GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Close encounters - Austin edition

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Ran into a harlequin Golf R on 45 between Pflugerville and round rock on 1/23 around 11am. I had to exit, but really didn't want to. Hoping he's on here.

1/24 8:45am ran into a White Golf R on Mopac South. Didn't have any plates. We got to run a couple of times. Unfortunately, it was wet and didn't have e 85 in it. Wouldn't have mattered as I was spinning through 3rd. We were still even.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Harlequin Golf R you say?
It wasn't exactly like the MK4 one, but it had grey, black, red panels I think. Maybe another color too.

Looked cool.

helushune

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport 6MT
I sometimes see a pristine deep/shadow blue Mk5 R32 in oak hills. It's a real looker.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Also saw a blue one go by on Walsh Talrlton while I was walking the dog. Pretty sure he saw my look of envy.

AzteCypher

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
I see a couple of Mk7 GTIs in Leander/Cedar park area but usually when I'm in the family hauler...:mad:

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I sometimes see a pristine deep/shadow blue Mk5 R32 in oak hills. It's a real looker.
There's one in pflugerville too. He's pretty modded though. Very clean, very good looking car. We got to run once. He was with his girl. He was behind me pushed at a light. Saw him talking to her and pointing at my car. Had an opening getting onto 45. Gapped him by 5 cars from 60 to 120. He pulled up afterwards and i got the thumbs up with a quizzical look.

In my mind the conversation at the light was. "Look at this poseur with the lowered Golf with big wheels. "

helushune

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport 6MT
There's one in pflugerville too. He's pretty modded though. Very clean, very good looking car. We got to run once. He was with his girl. He was behind me pushed at a light. Saw him talking to her and pointing at my car. Had an opening getting onto 45. Gapped him by 5 cars from 60 to 120. He pulled up afterwards and i got the thumbs up with a quizzical look.

In my mind the conversation at the light was. "Look at this poseur with the lowered Golf with big wheels. "
I keep waiting for an inconspicuous Golf to knock my socks off but haven't run in to you yet.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I'm actually pretty slow as far as GTI's & R's are concerned, but I'm faster than most Priuses.

helushune

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport 6MT
I'm actually pretty slow as far as GTI's & R's are concerned, but I'm faster than most Priuses.
I'm tall and a bit of a fatass; I need all the advantage I can get.

I see lots of Mk6/7/7.5 GTIs on my morning commute but get blank stares whenever I wave or give the peace sign. I get more of a response from the classic car drivers.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I'm tall and a bit of a fatass; I need all the advantage I can get.

I see lots of Mk6/7/7.5 GTIs on my morning commute but get blank stares whenever I wave or give the peace sign. I get more of a response from the classic car drivers.
Ha, a friend of mine has a 356, all modern Porsche drivers completely ignore him, it’s actually kind of funny.

I waved at a white Mk8 GTI on Bee Caves last week and he just looked confused. I’ll keep trying.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Yeah. Saw a mk8 R at Costco & guy was walking back to it, so i say nice Mark 8. He looked confused until i said Golf R. Don't think he knew what i meant at first.

Most people that drive these aren't enthusiasts

AzteCypher

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
I keep trying to wave at any Golf if they look my way but same blank stare. Saw a lightly modded GTI yesterday in Leander so I gave him the peace sign but same blank stare... killing me.