GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clutch noise help?

AxMan

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
Audi S5
So, this isn’t my first manual gear box, but it is my first one in several years. I usually drive with the radio on, but lately have been cruising with it off. I have had the car lowered lately with APR springs and have a few simple bolt on. I also have the ECS clutch line and modified stock bleeder block.

On to the issue. In neutral, or when in gear, there is no noise I can hear outside of the car, or even inside. When I shift, though, i get a vibration in the slight clutch pedal and I hear a slight buzzing/ vibration noise. Not sure if this is normal? I have tried to narrow it down, but can’t find anything specific. I have 16k miles, no tune, I don’t track my car, and I don’t really beat on it. I have done 0 launches as well. Any thoughts?

I have looked online for these symptoms, but none of the other issues I can see relate. I have bled my clutch using a bleeder kit and my fluid is in between the lines.

Edit: I noticed the noise about two weeks ago. Have had the spring in since May, and checked everything I can think of that would be removed to install them for security.

AxMan

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
Audi S5
Ok. So after more searching, it looks like it may be due to removal of the swirl valve in the clutch line? Not 100% though. I’ve had the line for about 4 months as well.

19 r

Passed Driver's Ed
Try these tests (all while car sitting still and in neutral):
1 clutch out (foot not on pedal)
2 clutch held in (pedal held down)
3 clutch moving in (pedal moving down)
4 clutch moving out (pedal moving up)

I think you've reported that there is no vibration on number 1 above.

Vibration on number 2 would indicate the throw out bearing going bad, or an issue (something worn or loose/broken) within the pressure plate or clutch disk.

Vibration on number 3 and/or number 4, but not on number 2, would indicate the clutch disk likely chattering against the transmission input shaft and needs lubrication. It's also possible something (spring(s)) broken in the pressure plate causing the clutch plate to hang on the input shaft.

If you get no vibrations sitting still - only while moving and shifting gears, it's probably chatter when the clutch plate contacts the flywheel. This would possibly be broken spring(s) in the pressure plate causing one area of the clutch plate to contact the fly wheel before the rest of the plate.

In short, there are so many things it could be that you may never know exactly what it is even if you replace the clutch.

AxMan

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
Audi S5
It’s more like two, with a low noise, but the vibration fades away quickly after pressing and holding the clutch in. It’s not continuous.