1k) for the 15k service or just take it in now... and what could it be?

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Throw out bearing.

Search the forum and you'll find at least 5 threads on this.

allset

Go Kart Champion
yup throw out bearing and or attached slave cyl. I have the same issue. be prepared for vw to threaten u with a 4 hour tear down at your expense if they decide its not covered.

Frankenstein_VW

Shop Owner / Technician
Definitely sounds like a T/O Bearing to me, we have seen them go bad on low mileage vehicles.

norsairius

Go Kart Newbie
Well that's awesome. My car makes this noise. Will it create any real issues down the road if it's FUBAR? Is it something I should have checked out ASAP?

Edit: It makes this noise when starting from a stop, whether it be in first or reverse. Once the clutch is fully engaged, the noise is not heard.

allset

Go Kart Champion
Well that's awesome. My car makes this noise. Will it create any real issues down the road if it's FUBAR? Is it something I should have checked out ASAP?

Edit: It makes this noise when starting from a stop, whether it be in first or reverse. Once the clutch is fully engaged, the noise is not heard.

mine has been making the noise since like 3000k im at 16000k now. VW dealer said it doesnt effect drivablilty so to leave it but also made the above threat. I fully expect my clutch to go way early anyway due to my mods so the plan is to put a southbend clutch in and change the TOB/slave when i do that and try to get VW to at least cover that.

I dont know what ur mod situation is. but have the dealer listen to it at least

norsairius

Go Kart Newbie
mine has been making the noise since like 3000k im at 16000k now. VW dealer said it doesnt effect drivablilty so to leave it but also made the above threat. I fully expect my clutch to go way early anyway due to my mods so the plan is to put a southbend clutch in and change the TOB/slave when i do that and try to get VW to at least cover that.

I dont know what ur mod situation is. but have the dealer listen to it at least
Thanks for the info. Sounds like it should be okay. I'm not too far away from my 40k, about 8000 miles away, but that goes by fast given the fact that I put about 200 mi./week plus the occasional trip to visit my parents which is about 700 mi. round trip.

I'll have the dealer techs listen to it then. I did have them listen to it last October/November-ish soon after I got the car, but I was told that it was normal. I've since started going to a different dealership though, so we'll see what they say at my 40k service.

I don't feel anything through the clutch pedal, btw, I just hear the noise, does that make a difference?

If anyone else has any other info or opinions, please share!

dowright82

WRX Convert
Mine did this right before my clutch started slipping . . . . it was cold and winter. Now that its warm and summer out, I barely have any slippage occuring.

jcarson112

Ready to race!
Welp thats tarded...

I have no mods, don't thrash the car, have been driving manual transmissions for 10 years, and they won't cover something that went to shit before I even hit 15k? Even with something that is as prevalent as this issue is? I wonder what VW america will say if I get to bitching up that high. I'm not paying 1500 out of pocket for replacement of all that crap.

Guess we'll see when I bring it in. Thanks for the info about my issue though.

whalesalad

Ready to race!
I've had this for a LONG time and it's annoying as fuh. I always assumed that it was the throwout bearing too and also heard that a dealer would charge you some outrageous amount if the checked and found it wasn't the cause. Here is a vid of my problem that I recorded months ago and never posted:

allset

Go Kart Champion
I've had this for a LONG time and it's annoying as fuh. I always assumed that it was the throwout bearing too and also heard that a dealer would charge you some outrageous amount if the checked and found it wasn't the cause. Here is a vid of my problem that I recorded months ago and never posted:

ahhaaahaha...yup thats the fuking noise.

allset

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the info. Sounds like it should be okay. I'm not too far away from my 40k, about 8000 miles away, but that goes by fast given the fact that I put about 200 mi./week plus the occasional trip to visit my parents which is about 700 mi. round trip.

I'll have the dealer techs listen to it then. I did have them listen to it last October/November-ish soon after I got the car, but I was told that it was normal. I've since started going to a different dealership though, so we'll see what they say at my 40k service.

I don't feel anything through the clutch pedal, btw, I just hear the noise, does that make a difference?

If anyone else has any other info or opinions, please share!

no you wont feel anything, at least i dont. Check out Whalesalads video above, thats the noise.

norsairius

Go Kart Newbie
Oh, whoa, I definitely don't have that noise. I have what sounds like a soft, low-pitched groaning, which is what I think is the noise a chair makes when moving across a wooden floor slowly anyway. I mis-interpreted the original description of the sound.

allset

Go Kart Champion
Oh, whoa, I definitely don't have that noise. I have what sounds like a soft, low-pitched groaning, which is what I think is the noise a chair makes when moving across a wooden floor slowly anyway. I mis-interpreted the original description of the sound.

ok, but ur description of the chair is exactly the way i would describe my sound. The vid is a bit high but its the closest ive heard online. Whats important is u hear it as soon as he lets out on the clutch. Also the desrciptions of the noise louder on a hill are also right on. i would get it checked either way.