GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clutch failure at 12k miles - no warning signs...

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
If the dealer wont fix for free go somewhere else and save a lot of money.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
If the dealer wont fix for free go somewhere else and save a lot of money.

They will still charge him labor for the inspection (the $1000) if it's not covered. So since it is already taken apart there you wouldn't pay someone else additional money for it.

If not covered, now would be the time to put an upgraded clutch in.

On a side note, god my clutch looked immaculate when i upgraded mine compare to yours haha.

Rosaymaan

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey folks so question. Now that i know the prior owner was harder on the tranny (or may not have known how to drive a manual) what else should I be checking on in terms of improper wear?

Also, with the tranny out of the car, what else should I be having done (if anything) just because?

I'm probably going to have them install the sachs SRE kit

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion
Hey folks so question. Now that i know the prior owner was harder on the tranny (or may not have known how to drive a manual) what else should I be checking on in terms of improper wear?

Might be worth while checking the brakes in case the PO beat the crap out of those too.

Rosaymaan

Passed Driver's Ed
UPDATE -- 63 miles on the dealer installed Sachs SRE clutch + new DMF and the clutch has failed AGAIN.

So pissed at VW right now. I knew I wasn't crazy. Clutches don't just fail all of a sudden. Wife texted me today saying low oil pressure light came on. An hour later she called to say the car "had a stroke" and won't shift into gear.

The dealership I'm working with has been pretty good (at least as far as stealerships go). They agreed to install the SRE clutch and gave me a 20% break on the labor (still cost me $850 tho so wasn't cheap). Regardless, I'm fairly certain they can't use the "driver error" excuse with only 60 miles on the clutch that they installed. I even agreed to drive around with the shop foreman on the new clutch so he could "give me some pointers" (waste of time). However, I'm worried they are now going to pull some "not an OEM clutch" BS.

Anyway, it does sound alot like the "crank walk" issue others have had - especially this last incarnation with the oil light. I mentioned this possibility to them the first time around and I got eye rolls b/c I said i got the tip from a forum. I hope it is so they can choke on it. If it is I better get every penny and then some back. WTF volkswagen?!

Rosaymaan

Passed Driver's Ed
UPDATE:

got a call from the SA this AM. He says the car is driving fine now (despite not being able to get the car into gear on Sunday and having it towed). They are still looking into issues. He mentioned they have a "throttle body adapdation" fault/error code and that could have caused the issue.

I keep asking about "crank walk" and he says they will "look into it". Did other crank walk issues throw throttle body adaptation codes?

Rosaymaan

Passed Driver's Ed
Just got a call from the SA. He says they can't find anything wrong with the car. Shifts fine and have gone for 2 test drives. He said they checked the oil and and didn't find any metal in it, but they did not drop the oil pan or anything. I've asked them to put in writing that the car is not suffering from this "crank walk" issue. He said he has to call me back. Not sure how the car could be unable to shift and need to be towed one moment and now drives fine...

Ital

Go Kart Newbie
Rosaymann, whatever happen with this? do you have an update on what was the final issue? I am trying to troubleshoot a clutch issue my self. My clutched just stopped working all f the sudden as well, like something just snapped.

Thank you

Ital

Go Kart Newbie
Hey The Fed, how you doing? nice to see your still hanging around :) yeah i checked his post history and from what I can tell, looks like they installed the stock clutch back in and then he sold the car and the barely used sachs clutch

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Hey The Fed, how you doing? nice to see your still hanging around :) yeah i checked his post history and from what I can tell, looks like they installed the stock clutch back in and then he sold the car and the barely used sachs clutch
Doing well, thanks. I suppose the moral of his story is, don't buy any used manual car if you're not prepared to replace the clutch.

gtifisherman

Passed Driver's Ed
I am almost certain from the story that his thrust washer failed and e had crank walk. Good move on selling the car and clutch.