GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clutch No Worky!

NoGasNoGo

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Here is the clutch, I don't have a picture of it. I was thinking I might need to measure that, but didn't know what the specifications are to compare it to.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210420-093536_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20210420-093536_Google.jpg
    518.6 KB · Views: 84

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Why did you buy this particular clutch? It looks like it holds near stock levels of power.

NoGasNoGo

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 GTI
It's my daily driver and I wanted to stick with the DMF to keep it quiet and comfortable as well as a sprung center disc. Iam installing an IE stage 1 tune, so needed a little more holding power, but didn't want anything too aggressive, heavy, and loud. This seemed to fit the bill.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Here is the clutch, I don't have a picture of it. I was thinking I might need to measure that, but didn't know what the specifications are to compare it to.
What’s the Specific dics that you installed sprung like in the pic?

Also dont worry about the specifications for your purposes.

You need to measure the distance from the motor side mounting surface to the face of the flywheel fingers, and then measure the distance from the belhousing mounting surface to the tob face when fully depressed. Then you can tell of the TOB is even making contact

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
It's my daily driver and I wanted to stick with the DMF to keep it quiet and comfortable as well as a sprung center disc. Iam installing an IE stage 1 tune, so needed a little more holding power, but didn't want anything too aggressive, heavy, and loud. This seemed to fit the bill.
If the disc you have is sprung with those large springs that’s your problem... and fcp listed the kit wrong.

The Sachs dmf doesn’t have the required center cavity to clear those discs

NoGasNoGo

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 GTI
The sprung center sticks out more on the presure plate side and clears everything. I already took it all back apart once to check it all. If that disc is put in backwards you are correct, it won't clear, but mine is in correctly.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
The sprung center sticks out more on the presure plate side and clears everything. I already took it all back apart once to check it all. If that disc is put in backwards you are correct, it won't clear, but mine is in correctly.
not to doubt you... but i do lol.

no way around... drop the trans measure it like suggested and while you're there take a picture of the clutch mounted as I've got a good feeling ill see the finger in the full depressed state due to the sprung disc incorrectly paired to the fly wheel.

the spec clutches I've seen on line that show accurate pictures of the products show unspring discs for DMF applications... the only reason the factory disc has springs that clear are from being smaller, more outward from the center and the because the OEM fingers on the clutch have a arch to clear them.

so yes you may think it seems to clear on the flywheel side, but did you also confirm there is enough space between the back side the finger on the pressure plate and the sprung discs center to give them enough room to compress and release the tension on the pressure plate?

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
keep in mind the gap between the fingers and the PP shrinks alot as you tighten down the PP bolts to spec, so when you "test" fit it there is much more clearance.

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
Do you have a clutch stop installed? Sounds like a throwout bearing issue if anything, which one did you use?

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
You say that to all the boys. 🤣
Did you ever see that old Eddie Murphy movie - come to America, I think it's called. There's a scene there where he goes "when you think of garbage think of Hakeem".

When you think of slipping clutches think of Daks.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
But honestly though, for real, I think that clutch slips with IE stage 1.