GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clutch experiences - DKM and RSR

c31561

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
My clutch has just started to slip and looking for opinions. I have read through a bunch of threads and most of the mentioned clutches are DKM and the RSR, plus a few South Bend. Really looking to get user opinions of feel, longevity, and noise of the DKM vs RSR.

The DKM is a dual disk using a SMF capable of 600 ftlb and the RSR is a single disk using a DMF capable of 480 ftlb, both about the same price. Currently I have 2017 Sport with DP and FMIC and no tune, but looking at stage 2 once I replace the clutch. Long term goals include an IS38 upgrade and appropriate tune. I really like the appeal of the DMF with the RSR to reduce some of the noise but not sure how well it will hold up against an IS38 in the future. No real plans to race, more my daily driver with occasional spirited drives.

I appreciate everyone's thoughts.

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I run the DKM MS and have for a good 15k miles with FBO Vortex XL tuned on 93 and have 0 issues with the clutch. Chatter is minimal but some shuddering rolling off the clutch in first if I don't get it just right. I also have BFI Stage 1 mounts, Fluidampr, and Tyrolsport subframe inserts F and R. Clutch holds the power without a problem but that is limited to around 424 ft lb or so to the wheels.

Redmk7gti16

Ready to race!
I have the DKM stage 2 SMFW and it is amazing. Some chatter at idle but i don't mind it. Great price and should work perfect with the IS38.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
I have the RSR hybrid. Holds power great on a stage 2 FBO GTI, feels similar to stock and zero chatter (main reason I got it). No reason to believe it wouldn't hold up on an IS38 either - for a daily driver.

NOT recommended if you want to track or race though.

Redmk7gti16

Ready to race!
I get the shuddering on take off and reverse unless around 1500rpm which doesn't bother me one bit. It's a SMFW if you can deal with what it comes with then its a great option.

GoLfUnV

Ready to race!
Funny, i was thinking about making the post today, so here are my thoughts...
2016 Golf R 35K miles, Revo Stage 2
I got DKM stage 2 installed this past Wednesday, and since I've put about 130 miles on it.
My impression:
At idle wiht radio off sounds like a diesel
Rolling off in 1st until 2500RPM it shudders significantly.
I tend to downshift, and it sounds pretty bad after the downshift.
I am still trying to adjust my rev-matching, as RPMs no longer hang and drop pretty fast.
I just feel it might be too "raw" for the Golf R... I am truly hoping it will quiet down in the next few weeks as it brakes in (someone please confirm this for me).
It is a shame, because it looks like a great quality hardware.

I was considering RSR with oem DMFW, but was unsure it would be able to handle FBO stage 2 power. Actually if it doesn't quiet down, i may give it a try in Summer.

Why is Southbend no longer offering drop in discs? I had one in my stage 2 mk6 GTI, back in the day, and it handled 320lb/tq at the wheels without any issues. I installed it @ 7k miles, and the car stayed with my friend until 130k miles and it still on the same clutch.

Redmk7gti16

Ready to race!
Yes it does quiet down after break in. Also the clutch pedal goes back to normal feel just about. I have 5k on it

c31561

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Thanks for the replies, sounds like both clutches are a good choice. The noise aspect does concern me with the DKM as the DP and stage 1 motor mounts have already added a fair amount. Just from that aspect, the RSR is sounding more appealing.

docwyte

Go Kart Champion
My impression:
At idle wiht radio off sounds like a diesel
Rolling off in 1st until 2500RPM it shudders significantly.
I tend to downshift, and it sounds pretty bad after the downshift.
I am still trying to adjust my rev-matching, as RPMs no longer hang and drop pretty fast.
I just feel it might be too "raw" for the Golf R... I am truly hoping it will quiet down in the next few weeks as it brakes in (someone please confirm this for me).
It is a shame, because it looks like a great quality hardware.

That would drive me crazy. Some rattle at idle is normal with a lwfw, especially in a drive thru line when you're next to a wall. Louder that that? Not so much. Shuddering when you roll out of the throttle? I've never had any setup do that and I've had numerous lwfw/aggressive clutch disc setups.

GoLfUnV

Ready to race!
@docwyte, it is driving me crazy too, but I will give it some time, as I hear it should quiet down some. It is manageable with windows closed and radio on, so it also may grow on me. Finally today I was able to go wot, and it handled power without any issues.

Jewels_mk7

Drag Racing Champion
SACHS SRE clutch with stock Dual mass flywheel. no chatter and feels like stock but a bit stiffer at first. I would recommend. Heres an unboxing vid of what you get with the kit

Last edited: