GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cliff's Grey Hare

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Have you though about trying the ferodo ds3100? They're not quite ds1.11, but do retain some of the progressive nature of the ds2500 that makes them so fade friendly.

My buddy runs ebc blues on his cayman gts and absolutely loves them with R888r. Those caymans are just such properly sorted cars from the factory!

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
Have you though about trying the ferodo ds3100? They're not quite ds1.11, but do retain some of the progressive nature of the ds2500 that makes them so fade friendly.

My buddy runs ebc blues on his cayman gts and absolutely loves them with R888r. Those caymans are just such properly sorted cars from the factory!

I like the idea of lifetime brake pads and FCP Euro carries the DS1.11.

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
I sold the Golf to a dealer on Saturday and began to clean (as appropriate) and photograph the items taken off the car. I'm not done with that yet. When I am, I'll start a thread in the California regional forum.

Yesterday was devoted to the new car. I washed it, went over it with Wolfgang Paint Polish Enhancer and a PCROB, then finished with a coat of Blackfire liquid sealant and a wipe down with Blackfire spray sealant. I ordered new center caps from HRE but they have not arrived yet.

Cayman GTS-290021-20201129.jpg

Cayman GTS-290028-20201129.jpg Cayman GTS-290026-20201129.jpg

tripleS

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
15 GTI PP \ 16 GT4
Congrats on the 981!!! When I drove a 15/16 Cayman GTS for a session on track a few years back it ruined me in comparison to the Golf... it did everything I wanted it to as an absolute joy. I love those cars. The eagerness and balance adding up to the overall experience was out of this world. Totally understood at that point the reason why they're so praised! Made up my mind I'd also love to to be in one, one day...

...Then fast forward to a couple months ago and I also made the switch into a 2016 GT4 and retired the mk7 to full time commuter instead. I have to say that all the lessons learned on the MK7 seem to translate really well to this platform, and then it just feels that much more capable. Maybe we'll run into each other at an event this coming year!

And +1 for the DS1.11 pads from my initial research, and experience with "endurance" type brake pads on the Golf. As long as you don't mind the squealing when cold they ought to hold up a while while staying consistent, at least that was the general nature of the Pagids on mine. When the time comes I'm looking at the DS1.11 with OEM replacements from FCP Euro for mine the same warranty and cost reasons.

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
I was running Pagid's on my R. They weren't too noisy in a forward stop, but applying them in reverse they were loud as heck. I am sure my neighbors are not missing the noise they made. I am hoping the Ferodo pads are quieter. A friend is running DSUNO pads on his GT350 and I don't recall his brakes making a whole lot of noise.

Congrats on the GT4. I've been jonesing for a 981 Cayman for a couple of years, and for my needs the GTS is the sweet spot in the range. When I found this one, optioned well and priced in the KBB dealer price range, I jumped on it.

turbojzrr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R
I sold the Golf to a dealer on Saturday and began to clean (as appropriate) and photograph the items taken off the car. I'm not done with that yet. When I am, I'll start a thread in the California regional forum.

Yesterday was devoted to the new car. I washed it, went over it with Wolfgang Paint Polish Enhancer and a PCROB, then finished with a coat of Blackfire liquid sealant and a wipe down with Blackfire spray sealant. I ordered new center caps from HRE but they have not arrived yet.

Nice Cliff! Thats 981 GTS is in amazing shape. life goals

q74

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
R
The GTS should be a good choice, one of the instructors with the group I run has one and they love it.

I am curious though, if you were to try and put all your unfortunate issues you encountered aside,and do a mini-review - how did you ultimately find the wavetrac & Ohlins (but specifically the Ohlins) combo for the track days you did get out? Would you say the Ohlin's were worth it over the GC DCC coilover kit?

Last edited:

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
The GTS should be a good choice, one of the instructors with the group I run has one and they love it.

I am curious though, if you were to try and put all your unfortunate issues you encountered aside,and do a mini-review - how did you ultimately find the wavetrac & Ohlins (but specifically the Ohlins) combo for the track days you did get out? Would you say the Ohlin's were worth it over the GC DCC coilover kit?

I began to experience regular suspension faults with the OE DCC struts/shocks starting in 2018, so I had to do something. Those faults caused DCC to shut down and I was left with Armstrong shocks with no computer controlled dynamic valving behind them. DCC is actually doing some very cool sh*t and it is keenly missed when you're pushing the car on track. KW Clubsports were also on my list in the fall of 2019 when I did all these mods, and I'm sure they would have been fine too. Ohlins won the availability race. As has been discussed in other threads on this site, you also want to run much firmer rear spring rates. (noobs reading this, refer to the first post in this thread for details on what I was running)

I'm not sure I'd do the Wavetrac again since the cost to harvest that exceeded the price I could get for it, so I left it in the car when I sold it.

A lot of our instructor corps in the Audi club run Porsches of various sorts. When it became apparent that I had to replace the Golf I decided I wanted a car that would be fine on track without needing modifications, and also do ok as my DD (at least for the next couple of years) and a Porsche is one of the few cars that could make that work. I did order my first mod today though: a set of Tarrett Racing brake caliper studs.

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
And loving the new Cayman. You going to detail your build here or on the Porsche forums?

I will probably post on rennlist as I don't think Porsche content is too relevant to a VW forum. And there won't be much build to detail. I went with the Porsche so that I could avoid the need to modify the car. I am taking a financial bath on the Golf and I am not going to repeat that experience with the new car. Wheels, tires and brake pads/rotors will be about it for the Cayman. I did order some Tarrett brake caliper studs, but those are more along the lines of precautionary maintenance rather than a performance modification. I might consider some GT3 adjustable LCA's at some point to get some camber up front, but I want to see what my tire wear looks like first.

I also have an early February appointment with a local PPF & Ceramic Pro installer to get the front of the car protected. It looks like it previously had PPF on it, and there are still pieces of it remaining on the rocker panels, in front of the rear fenders, headlight covers, partial mirrors, door edges, and door handle cups.

Cayman GTS-060009-20201206.jpg

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Looks good!

3 weeks is quite a while!! I thought it took me a while paint correcting an suv for a week straight, but I'll have to tell my wife to quit complaining because it's not three weeks! Lol

turbojzrr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R
I got the car back today after 3 weeks with the detailer for paint correction, paint protection film, and ceramic coating. It looks pretty good for a 6 year old non-metallic black car. Next visit (after I let the coating cure in my garage for a few days) is to the car audio shop to have them install a CAN bus cable.View attachment 204196
Seems like it was time well spent. Came out really well!