GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cliff's Grey Hare

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
So this is the gts correct? With the 2.5 liter?

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Good looking car!

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
2015 981 GTS - with the 3.4l NA 6-cyl
Ah I see. It almost looks like a 718. Is there any particular reason you didn't go with a 718? Or is the price difference not worth the performance

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
Ah I see. It almost looks like a 718. Is there any particular reason you didn't go with a 718? Or is the price difference not worth the performance

I prefer a normally aspirated flat 6 to a turbo flat four. This motor has soul, not to mention a 7800 rpm redline. The turbo fours, not so much. Also, this car was priced a good $15k less than any 982 GTS I saw. It is also optioned well with a manual transmission, X73 sport suspension (fixed shock rates rather than PASM, which is similar to DCC), Porsche Torque Vectoring (which includes a mechanical LSD), navigation, and GTS interior package.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I prefer a normally aspirated flat 6 to a turbo flat four. This motor has soul, not to mention a 7800 rpm redline. The turbo fours, not so much. Also, this car was priced a good $15k less than any 982 GTS I saw. It is also optioned well with a manual transmission, X73 sport suspension (fixed shock rates rather than PASM, which is similar to DCC), Porsche Torque Vectoring (which includes a mechanical LSD), navigation, and GTS interior package.

Nice find.

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
Ah makes sense yeah sounds like you got a hell of a deal. I was considering picking up either a 718 cayman, c7 grand sport, supra or a ttrs. All very different car but very capable. I heard really good things about the 718 and its potential but also heard it kinda covers up driver mistakes doesnt have that drivers connected feel.

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
Of all those cars, the Porsche is likely to have the most connected feel. I drove both a C5Z06 and a C6 Corvette a few years back and they were kind of numb. The C7 is an improvement over the previous generations, and while I have ridden in a C7GS on track I have not driven one. The TTRS is going to be a lot like the R in terms of chassis behaviors. No idea on the Supra other than it's basically a BMW manufactured by Magna Steyr, like the BMW Z4MC I used to own. It will likely be biased towards understeer, like my BMW, and it comes with a torque converter-based automatic which is less than engaging.

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
I've heard similar things in regards to those cars. I was leaning towards the 718 for that reason. For awhile I was looking at the lighting lap times on VIR that each of those cars got and the c7 gs, of course got the fastest time. Then I realized I cant drive any of those cars to that limit lol so I just wanna own the one that's gonna make me a better driver and still be fairly safe/reliable on track

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
Good choice with the flat 6. How is the cargo space? Do you think it will be relatively easy to daily drive?

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
Good choice with the flat 6. How is the cargo space? Do you think it will be relatively easy to daily drive?

Cargo space isn't bad. The rear trunk will hold my Renetto folding chair, a folding table, and I imagine I can pack in additional smaller items. The frunk is very capacious and should swallow a storage box with misc stuff, a duffel, computer bag, and hardshell case with Gopros and AiM Solo. I'll be traveling much lighter to track days going forward - no more 3 drawer portable toolbox and multiple storage boxes with spares and misc stuff. This car is a heck of a lot more practical than my Z4MC was. Vision out of it, especially to the rear, is far better than the Z4MC.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Porsche is probably the only manufacturer we have in the US where you can roll a car off the showroom and onto the track. I drove a 718 gts recently and it was an absolute blast! My buddy had it on track with my z recently and it surprisingly kept up with a very fast group!

Great car, congrats Cliff!

turbojzrr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R
I’m sad there will no longer be another VW at the local tracks as I feel like there are not many of us around, but man that Porsche looks great and I bet it’ll be a blast on the track. Spent part of Saturday chasing one down... I hope it’s faster than the R!
View attachment 192222
Im going to Laguna Seca with my R for the first time this coming weekend. Completely stock car. Hope to represent :)

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
The Porsche provides a much better soundtrack than my Golf did. I forgot to bring my OBDII cable so I only ran a front facing GoPro Hero 5 Black. My best lap time was the same as my best in the R 2 years ago when we last ran the 1CW track configuration. I was on the OE tires for this event, which did ok considering they were OE tires. The 255/235R19 front and 275/35R19 rear RE71R tires were mounted yesterday. The DS2500 pads seem a little overmatched. There was no fade, but they would lose bite over time. When they're done I'll try Ferodo DS1.11 racing pads, also available through FCP Euro.