GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clunking After New Brake Pads Fwd/Rvrs - Brake Pad Clips?

erikweber321

Ready to race!
Hey All,

I just did a brake job and I'm going back in there to change the pads (because ceramic are just doody) on my non-performance pack GTI.

1- I am getting a clunking noise when I reverse and stop, then go forward and stop. This will happen forever, every time. I'm assuming this is because the brake pads are shifting around. Maybe don't buy 20$ shitty ceramic brake pads from PowerStop next time? Hopefully that's the cause. I HIGHLY doubt the noise is from the pad carrier bolts (torqued to 200nm), but it worries me that might be the case, so I'm replacing ALL OF ZE BOLTS THIS TIME because let's eliminate variables, right?

2- Are there any brake pad CLIPS for pads that I'm unaware of or just didn't notice during the first job? **I haven't done the rear pads yet, just the front** I can't find any....but it would make sense since I feel like there's perceivable brake pad travel happening.

Let me know what you guys think, if you've had anything like this happen before!

nkresho

suck, squish, bang, blow
Car(s)
2022 Q3
Fronts have the clips riveted on to them. Not a separate part.

Non-pp on top, pp on bottom

Nothing there to stop movement end to end though. If there's play, it'll hit once when you brake after a direction change. IIRC, mine did it with the hawk pads. Doesn't on the pp brakes though.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
" I'm assuming this is because the brake pads are shifting around."
^
This.

Not all that unusual with aftermarket brake pads. I get it a little bit with my Ferodo pads, my nephew gets it a ton on his BMW with aftermarket pads.

nkresho

suck, squish, bang, blow
Car(s)
2022 Q3
When you put the next set in, or in the meantime if you want, pull the pads out and bend the little tabs outward a little, to tighten them up. Might help. It's the first thing I'd try. At least they'll be snug in there. Might stool habe end to end play, but reduced, hopefully.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Harryv15

Car(s)
2017 Mk7 GTI S
Did you get this sorted out? I’m having the same problem with my z26 making the same noise moving fwd or back. Please let me know, thanks