GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cliff's Grey Hare

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
Did you buy one?!!

Not yet, but Carmax had one that is being shipped up here from San Diego and should arrive in a couple of weeks. It has moderately high miles on it (46k) but the price is moderate. Except for the power seats that weigh a bazillion pounds, it is optioned well. Items standard on the GTS include a limited slip, sport chrono (rev matching with the manual when in sport plus mode), sports exhaust, and an additional radiator, along with some cosmetic stuff.
Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 1.16.08 PM.png

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Not yet, but Carmax had one that is being shipped up here from San Diego and should arrive in a couple of weeks. It has moderately high miles on it (46k) but the price is moderate. Except for the power seats that weigh a bazillion pounds, it is optioned well. Items standard on the GTS include a limited slip, sport chrono (rev matching with the manual when in sport plus mode), sports exhaust, and an additional radiator, along with some cosmetic stuff.
View attachment 190347

If you don't buy it I might!

Would it replace your R for all duties, or just for track duty?

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
I am having Griffin return the car to stock. That will hopefully be done by 11/12 when the Porsche is supposed to arrive here in town, and I'll give Carmax the R in trade. So the Cayman will be my only car for a while.

I'm giving some friends first dibs on the goodies coming off the car, but you'll likely see some for sale posts from me eventually.

Last edited:

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI S 6MT
I am having Griffin return the car to stock. That will hopefully be done by 11/12 when the Porsche is supposed to arrive here in town, and I'll give Carmax the R in trade. So the Cayman will be my only car for a while.

I'm giving some friends first dibs on the goodies coming off the car, but you'll likely see some for sale posts from me eventually.
Hell yeah!! Im psyched for you. Sweet looking car.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
[

Nice. Maybe Mike will buy the whole lot since the poor SPB is no more? Not sure if he's planning on tracking his R a lot more or not.

(If nobody takes that schroth harness put me on the list tho!)

Last edited:

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
It looks like my PPI and wheel problems are solved. A friend of mine operates a Porsche restoration shop in the city where I live: "We can put it on a rack, paint meter it, inspect for damage and perform a code scan and ignition event (overrev) report". Another friend turned in his leased 718 GTS for a 911 a few months ago and has a set of 19" HRE FF01 wheels in Tarmac with 255/35-285/35 PSC2 scrubs on them. It looks like my black on black CGTS will be murdered out.

123142861_991867604623898_7647205539368515637_n.jpg

turbojzrr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R
hey Cliff, been following your build thread and it seemed to have been an amazing journey.

Curious, what kind of times did the R do on Laguna Seca at its best? I am trying to decide myself if I want to go down a similar build or should I do what you're doing now which is to sell it for a Stock Porsche? I've also got the Golf as a daily and hope to do a few seasons of SpeedSF with it.

Your thoughts on the R MQB platform is much appreciated.

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI S 6MT
hey Cliff, been following your build thread and it seemed to have been an amazing journey.

Curious, what kind of times did the R do on Laguna Seca at its best? I am trying to decide myself if I want to go down a similar build or should I do what you're doing now which is to sell it for a Stock Porsche? I've also got the Golf as a daily and hope to do a few seasons of SpeedSF with it.

Your thoughts on the R MQB platform is much appreciated.
We have a thread that consolidates everyone's lap times.

"Official" Lap Times Thread

The first post has a link to a drive doc. There are a handful of LS times on here. Good luck with the journey and let us know what you decide! Hope it helps.

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
My best was a 1:49.272. My car is clearly capable of more since Randy Pobst ran a 1:46.9 in a stock car. Of course unlike me he is a talented driver, and he had the track all to himself.

55 track days with a stage 1 tune along with another 5 days on the stock motor hit the limit of my engine's reliability. My car has a total of 63 HPDE days on it. It probably needs a built short block like what Integrated Engineering will sell you in order to be reliable for regular track use with a tune.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
@Cliff Ed said that you were responsible for the picture on the boost season sale. Great job it's beautiful.