GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clutch for stage 2

Luiscalpa

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi all, I just installed the downpipe and ordered the Unitronics stage 2 software for my 2017 Golf R. I understand that have to be looking for a aftermarket clutch. Im ok with it. But I dont do launch, but I like to wot 2,3,4, thats it. What clutch do you guys that are in stage 2 suggest? Ahh is my daily driver. Maybe in the future I will put a better Intercooler and thats it NO stage 3 for me.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I’m a big fan of DKM stage 3 (MS) which uses twin organic disks.

I daily my stage 2 gti with it 60ish miles per day and love it.

Almost 30k miles on the clutch and it’s been great. About 2 dozen 1/4 mile passes and one track day (three 20 min sessions) on it as well.

Sumfuncomet

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Mercedes E63 S
I have the SB stage three daily, great clutch, nice feel once a clutch stop and diesel geek short shifter was installed. The reduced shifter throw makes it feel like I'm not rowing a boat anymore!

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
I have the SB stage three daily, great clutch, nice feel once a clutch stop and diesel geek short shifter was installed. The reduced shifter throw makes it feel like I'm not rowing a boat anymore!

How’s the chatter?

penpal1

i've had sachs performance clutches in both my mk6 and mk7 r and have no complaints. had the whole smf setup with the mk6 and this mk7 i reused the dmf. never had issues with holding stage 2 power in either car.

should specify i used the organic disk that's rated to 400 lb-ft in both cars.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
I have the south bend stage 3 daily clutch in my R. Zero issues with it and it has a good feel. It's always very funny to watch local MQB member's faces when they try my clutch out after being used to the stock clutch.

But honestly it isn't that bad. Feels like a real clutch. Took me about a week or so to get used to it.

I saw that the question was raised about chatter. You're going to have it with a single mass flywheel.

FWIW the Fluidampr doesn't help chatter that much. I know first hand. It helps a little, but not as much as I thought it would. If chatter is a concern, stay dual mass.

I wanted the SMF since it give me a lighter flywheel. Which makes shifting smoothly easier and rev matching faster. It really does improve sprited drivability!

I took the edge off the chatter by doing a transmission fluid change to motul Gear 300 75w90. It still chatters when the transmission is heated up. But not quite as bad as it did with the stock fluid. The fluid also did good things for smoothing out shifting. I did notice on a few cooler mornings where the first few minutes of driving it was a bit notchy. I've read reviews that note colder mornings below 45F it gets pretty rough until the transmission is warmed up a bit.

I’m a big fan of DKM stage 3 (MS) which uses twin organic disks.

I'll second this though I don't have the miles on it to comment on durability though.

There is slight amount chatter that only occurs intermittently. Not loud at all, and when it pops up simply engaging and releasing the clutch usually fixes it. My mechanic said that is most likely related to how the pressure plate happens to seat itself since it's very tightly sprung (or something like that. I don't know enough to understand it).

etmanning

Ready to race!
I have a BFI stage 3. Feels AWESOME and I'm confident that it'll hold all the way up to the 500whp or so as advertised. I'm running 26 lbs map6 on a JB4 (300 ish wheel HP) and it's had no issues so far. About 5K miles.

There is a fair bit of clutch chatter though

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Does anyone know of a clutch that doesn’t sound loud and could handle stage 2.
It’s not bad at all. People make sound worse than it is.

After almost 3k kms on my Stage 3, it sounds normal and isn’t as weird compared to one with a stock clutch that I rode in recently.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Gotta be a daily advanced stage clutch out there that doesnt chatter. I'm researching the same thing.
I don’t think it’s the clutch, but the flywheel. You can get clutches that retain the stock dual mass or even an upgraded one, I think.