GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cliff's Grey Hare

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
That’s good news. 9/20 is still doable.

I’ve gotten feedback from a Miata and BMW owners that the Ohlins R&Ts suit a dual purpose track/daily car. The dual flow piston/valving working well to soak up bumps.

A good friend of mine from Seattle runs Ohlins on his Mk5 R32. He does 35-40 track days a year (he's an instructor with the ACNW, BMWCCA, and PCA), drives to Wookies once a year, and comes down to do California events 4-5 times a year. So I knew they would be fine on a dual duty car.

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
The appointment to have the work done is scheduled for 9/9 and Griffin will have the car for the entire week. Ohlins couldn't support the custom springs with parts available in-house but they provided Griffin with the Swift springs part numbers.

So...list o' stuff being done to the car:

• Install RacingLine oil catch can
  • Install IE intercooler
  • Install Wavetrac diff
  • Fluid service on the bevel box and rear diff
  • Install Ohlins coilovers and Ground Control camber plates
  • Alignment and corner balance
  • Replace LCA and RTA bushes with Superpro (SPF4195K, SPF4175K, SPF4176K)
  • Install Tyrolsport deadset kit
  • Machine seatbelt bolts to accept Schroth quickfit tails and install tails

SRoads

Ready to race!
The appointment to have the work done is scheduled for 9/9 and Griffin will have the car for the entire week. Ohlins couldn't support the custom springs with parts available in-house but they provided Griffin with the Swift springs part numbers.

So...list o' stuff being done to the car:

• Install RacingLine oil catch can
  • Install IE intercooler
  • Install Wavetrac diff
  • Fluid service on the bevel box and rear diff
  • Install Ohlins coilovers and Ground Control camber plates
  • Alignment and corner balance
  • Replace LCA and RTA bushes with Superpro (SPF4195K, SPF4175K, SPF4176K)
  • Install Tyrolsport deadset kit
  • Machine seatbelt bolts to accept Schroth quickfit tails and install tails

Super interested in how the wavetrac performs...are you also disabling the XDS+ with vagcom? I would love to get a group together to encourage Autotech to make a rear diff also.

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
Super interested in how the wavetrac performs...are you also disabling the XDS+ with vagcom? I would love to get a group together to encourage Autotech to make a rear diff also.

I am too, and I am not planning on it, respectively. I have been driving on track for the past year (~12 HPDE days) leaving traction control fully enabled and the system has only intevened once, at my last track day when the DCC system failed and shut itself down. That event is what precipitated my move to coilovers.

I am basically building to the SCCA's Solo STU spec, which specifies that only one LSD can be installed on an AWD car that does not come with an LSD from the factory.

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
I am too, and I am not planning on it, respectively. I have been driving on track for the past year (~12 HPDE days) leaving traction control fully enabled and the system has only intevened once, at my last track day when the DCC system failed and shut itself down. That event is what precipitated my move to coilovers.

I am basically building to the SCCA's Solo STU spec, which specifies that only one LSD can be installed on an AWD car that does not come with an LSD from the factory.
How competitive would the chassis be in STU?

SRoads

Ready to race!

DCC failed? Details.

XDS+ is active all the time and is a subset of the traction control system...the car still uses the brakes to mimic the function of a lsd; TCS on, sport, or off it's putting heat into the brakes. Disabling the XDS+ function would not have any affect on TCS intervention.

I do wholeheartedly agree you from the perspective that you should not need to disable TCS at the track; if you are driving the car properly it will rarely if ever be upset enough to really engage in any meaningful way. People, in general, complaining about TCS intervention in the mk5 through mk7 platform on open track days are over driving the car and are the type that installs 2-3K in power mods before the first track day, before they do pads/fluid/tires. They never really install the driver mod(seat time) before changing parts improve or change the performance dynamics of the car. It's the driver over driving the car that causes the engagement of TCS... autocross though sometimes the extra slip can be advantageous, to me it does make sense to be in tcs off or sport.

Last edited:

SRoads

Ready to race!
Last edited:

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
Sorry...

I didn't wear my perfect person unicorn underwear today....:). I will try and do better.

Those are some super high rates for stock shocks, but that doesn't really matter anymore. Thoughts on upgrading swaybars?

For the oiling issues there is also a revised PCV part 06k 103 495 BL, that has a different design.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/separator/06k103495bl/

Ground Control specified the spring rates when they had my car to develop Mk7 suspension products in Feb 2016. They have been on the car for 3 years, over 30,000 miles, and 45 HPDE days, and they have been fine.

My upgraded rear sway is listed in the mod list in post 1. I don't want a stiffer front bar as it would likely increase understeer without conferring any other benefits. The car has fairly neutral handling as it sits right now. I can provoke a spin, but I have to work at it.

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
I do wholeheartedly agree you from the perspective that you should not need to disable TCS at the track; if you are driving the car properly it will rarely if ever be upset enough to really engage in any meaningful way. People, in general, complaining about TCS intervention in the mk5 through mk7 platform on open track days are over driving the car and are the type that installs 2-3K in power mods before the first track day, before they do pads/fluid/tires. They never really install the driver mod(seat time) before changing parts improve or change the performance dynamics of the car. It's the driver over driving the car that causes the engagement of TCS... autocross though sometimes the extra slip can be advantageous, to me it does make sense to be in tcs off or sport.

Quoting your late edit, which I just noticed. I fully disable ESC for autocross events as I intentionally push the car to or beyond its limits there. I use autocross as an opportunity to practice car control in a low-to-no risk environment. I am not willing to accept those risks on track.

SRoads

Ready to race!
Quoting your late edit, which I just noticed. I fully disable ESC for autocross events as I intentionally push the car to or beyond its limits there. I use autocross as an opportunity to practice car control in a low-to-no risk environment. I am not willing to accept those risks on track.

yes, I agree. You do undertand the XDS and TCS are two different functions? and my orginal post was never talking about disabling any traction functions.

Last edited: