GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clunking sound when braking

YvesT

Hi everybody

Trying my luck here with an issue I am being having.
This is regarding a golf 7r.
The car makes a noise upon braking and after driving backwards and then forward and braking.
Depending on how hard you brake the noise is louder.

Already checked sub-frame, engine mount, transmission mount, brakes, torsion bar, wheel bolt torque, shocks and springs, exhaust and driveshaft.

Video for making it a bit clearer.

Anybody experienced something like this.
Seems be coming from passenger side corner somewhere. But could be misleading since sound can echo.

Thanks

farcyde11gti

Ready to race!
Sounds like the hood is coming un-latched TBH.

95b14

Go Kart Newbie
Does it only make the noise once each time you change direction? For example, if you stop in reverse, then go forward does it clunk the first time you hit the brakes going forward and then not do it again? My car does this but only one time when the wheel rotation changes.

I’ve chalked it up to the pads moving slightly within the carrier bracket as it will only happen the first time the brakes are applied when rotation direction changes. I haven’t experienced any issues. I also checked mounts, suspension, etc with a big pry bar and all of that was ok. Are the brake pads the original ones that came on the car?

YvesT

That's exactly what it does.
I checked the pads, but didn't see anything that looks like it's coming from the brakes.

95b14

Go Kart Newbie
See if you can move them back and forth within the bracket with a small flathead screwdriver. You won’t really see anything visually. There’s a decent amount of variation of the little shims on the tabs of the pads between aftermarket companies that cause a little bit of movement within the bracket. My ferodos that are on in the summer make more noise (Talking about the click noise) than the trw ceramics I have on now for the winter. Again, are your pads oem? I only noticed this once running non oem pads.

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
Are you using aftermarket pads? Mine does this every pad change or so, but only with aftermarkets due to very slight size variation. If it's pad movement, it's not a problem if you can deal with the sound.

YvesT

Will try again with the pads. But had it on the lift, but honesty didn't check by pushing the pads with a screwdriver.
Discs and pads are aftermarket(EBC).
Problem also just started out of nowhere, no changes were done to any part of the car.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
I’ve had this before, it was the pads, they were making the noise due to being newer than the discs and the discs having a lip around the edge from the old pads, once they bedded to the disc shape it stopped.

Chris M

Car(s)
VW
Will try again with the pads. But had it on the lift, but honesty didn't check by pushing the pads with a screwdriver.
Problem also just started out of nowhere, no changes were done to any part of the car.
Did you ever solve this problem? I have exactly the same noise and everything appears to be tight.

Chris

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Did you ever solve this problem? I have exactly the same noise and everything appears to be tight.

Chris
Welcome to the forum. You might want to send him a Private Message since that was 2 years ago.

twicx

Car(s)
A3 8p
Did you ever get this sorted? I have the same sound happening. Started after doing a dead set kit. There appears to be no movement on my subframe but the harder I hit the brakes the first time in one direction I get a loud clunk like this and I can feel it in the steering wheel. Mine's on the drivers side

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
For the sake of the new members: This has been happening to me for as long as I can remember (I'm still on the original pads and rotors in the rear too). My theory is also that it's the rear pads shifting around, and it's totally normal.