GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clutch help (I know, I know. I searched first.)

Cemetery

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
e36m/e46m/mk7r
I called HST a couple times about this, and the explanation I was given was that the hardware in the regular RSR kit is the same as it was for the mk6, but they have since downrated it for the mk7 because the 'torque is delivered in a much more aggressive way' in the mk7, which has resulted in failures for folks making above 380lb/ft in mk7 cars. They didn't recommend it for my EQT Stage 2 tune which they said would be right at or a little over the threshold of what they now say it can handle.

Also, they said that they re-built the Hybrid version early last year because of some longevity issues and some failures at the upper limits of what some people are making with big turbos, etc., and now stand by it up to 550lb/ft, and told me that if I'm not going to the drag strip, etc., that I should be able to get at least 50k miles out of it.

Of course this clutch is new to me, and I never had the regular version, so I'm just passing on what they told me rather than vouching for anything. Clearly some people have been fine with the regular version at pretty decent power levels.

Honestly kind of bullshit. I figured they downrated it for the mk7 because it has a harder torque curve, but 480 is 480.

I don't like that.

Boje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
In case anyone digs this thread up later, considering the RSR Hybrid Clutch kit, I thought I'd follow up with my thoughts after break-in: I followed the break-in instructions religiously, driving 1000 (very tedious) miles in stop-and-go traffic, never going over ~2500 rpm, staying out of boost, and never rev-matching. It sucked, especially as I re-flashed the EQT Stage 2 tune that destroyed my stock clutch as soon as the new one went in (couldn't help myself).

Anyway, the clutch is amazing so far. The only real difference from stock drivability is a slightly stiffer pedal, which took me all of about 5 minutes to get used to after install. No shuddering or vibrations in first, or reverse, and virtually no chatter. I say virtually because yesterday after putting about 1300 miles on the new clutch, I swapped out my 034 mounts for BFI stage 1 mounts. Doing this actually reduced vibrations (my 034 mounts were shot after less than a year – no launches, no track time, no abuse, they're just crap. But, ECS did refund them in full after I bought the new mounts from them. That was good of them. The BFI mounts are MILES better, the only change which might bother some people is that the car now sounds noticeably more mechanical, and it brought out a tiny bit of clutch chatter that wasn't there with the softer mounts. BFI evangelist @GTI Jake isn't wrong.)

I obviously cant speak to the clutch's longevity yet, but it's holding the EQT tune's torque well (according to EQT, I should be around 407lb/ft). I couldn't be happier with it, despite the expense. Fingers crossed i can say the same in 50k miles' time.

Boje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Oh and I also had my valves walnut blasted, if anyone's interested in how they looked at 100k miles (sorry, these are the only pictures I have):

Before

IMG_9193.jpeg

After

IMG_9194.jpeg

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
Those valves don't look bad at all for 100k. I was planning on doing mine in a few months at 55k.

Ive got the standard hst rsr clutch. I'm about to switch from uni Stage 2 to eqt on Monday.

I only gave it 500 miles for break in, and that took more than 2 months because I put it in at the start of lock down. I wasn't as good about it as you. I did rev match and occasionally went to 4k rpm. At 1500 miles now and seems g2g.

Boje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Those valves don't look bad at all for 100k. I was planning on doing mine in a few months at 55k.

Ive got the standard hst rsr clutch. I'm about to switch from uni Stage 2 to eqt on Monday.

I only gave it 500 miles for break in, and that took more than 2 months because I put it in at the start of lock down. I wasn't as good about it as you. I did rev match and occasionally went to 4k rpm. At 1500 miles now and seems g2g.

Yeah that's what I thought as well, first time they've been cleaned, too. Hope your clutch works out well and enjoy the new tune! Thanks again for the clutch help when I was researching mine 👍🏻

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
HS Tuning RSR is essentially an “aftermarket TT-RS clutch” that comes with a warranty and good customer service.

The TT-RS has 450HP stock

Ace92028

Go Kart Newbie
I would get TTRS clutch, best for being quite. OEM feel, holds up to the power you want. Probably one of the cheapest too. Only con is you gotta piece the parts together instead of buying a "kit"

rye0pa

Go Kart Newbie
Does anyone know of anyone trying the Spec 3+ carbon semi-metallic. It is expensive but works with the DMF. I been leaning towards this disc as my next one. Hopefully not soon. LOL

zslaby1010

Passed Driver's Ed
OP great thread,

Is there any reason for going for the HSR hybrid over the HSR standard? Obviously the hybrid has more room for torque but curious if any other reasons for it.
I have the same plan (they usually change) - go AP EQT stage 2 and will need a clutch.

I was looking to go the Sachs SRE Kit but am worried about the torque limit for EQT. Now I’m leaning towards the HSR kit for peace of mind know I have more room for torque.

it’s quite a bit overwhelming as I want to have a shop put the clutch in and plan to never change it again. I’m trying to gather a list of all parts I will need. So far from my research the list looks like this

-Clutch Disc
-Clutch Pressure Plate with bolts
- OEM Flywheel
- Throw out bearing and bolts ( any recommendations?)
-Axel bolts
- HS tuning transmission kit
- IAbed rear main seal
- New fluid (any recommendations?)

so a few questions, I’m sure this will be helpful to others as well:

- Standard HS RSR kit or hybrid HS RSR kit for a EQT stage 2?
- recommendations for Throwout bearing and fluid
- am I missing any critical pieces to supply the shop?

Much appreciated!

Boje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Hi @zslaby1010,

Cheers. My understanding is that the torque capacity is the main difference between the two, but now it's been six months or so since I did all the research, I'm a little foggy on the details... HS Tuning did tell me that they would not recommend the non-hybrid for any mk7 making near 400 torque, and from what I was told by EQT, their OTS stage 2 93 map should put you a little over 400 with the standard bolt-ons.

I said the same thing to HS Tuning on the phone, that I didn't want to be doing the clutch again on this car, and they said I should get 50k miles out of it if I'm not regularly launching, dragging, etc., which I'm not. I was a bit disappointed by that estimate, and am hoping to get a lot more out of it, but we'll see... I got 100k out of the stock clutch, so maybe I can. They pointed out that any aftermarket performance clutch that holds considerably more power is likely to have a shorter lifespan that the stock clutch on a stock car, due to the materials used.

I've put about 10k miles on this clutch since install and have absolutely no regrets so far, despite the price, and I daily drive it in NYC. No passenger or either of the two people other than myself who've ever driven my car (both women, both unused to performance cars) has commented on the clutch.

I used Motul 300 trans fluid. Can't say much about it as that's the only fluid I've used since the new clutch went in, but it's smooth for me. Throwout bearing I think, if I remember correctly, I used the one HS Tuning sent as part of the kit, which was plastic but the latest revision.

I think your parts list is complete but someone who's done this more recently than me will hopefully chime in if I'm wrong...

Last edited:

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
I was looking to go the Sachs SRE Kit but am worried about the torque limit for EQT. Now I’m leaning towards the HSR kit for peace of mind know I have more room for torque.
If you can source a LUK self-adjusting TTRS pressure plate (which is the pressure plate HS Tuning uses), that will pretty much complete your setup. The disc in the regular RSR kit is lacking and will be the biggest failure point, the Hybrid disc is an unsprung kevlar disc so quite aggressive.

I have the SRE in my car now and it's doing great with my IS38 setup, so I'm a bit biased but still recommend it at its price point. A clutch is a consumable item which won't last forever but your driving style will dictate how much life you'll get out of it.

If I was looking for a "set it and forget it" type of deal, then I'd look at a single mass setup such as the Southbend Stage 3 daily for not too much extra $.

Last edited:

zslaby1010

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the quick feedback guys!
I thought I remember seeing a post where a company is making an all metal throw out bearing, I wonder if I’d might as well go that route.

I have the SRE in my car now and it's doing great with my IS38 setup, so I'm a bit biased but still recommend it at its price point.

Thats good to hear, what pressure plate are you using now and about how much torque are you making? How long have you been using that setup?

I have a Sachs SRE disc on me at the moment (thanks @blaqsheep) and LUK throwout - it’s currently up for sale - wondering if I should just add to those parts instead of going with a “kit” (HRS kit,Southbend,dkm)

choosing between budget, longevity, And power capability seems near impossible with clutches 🧐

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
Thats good to hear, what pressure plate are you using now and about how much torque are you making? How long have you been using that setup?

I have a Sachs SRE disc on me at the moment (thanks @blaqsheep) and LUK throwout - it’s currently up for sale - wondering if I should just add to those parts instead of going with a “kit” (HRS kit,Southbend,dkm)

choosing between budget, longevity, And power capability seems near impossible with clutches 🧐
Clutchmasters makes the all-metal throwout bearing, but it is pricey. I recommend against the MK6 all-metal version.

I'm using the SRE pressure plate and a new flywheel with my setup, almost 10,000 km now still working through tune revisions but roughly making 350whp/370wtq.

Personally I wanted a mix of affordability and drivability so I went with a OEM+ clutch. I also considered the 4 puck clutch disc but as my car is mostly a daily driver, it would have been a bit annoying in stop and go. The RSR Hybrid was on my list but it's quite expensive for what you get. I understand the LUK self-adjusting flywheel isn't cheap to source, so they definitely roll that into the cost of their kit. When you factor in the cost of a new dual-mass flywheel to go with the RSR Hybrid, you're close to Southbend Stage 3 daily territory, which is the only option I'd choose if I wanted a single-mass option. Too many issues and horror stories from other brands.

Try your luck sourcing a TTRS pressure plate and it will pair up nicely with the SRE disc I sold you. If not, get the SRE pressure plate and call it a day and enjoy stage 2 power :)

JonFowler68

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a 2017 golf R with roughly 20k miles on it. With the cold temps the clutch started slipping. It’s only happened a few times in the cold so I imagine it’ll last me a while more.
From what I’ve found... It looks like the RS hybrid has an updated disk compared to the original Hybrid kit. The newer one seems to have more surface area for longevity, and that could probably help with the drivability as well.
Does anyone on here have the updated hybrid disk?
Also, I saw on fcp’s website they now offer the SPEC dual mass kit that looks similar to the hybrid. Does anyone have experience with this brand? Maybe fcp or SPEC would offer more warranty coverage than HS Tuning will...
I like many of you have been going in circles and don’t want to have to do the clutch twice.