GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clutch failure at 12k miles - no warning signs...

Rosaymaan

Passed Driver's Ed
so here's the rub...

i bought it in later december '16 from former online company beepi (you guys may remember the commercials with the blue gorrillas). beepi went out of business 10 days after my purchase. they have a 3k / 3mo warranty but im sure its whichever comes first and all attempts to contact them since they closed have failed.

im pretty much fucked i think. is there anything i can do?

Rosaymaan

Passed Driver's Ed
is there any chance that i could have done this kind of damage in the 1200 or so miles i've driven the car??

maybe im crazy and this car needs to be driven differently than every other manual car i've owned (this would be #6.... and never had a clutch issue before)

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I'm guessing the damage was already done, it takes a lot to do that kinda damage to the disk.

I'd just upgrade and enjoy the car, not much else you can do

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion
Holy hell, I've never seen a clutch disc look like that!

Thing looks melted lol. Just be glad it's only your clutch. Time for an upgrade!

Rosaymaan

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks all for your help and thoughts. I'm gonna try and go through vw corp and complain but not sure how much good that's gonna do.

Quote to replace the clutch is $2.4k ... dealer is gonna work with me to try and get that down. Should I replace with oem? If I was going to go with aftermarket what are the upsides/downsides?

dragoncoach

Ready to race!
Most if not all dealers will only install OEM parts, and only the parts for that particular model. i.e. No R clutch in a GTI, especially if warranty is covering it or paying for part of it. They most certainly will not install an aftermarket clutch.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
If they said 1k in labor before they started they should stand by that number. That's ten hours of labor at $100 an hour, which may be what the flat rate book says but it's way over what it really takes (4-5 hours). If you're paying out of pocket and providing the aftermarket clutch they really have no say. Whatever the case I'd play it as follows:

Option 1: Zero out of pocket, they replace it with OEM under warranty

Option 2: You pay the $1000 in labor you agreed to if they couldn't cover it and they install the performance clutch of your choice (about another $1,000 give or take)

I'd never pay for a known bad design/problematic OEM replacement clutch, especially not $2400

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
A SMF aftermarket clutch may be slightly louder at low speeds (more so with an aggressive disk material, commonly ceramic in stage 3, 4, and 5 clutches), but in tern will provide much better pedal feel, more clamping force, higher torque rating, and longer life. Very little negative with tons of positive

dragoncoach

Ready to race!
If they said 1k in labor before they started they should stand by that number. That's ten hours of labor at $100 an hour, which may be what the flat rate book says but it's way over what it really takes (4-5 hours). If you're paying out of pocket and providing the aftermarket clutch they really have no say. Whatever the case I'd play it as follows:

Option 1: Zero out of pocket, they replace it with OEM under warranty

Option 2: You pay the $1000 in labor you agreed to if they couldn't cover it and they install the performance clutch of your choice (about another $1,000 give or take)

I'd never pay for a known bad design/problematic OEM replacement clutch, especially not $2400

If the dealer agrees to install an aftermarket clutch and it is either defective or goes out in 1k miles, who is going to cover the labor? Certainly not the dealer. The problem with dealers installing aftermarket parts is the liability. This is why people go to good indys. The only thing I can think of to getting around installing your parts is to sign a waiver releasing the dealer from all responsibility. This is a sticky situation but I'd probably just let the dealer install the OEM clutch and drive the car. The OP appears to know how to drive sticks, and should get a good serviceable life out of the new clutch.

Rosaymaan

Passed Driver's Ed
So the dealer has and will install an aftermarket clutch but the warranty would come from the manufacturer - as with any other shop from what I understand

What