GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clutch fluid replacement for 30,000 mi service

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
what is replace clutch fluid? If any dealer told me that, I would walk the fuck out. What they mean is a brake fluid flush which is the same fluid as the clutch fluid. Either way this would not cause a clutch to fail. Second, them telling you $1500 to remove and inspect if it's manufacturer defect or driving style basically means you're on the hook for the $1500 plus the additional parts and labor for a new clutch. At 30k miles, they are def not going to say manufacturer defect. Maybe if it was 300 or 3000 miles. Their price of $3400 is high. Go to an independent shop. You need a new clutch. Parts and labor for a clutch install shouldn't be more than $2000 and I consider that to be on the high side.

I agree for the most part except for if you do the brake fluid flush but don't crack the clutch bleeder, then old fluid remains in the clutch line up until the reservoir.

Navi

Autocross Champion
I agree for the most part except for if you do the brake fluid flush but don't crack the clutch bleeder, then old fluid remains in the clutch line up until the reservoir.
I thought that was a given lol

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
another internet guess of a tech not knowing how to drive MT and toasting a somewhat weak clutch.

I would strongly consider just getting it replaced elsewhere....
good luck and update us

Mud

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
I had zero issues with the car at all. Took it in the morning of Black Friday for new tires, brake pads and rotors, picked it up in the evening. Took it for a drive to a friends house that night and that’s when I had the problem for the first time ever.
honestly this sucks, if their tech nuked your clutch and now it doesn't work then your s.o.l, I don't see any way you can prove the tech nuked the clutch so that makes your case harder to prove. I would consult a car lawyer, also not saying i would go this route, but you can leave a shit review if all else fails to warn others that they have people messing up their cars. Any smart business owner cares alot about those google reviews

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
honestly this sucks, if their tech nuked your clutch and now it doesn't work then your s.o.l, I don't see any way you can prove the tech nuked the clutch so that makes your case harder to prove. I would consult a car lawyer, also not saying i would go this route, but you can leave a shit review if all else fails to warn others that they have people messing up their cars. Any smart business owner cares alot about those google reviews

Seems like it'd be pretty hard, even on this car to toast a clutch puttering around a shop/lot in 1st gear at 5mph. A bunch of stalls, definitely. But I guess anything is possible.

Maybe they took the car to use in a bank heist or to blast around the streets of Chicago, a la Ferris Beueller?

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
I've smoked my clutch pretty damn hard out of my own stupidity a few times and still holding strong granted its an SRE not a stock clutch. I think its just coincidence it started to slip now...especially now that its colder out.

vulticGTI

Go Kart Newbie
Agreed that these slip can happen anytime and you never know if clutch was already slipping for previous owner since it can be weather dependent and scenario dependent.

I just replaced my clutch that was slipping at 22K, just buy a clutch and have it installed either by yourself or indie shop. It's not worth that diagnostics fee and if you replace with an OEM you're only going to have the same problem down the line. Do yourself a favor and invest in a new clutch that won't fail.