GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clubsport S mid silencer

rick_gti

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Hello all,

Last year I got the Clubsport S muffler installed on my MK7 gti in combination with a stock mid silencer and stock downpipe.

Now I saw that the supplier also sells the original mid silencer of the Clubsport S and my question is if someone had experience with this orginal VW part? -hoping it gets louder.

I saw a lot of posts regarding the CSS Muffler, but couldnt find anything about the CSS mid silencer and thats why I started this threat.

https://shop.ahw-shop.de/vw-golf-7-...r-original-auspuff-schalldaempfer-65mm?c=6423
Thanks in advance,

RICK_GTI @ Instagram

Last edited:

Cptnjosh

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Sport
Hmm. The part # is different from my 2017 MK7 gti mid resonator(5qm-253-209h),but that does not mean it will be louder necessarily. Why not just put in a smaller/lighter resonator from vibrant or magnaflow? You would be cutting out the old one anyway.

rick_gti

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Hmm. The part # is different from my 2017 MK7 gti mid resonator(5qm-253-209h),but that does not mean it will be louder necessarily. Why not just put in a smaller/lighter resonator from vibrant or magnaflow? You would be cutting out the old one anyway.
Becouse I want to stay with a original VW produced part and know that if I would go for a other brand, the sound certainly will be to loud.

Just want to know if someone on this forum has experience with the CSS mid silencer and if it will fit on a non gti performance.

If jou hear an original Mk7 clubsport S on Youtube the sound of that exhaust is just amazing.. so thats why I prefer that part. Not to loud and not to soft.

rick_gti

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Yesterday afternoon had the center muffler mounted and the sound remained about the same. Mutes even a little more I have the idea, but maybe that is because the center silencer still has to be run. With the CSS muffler it was also true that after a few thousand km it came out even more.

If you look at the photo you will see more holes in the middle muffler of the CSS, which means that it dampens more.
Ultimately happy with this damper, because it is completely new now from below and without rust.

In the future there will probably also be a downpipe with perhaps a stage 2 tune. Extra damping against the resonance can therefore not hurt ;-)

Photo on the left is the new CSS middle silencer and on the right that of the standard gti one.|

@rick_gti on Instagram

Cptnjosh

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Sport
Interesting! I have a Clubsport S muffler on order and I have a feeling it will be a little too much sound for me. Maybe this middle silencer will quiet it down a bit. Please report back once you have had some more time with the piece.

777-300ER

Go Kart Newbie
It's just a resonator, not a muffler. Add a vibrant 17930 for the same thing without the price tag.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
imo, when i removed the resonator entirely from my car, it made next to no difference in sound. i doubt this will yield any change.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
It's just a resonator, not a muffler. Add a vibrant 17930 for the same thing without the price tag.

17950*

There’s no reason to use the 2.5” 17930 since the OEM tubing is actually 2.6” and will not allow slip fit so if you’re replacing tubing might as well go 3” to match your 3” downpipe (only reason to ever upgrade a resonator).

Also, contrary to the OP’s beliefs the Vibrant 17950 will be quieter and control drone far better than either of these OEM options because the internal tube is fully perforated allowing the most transfer between inner and outer cambers.

rick_gti

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Interesting! I have a Clubsport S muffler on order and I have a feeling it will be a little too much sound for me. Maybe this middle silencer will quiet it down a bit. Please report back once you have had some more time with the piece.
This mid silencer certainly will reduce the pops out of the exhaust, just becouse it has more damping against the resonance (see picture for difference). So if you want to have less sound this is an affordable upgrade. Another plus is that it is created by Volkswagen itself, so orginal parts.

Cptnjosh

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Sport
Yeah, I thought this would be the case. Yes the DSG farts/ cracks with the clubsport s muffler sound very loud from the videos I have watched. Toning those down a bit would be perfect. Cheapest I found the front silencer was $330 shipped. At that price I will probably just do a vibrant piece if need be.

emg

Hi, question is - do you have any confimed information about where is the limit of HP/Nm for stock Clubsport S catback (after DP change of course) ?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Hi, question is - do you have any confimed information about where is the limit of HP/Nm for stock Clubsport S catback (after DP change of course) ?

Don't worry you'll never reach the limits.

emg

Don't worry you'll never reach the limits.
In stock GTI exhaust ;) or Clubsport (not S) 55mm diameter catback, limit is not so extremely high :)

But did you saw any 500+ at stock Clubsport S catback + custom DP?
any link to project maybe you have?