GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CSS knuckle/hub install/results OEM Camber Fix

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
Hi all,
I've been looking to get more camber up front for better handling and researched the many options. 034 top mounts were at the top of my list until SuperPro came out with their version. I talked to reps at SEMA and and was all ready to buy some top mounts this spring...but I kept reading owner's having issues with NVH from the various top mounts.
So I looked for alternatives, the EuroSport street camber kit was one and I considered that for a while (I can still buy it if I wanted more camber).
I ended up buying the CSS knuckles at E-ACCA for $203.49 each. More expensive than the other options I know, but they have more positives than negatives.
1. Factory part and fitment
2. Effective
3. Dead quiet
Keep in mind I have a Golf R with full stock DCC suspension only thing added are a rear sway bar (H&R) and the CSS knuckles.

Part numbers:
5Q0407254E
5Q0407253E

I also bought, new axle bolts, ball joint nuts and wheel bearing bolts (reused my stock bearings as the car only has 30k miles)
Tools needed were:
Set of triple squares
Strut spreader
Ball joint spreader (I didn't use one, I just flipped the nut, screwed it on a little to protect the threads and gave it a couple whacks with a hammer)
various wrenches

Swapping them on took 3 hrs on the passenger side (first side) and 1 hr on the driver's side (once I knew everything that I needed and had experience from the first side). I figure if I had to do it again it would take 2.5 hrs. To be completely honest the hardest thing about the job was beating my rotors to get them off without damaging them...damn rust! 3lb mallet and a block of wood finally did the trick.

Very happy with the results, car still drives like butter, quiet as can be, sorry no before alignment numbers...it was whatever stock would be before.
DF471F24-11C4-404D-B5C4-59802A24E2E1.jpegBFBB2823-6416-49B7-9431-948C5444F11E.jpegF0A58B99-90DF-4FD1-8BC3-D7D2132D1FDC.jpeg0E7DED85-7CA4-4CD5-8B81-7A56024557F0.jpeg

And the results are:

F45D00C9-AD0A-4879-AD3C-5A0ECEBFAD4E_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited:

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
Yes, I am on stock Golf R springs. Thank you for being the first person to comment! I thought this post would really take off...

Gptuners

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
This is pretty awesome! 😎

I'm adding it to my "maybe" column on my build. I still haven't decided what is in the "for sure" column.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
Yes, I am on stock Golf R springs. Thank you for being the first person to comment! I thought this post would really take off...
Just because it's not taking off doesn't mean we're not jealous, lol.

shlimp

Passed Driver's Ed
Most excellent! I just purchased a set of these myself. Going to swap these in and taking out the 034 camber plates.

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R
Super legit. I suspect some of the lack of traffic might be the title. When I see the words knuckle and hub I think "wonder what they are up too... oh well, no time for me to find out, I'm way too busy figuring out the best way to pull a degree of camber out of my front without sacrificing ride quality in my MK7 R" hahahaha, how ironic. This is so legit that I'd re-title it to "OEM camber fix" or something man, this is fantastic.

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
Super legit. I suspect some of the lack of traffic might be the title. When I see the words knuckle and hub I think "wonder what they are up too... oh well, no time for me to find out, I'm way too busy figuring out the best way to pull a degree of camber out of my front without sacrificing ride quality in my MK7 R" hahahaha, how ironic. This is so legit that I'd re-title it to "OEM camber fix" or something man, this is fantastic.
Fixed LOL!

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
That's a lot of work for what you can get from ground control top hats.
Of course, but this is the OEM+ way without introducing any unwanted NVH due to the metal on metal contact from camber plates. Also for someone with top adjustable struts like myself, you wouldn't need to cut the opening wider in this instance.

pseudorealityx

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
Notching the strut tower is easy... I don't see why people are afraid. 5 mins with a dremel tool.