GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clutch issues

Taff

Car(s)
VW Golf TDI mk 7
I had problems a few weeks back when my clutch pedal was sticking to the floor and not returning. Realised that the reservoir was low empty so filled it up, pumped the pedals a few times and it was OK. It's now been to the garage and they found some residue around the master cylinder so have changed that. I wasn't 100% convinced by this as I would assume there would either be a noticeable amount of fluid in the footwell or under the car. I am however still losing fluid. Took it into the garage on Friday and asked them to look at it again - they have pressure tested the system and also had a check over everything to look for leaks and can't find anything. They called to tell me as such and I went to collect this morning but now the clutch pedal is back to the floor and the reservoir back to low levels. The strange thing is that the car has been left twice for 3-4 days over a weekend and not been driven and has leaked. I can top up the reservoir and then drive it and don't lose a drop. With the amount lost you would expect to see something somewhere. I've looked through a fair few different forum posts on various site and can't find this particular issue.

If it's not the slave then the only other thing I can think of is there's an issue with the brakes but then I would assume that the levels would drop below the minimum and I would suffer brake failure too?

VW Golf 2.0 TDI 2013

Taff

Car(s)
VW Golf TDI mk 7
Thanks for the suggestion. I've looked at the bleeder valve although not removed anything for a really good look. There were no signs of leaking in the area from what I could see. What symptoms did you have? Were you mysteriously losing liquid?

c31561

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I am having the same issues, clutch stuck on the floor and low levels in the reservoir. (And it happens to my wife, not a good thing) My situation is different in that I now have a small amount of yellowish liquid coming from the transmission weep hole on the bottom. I suspect that my slave cylinder (throw out bearing) is going bad and slowly leaking into the bellhousing area.

In your case, the fluid has to be going somewhere. It is a closed system and will not work if there is any sort of leak for long. It doesn't take a lot of oil to make what appears to be a mess. Jack up the car and take off the wheels. Follow the brake lines to each wheel and inspect each joint for any sort of leakage. Do the same for the clutch line (it's pretty short). Since it is your clutch that is having issues and not the brakes, I would be looking more closely there.